DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   Sideways (portrait) video cameras on 3D rig? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/504803-sideways-portrait-video-cameras-3d-rig.html)

Matt Faw January 27th, 2012 04:54 PM

Sideways (portrait) video cameras on 3D rig?

Dear all, I'm seeking advice on a rig for an upcoming greenscreen shoot, interviews of sitting subjects.

In 2D world, if I have a vertical subject in front of a greenscreen, I turn the camera sideways, to use as much of the 16X9 sensor as possible, instead of wasting all the pixels to left and right of the subject.

I'd like to follow this same strategy for the 3D shoot: have 2 cameras turned on their side, either side-by-side (bottom-to-bottom?) or via a mirror rig, I'd love to hear your recommendations for a rig that could pull this off easily. I should not need to zoom, move, nor change iris or focus, during the shots.

p.s. I'm hoping to use a decent pair of rented cameras for this purpose, but in a pinch, I may end up using my GoPros. So any suggestions as to how best to rig and align them are also quite welcome.

Thanks!

Matt Faw March 28th, 2012 08:28 PM

Re: Sideways (portrait) video cameras on 3D rig?

I wanted to bump this thread, because I'm 11 days away from shooting, and still need to get over this hurdle.

Recommendations are very appreciated!

Jesse Blanchard March 29th, 2012 10:43 AM

I think doing bottom-to-bottom is probably the way to go. If you're getting the entire subject sitting then you'll have to be 7+ feet away from them anyways, right? If you are doing a traditional CU shot of the interviewee, I'd shoot standard with a mirror rig and move in.

You could try and mount some sort of L bracket so that cameras are at 90° within the rig but that introduces potential alignment problems and the camera has to fit into the rig.

Not knowing much beyond what's in your post, I would recommend to just 'waste' the pixels and shoot it standard. Can you pull a decent key off of a GoPro? Never tried.

Matt Faw March 29th, 2012 06:18 PM

Thanks a lot, Jesse, for the feedback. GoPro was my solution of last resort, but I think I have a better one, assuming I can afford the rental.

Sony Product Detail Page HDCP1

The HDCP1 seems made for this solution: boxlike, featureless on the sides. Maybe I can use a monitor tray on a c-stand, or similar. Plus, it has good chips.

I'm thinking I need a cheap video mixer, so I can make sure the cameras are aligned, but then (since it's greenscreen, and only the subject needs to be aligned) do the HIT in post.

Yeah, standard landscape would be simpler, but I will be placing the interviewees in virtual environments, and flying virtual cameras. So I want the resolution to be as high as possible, so the pixels don't get chunky when I get close to the image. This feels like a very elegant solution, even if it's one that's not often used.