DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   JVC GY-HMZ1U ProHD 3D Camcorder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/501372-jvc-gy-hmz1u-prohd-3d-camcorder.html)

David M. Cole January 4th, 2012 08:41 AM

Re: JVC GY-HMZ1U ProHD 3D Camcorder

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prech Marton (Post 1707198)
....Sony TD10 is also so noisy in lowlight?

The Sony HXR-NX3D1 IS very noisy in low light! It's the camera's Achilles heel... that and no manual white balance in 3D.

Saturnin Kondratiew January 4th, 2012 12:53 PM

seems like NO MANUAL WHITE BALANCE is not only the sonys problem but also the JVC TD1 EVERIO. There is a white balance options but its limited because when you turn on this one auto focus setting.. the setting actually on the fly corrects the WB as you hit your focus points. IT is such a frustrating function and i'm quite surprised the JVC ppl didnt think to have a OFF button for it.

Chad Dyle January 14th, 2012 12:44 PM

My kids are having a combined birthday party tomorrow with slides and bouncy castles. I just shot some footage of my son running around the front yard to make sure I had the settings right. I decided to leave it in full auto to see how it looked. After splitting/reviewing in FCP, it isn't grainy, but there just isn't a sharpness that I see with some of my older video cameras. Maybe I should just be happy that it records 3D in certain situations and deal with it. I'll try to post some stuff up this week. I also want to shoot something in 3D and then again in 2D to see if I can see a quality difference.

-Chad

Prech Marton January 14th, 2012 01:25 PM

Saturnin: please explain more this problem (with another words), i don't understand it.

Chad Dyle January 20th, 2012 09:12 AM

I'm going to be putting my JVC GY-HMZ1U up for sale. We are getting into the busy season in a few weeks and I just don't have the time to learn new hardware/software at this point. I was debating putting it up on here or Ebay.

-Chad

Carlton Bright January 20th, 2012 09:52 AM

Hi Chad,
It sounds like you are not happy with the camera in general.
It took a while to get into the swing of it, but here is 2 minutes of footage with the JVC (the GS-TD1) and some of the footage is with the Cyclopital base-extender, and a few macro lenses too.

The camera reminds me of the WWII "Jeep" or the 1960's VW Bug..you add to it, etc.

Prech Marton January 30th, 2012 03:47 AM

What do you guys recommend for recording nice 3D nature footage?
TD1/Z1U is not sharp enough, TD10/NX3D1 has lot of noise in lowlight,
TD20 base is very small, Pana Z10000 is out of the budget..
Why Canon don't release a good, affordable cam? Because they don't have 3DTV-s?

Chad Dyle February 19th, 2012 10:55 PM

I ride in a Mardi Gras parade (Thoth) each year and usually bring a camera to two to play with during our stops. I decided to give the JVC another shot. These are the settings I used:

Manual
Scene Select Off
Focus Auto
Brightness Adjust Auto
Shutter Speed Auto
Aperture Priority Manual
White Balance Auto
Backlight Comp Off
Zebra 70-80%
Cinema Off
Touch Priority AE/AF Off
DIS +1
Gain Up Off
Wind Cut Off
Grid Off
Time Lapse Off
System Select 24p
User Button Setting controlled Aperture
3D Sound On
Mic Level On
Mic Level Setting 0

With these settings the camera should autofocus and allow me to adjust the Aperture by using the User button. I had it set to 5.6 most of the time, which is as high as it would go. After converting the footage, it just doesn't look that sharp. Am I doing something wrong here? Is this camera defective? I can understand getting the grainy look when shooting low light, but this was outside. I have uploaded one of the files for you to look at and give me your thoughts.

www.dylefilms.com/Files/MardiGras.mp4

I would appreciate any help/suggestions that you can offer.

Thank you,

Chad Dyle
Dyle Films - Wedding/Event Videography

Bruce Schultz February 20th, 2012 03:12 PM

I'm looking through this thread after a few off weeks and I'd like to chime in and say that as an owner of 4 different 3D cameras ( Panasonic 3DA1, Sony NX3D1, Sony TD10, and an F3 mirror rig) my experiences with the NX3D1 in 24P and TD10 in 60i are more pleasing than what's been described here about the JVC and Panasonic cameras. The posts that point out that both Sony 3D cameras exhibit noise at low light levels are correct, however, in decently or well lit as well as exterior settings the performance is very acceptable and maintain good degrees of sharpness. It also appears to be easier to split and edit the MVC footage out of the Sony's vs others.

Chad Dyle February 20th, 2012 05:26 PM

Bruce,

I have heard from others that have had good luck with this camera. I have contacted JVC to see what my options are. Did you have a chance to look at the clip I linked? That is the look that I get, no matter if the camera is in Auto or Manual. Hopefully I will hear back from JVC with some thoughts/ideas. I'm also not sure how popular this camera is right now. I haven't found a lot of info on other forums.

-Chad

Paul Newman February 21st, 2012 05:44 AM

Chad,

I just checked your clip, wow, its really noisy, especially for daylight. Also it has very bad encoder artifacts too - and it appears quite soft.

I only have my Sony TD10 to compare this with in the 3D camera range, but I'm used to my EX1 in basic quality terms, and I must say whilst the TD10 does suffer a little from low light noise, it continues to surprise me with its overall image quality.

Anything which is noisy is easily treated with NeatVideo plugin, which cleans up noisy material extremely well.

Is the JVC recording at its highest bit rate? I know this sounds stupid, but it looks like 7mbs rather that say 28mbs avchd.

Hope you sort it out

Paul :-)

Carlton Bright February 21st, 2012 06:25 AM

Chad,
Perhaps that camera is indeed defective.
The footage looks like the GAIN is always on and cannot be turned off, and does not get overridden by adaquate light or something,
That is just a hunch.
C-

Maybe you can do an A-B comparison with an Identical model?

Chad Dyle February 21st, 2012 11:32 AM

Paul: The only thing I'm doing to the clips is using the JVC program to split them. Anything else is all done in camera. I have the Neat plug-in and it is amazing. I just don't want to think that I have to use it on everything the camera captures.

Carlton: I'm still waiting to hear back from JVC on the camera. The Gain has on/off and I always keep it on off, even in Auto. I don't know of any camera out there that won't jack up the Gain as far as it can. I'm going to try to 2D/3D stuff later and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

Carlton Bright February 21st, 2012 12:31 PM

The camera appears to use gain even though you have it switched off.
It could be a defective camera.

As a seperate issue, how does the squeezed AVCHD look?

Chad Dyle February 21st, 2012 04:43 PM

Carlton,

The camera seemed to work best in direct daylight when we were at the Pumpkin patch for Halloween. I put a few clips together and threw it up on our 3D projector. I was happy with the quality. The only issue is the gain problem.

Carlton Bright February 21st, 2012 10:05 PM

Ah, well the graininess of the Mardi Gras footage has the look of a camera with its gain is permanantly on, whether the gain switch is on or off, or in low light or in bright sun light.
Just tossing that out as a thought-
Good luck with the camera.
C-

Chad Dyle February 22nd, 2012 07:36 AM

JVC contacted me yesterday and I forwarded them the footage. I'll keep you all updated on what happens.

-Chad

Chad Dyle March 3rd, 2012 01:04 PM

I'm still waiting to hear back from JVC. The support rep that contacted me hasn't been able to download one of my clips from my ftp site, direct email or the upload link that JVC sent me. Maybe it isn't the camera after all, maybe my computer just hates me. I'm starting to get a little aggravated with the support team and making a direct call doesn't seem to work either.

Chad Dyle May 10th, 2012 05:54 PM

If there are any users of the GY-HMZ1U out there, would you be kind enough to email me the L/R splitter software that came with the camera? My iMac died and I can't find the disc. I need to get some footage off of it that I shot this past weekend. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chad Dyle

Jim Harp July 1st, 2012 07:38 AM

Hello all, I'm new here and greatly appreciate all the information. My main interest in 3D has been still photography, particularly medium-format film. I do have a W3 which I've shot some video on.

The GY-HMZ1U is currently available at B&H for $969, (!!!) only $120 more than the "non-pro" GS-TD1. At that price I couldn't resist it. I shot some test footage at a carnival last night using the AVCHD mode. I'm very impressed with the quality of the images in low light as seen on my LG42LM6200 TV.

One comment - why don't manufacturers put levels on the top of these devices?

Prech Marton July 25th, 2012 01:32 PM

Still no easy solution for importing JVC 3D files into Vegas?
Just the left right splitting with recompressing? :-(

Giroud Francois July 28th, 2012 06:55 PM

already got a TD10 and NX3D1, and well with the JVC priced under $1000, i think i will give it a try.
the TD10 is great (used it while skiing and in Cuba). Great result most of the time and it plays nicely on my 55" Samsung. Unfortunately the damn 24p is missing and this requires a lot of trickery if you want to save some footage on BD. This camera is defintely ok for family use (shoot and replay later, from camera), but defintely has no place in a professional set-up.
on the other hand the NX3D1 is just the missing link (same as TD10 but with 24p) , but Wow!, almost 3 times the price of the TD10 and now 3 time the price of the JVC !
If only i could get rid of my TD10 ! But experience shows the resale value for this camera is nil and the sale price has bee cut in half since the camera was released (starting a $1500 and now you can find it at $800). It is time Sony wakes up and set the price of the NX3D1 to a reasonable level.

Wolfgang Schmid July 29th, 2012 12:04 PM

Well, there is another solution for Vegas if you have - at least - an older Edius or Neo Version. Then you could use the actual AVCHD2HQ converter, and could convert the JVC files to mpeg2 or the Canopus HQ or HQX codec, separated for L and R if you wish.

The codecs are free by now.

The converter will work only if there is at least an older Neo or Edius in your system.

There is only a luminance issue with both the Canopus HQand HQX codec in Vegas, but for that we have a solution (some registry entries that have to be done).

But with that you could edit the JVC footage with the quite good Canopus codecs in Vegas.

Marcello Mazzilli August 20th, 2012 06:25 PM

This is my experience..(Got it today....)

While I was charging the battery I watched Tim Dashwoods BluRay3D on the camera (it shipped with the camera) and I got a lot of useful tips.... (funny because the first tip was to set the battery to charge before watching the video and that was exactly what I was doing!) ...

Being the first day I left all in auto except for the parallax that I was adjusting myself while experimenting.. Actually I had the parallax menu open all the time both in REC and PAUSE.

Today it was a nice day... lot of sun.. and I have to say quality is really good. I connected the camera directly to the Samsung Series 8000 3D through the fast HDMI cable I got with the camera... Samsung immediatly recognised the FULL HD 3D Mode (MVC files) and switched itself in 3D turning on the glasses by itself... to me that was "magic".. I could immediatly see the result of my shooting and quality was great.

In the afternoon I did some editing.. just to see what would have happened ... I split the footage with the bundled sofwtare... Then... In Adobe Premiere I created a custom 3840x1080 sequence called "footage" with Left stream on the left and right stream on the right both in full res. Then I opened a new sequence called "left edit" at standard HD size, put in "footage" and moved so I was just seeing the left part and I did my editing there (just cuts and dissolves).

Once I was happy I copyied the sequenze, renamed it "right edit" and moved all the clips to the left, thus showing the right part of the macro-sequence "footage". This I did just with copy from one clip and paste to all.

In after FX I created a 3D title with a similar method. Wrote a title, made it a 3D layer, added a 3D camera (with all option active include "point of interest") and animated the layer towards the camera. Then I made a copy of this same composition. After I went back inside the compositions and moved the position of one camera 60 pixel left and in the second composition 60 pixel right (I changed the position but kept the same point of interest). Now I had my 2 graphic strams for the title.

Back to premiere and put each stream on top of the corresponding video... and I had my 2 streams, edited and with a 3D animated title.

Finally I composed the streams in TWO diffeent ways.. I made a SBS composition (squashing the two channels) and a Anaglyph version (using channelmixer + difference overlay).. Here are the results...

http://www.siroma.com/temp/myfirst3d_Anaglyph.mp4
http://www.siroma.com/temp/myfirst3d_sbs.mp4

Lots of work (and results!) for the first day...

Overall I am happy with the camera.. I will do low light test in the near future...

Up to now what I think is bad (but I knew this before getting it) is the lack of manual controls (aperture, focus, zoom) that also means too much clicking on the touch screen. It also would have been appreciated (specially because is the only difference with the TD10) more work on the "handle"... It could have had a REC button or maybe even a focus assist button. Also maybe there should have been a menu switch between external and internal mic to avoid having to unplug the cable for the external ones (just a cleaner solution). Finally they really should bundle a software for putting back together, given to HD streams, a MVC Bluray3D standard file....

Some questions...

1) Are the parallax data written somewhere in the metadata? I am asking this because somebody one day could use these data to create 3D info for after FX or similar software

2) To me SBS looses very much compared to MVC... I think it should need more brightning when exported but also.. maybe.. (mmm) If you know that you are going to distribute in SBS you should give more parallax during shopping....Am I wrong?

3) Is it possible that just to add a polarizer (that I think would improve quality of 3D) in the front I have to spend 199$ on Cyclope's adaptor ?!... We are just talking of "a bit of metal" to screw in the front... Anybody know of any alternative ?

Thanks to all

Wolfgang Schmid August 21st, 2012 01:52 AM

If you want it the hard way continue to use a software that is not designed for 3D! :)

Sure sbs half has the reduced resolution, compared to MVC. That is why it is a nice idea to render to sbs-full - or to have an MVC-encoder in your software that allows you to generate a true - MVC-based - 3D-Blu-ray. There are tools that can do that - Vegas Moviestudio 12, or Vegas Pro 10/11. That tools have also their s3d plugin. But be aware that Vegas will not edit the MVC files - you have to work with the splitter.

To my opinion, the parallax data are not written in a header, but in the encoded video - the MVC stream maintaints both an independend video stream and an dependend video stream, that are muxed together. An NLE that can read that shows you the two sides in a correct way.

Marcello Mazzilli August 21st, 2012 02:37 AM

I don't understand... you speak about software not made for 3D...
What software does real 3D EDITING (not esporting.. as I understand Vegas does).
I mean... are there any softwares that let me for example make DVD transitions keeping in mind a 3D audience? Or making a title moving in 3D? I mean some software that together with position, scale, transparency... has a Z axis position... I mean.. After FX has this but it's not immediate to get it to speak with a two stream video... you have to do effects separate from the editing.. is not a 3D editing software.. and I think it doesn't exist.. Maybe I am worng

Wolfgang Schmid August 21st, 2012 05:51 AM

Sure that exists. Vegas Pro, Vegas Moviestudio, Edius 6.5, Cyberlinks PD10, Magix Pro X4....

... with all that tools you have s3D plugins with different development levels, and you can shift the zero level for video, but you can also do that for titles or transitions, you can make color corrections for L or R in a separate way, and you can apply the s3D plugin to different effects. So that exists.

If you like to use CS, then think about to use CS together with the Cineform products
Cineform - you may end up with Cineformstudio Premium. Or you have a look to the Dashwood solutions for FCP or AE Stereo3D Toolbox Plugin Suite

Marcello Mazzilli August 21st, 2012 11:10 AM

So all these softwares read parrallax and lens info so to create and adapt 3d effects compatibile with the inported video?

Anmol Mishra August 19th, 2014 05:14 AM

A question regarding timelapse on this camcorder. The resolution of the sensors is 3.2 mp each. Is there a setting on the timelapse that allows recording 3.2mp per channel in 3d?

Or are we stuck at 1080p even for timelapse.

Jim Michael August 19th, 2014 10:32 AM

Looks like you might have to build your own intervalometer to send the appropriate IR signal for the remote "snap shot" command. Should be doable with a simple Arduino script and IR emitter.

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/3D...User_guide.pdf p18 and 25

Anmol Mishra August 19th, 2014 10:37 AM

Pg. 55
3D Still image are only 1920 by 1080.

Stupid JVC!!

Jim Michael August 19th, 2014 01:53 PM

May still have less compression in still mode?