DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   Any new genlock cameras at NAB? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/516045-any-new-genlock-cameras-nab.html)

Jesse Blanchard April 23rd, 2013 04:53 PM

Any new genlock cameras at NAB?

I'm looking at purchasing a couple Scarlets, F3's, or similar. Anyone have a camera with genlock they're particularly excited about I should consider? Thanks!

Wolfgang Schmid April 24th, 2013 02:00 AM

Re: Any new genlock cameras at NAB?

Jesse,

I would like to see your rig with two Scarlets... :)

... will be a nice investment, if I understand you right.

Sorry that I have no answer to your quesiton.

David M. Cole April 24th, 2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse Blanchard (Post 1792174)
I'm looking at purchasing a couple Scarlets, F3's, or similar. Anyone have a camera with genlock they're particularly excited about I should consider? Thanks!

Scarlets are workhorse 3D cameras... mine are racking up the sensor hours even as I type. Not quite as simple to rig as 2 EX3s, but close. Quality is outstanding. RAW workflow is addicting. 4K immediately becomes essential, even for 1080P productions. A horizontal image translation from a parallel rig is a dream when you have all that resolution to spare. Don't underestimate the cost, however... the RED tax gets ya with every cable, every gig of SSD, touch screens, etc.

Jesse Blanchard April 24th, 2013 09:17 AM

Thanks David for the response; it really takes my anxiety about the Scarlets down. How's post been? I'd heard before it was a nightmare but it looks to be pretty streamlined now. I'm on mac with CS6 (migrating from FCP7). Do you feel a Red Rocket is a must?

Wolfgang - I would love to see my rig with a couple Scarlet's too... :)
I'm dreaming of having all that resolution to play with for HIT.

David M. Cole April 24th, 2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse Blanchard (Post 1792293)
How's post been? I'd heard before it was a nightmare but it looks to be pretty streamlined now. I'm on mac with CS6...

I love the RED RAW workflow. It's freaking amazing not to have baked in decisions about gain and white balance. I guess if your an expert at getting everything right "in camera" then RAW is an extra hurtle. But, I am decidedly NOT such an expert.

You don't even need to touch the footage in REDCINE-X anymore, if you don't want to. I either first-light in Speedgrade, get the 3D and color all trued-up and export to Premiere Pro - or - do everything in Premiere Pro with Dashwood Stereo Toolbox and RE:Vision's StereoMatch plug-ins.

Tim Dashwood April 24th, 2013 06:58 PM

I'm personally most excited about the Sony F5. It's small, lightweight, has simple Alexa-style controls, and it has a dedicated "frame" connector that guarantees shutter sync with another F5, separate from the genlock. Each body can be purchased for under $17,000. 2K internal and 4K external record, with SLog2.

The Convergent Design Odyssey7Q will also be an interesting device for anyone working in 3D.

The F3 price has dropped considerably but I wouldn't shoot with them again unless I had the CBK3DL01 key+cable kit to go with them. I've had sync issues in the past just using genlock with them.

Jesse Blanchard April 25th, 2013 12:17 PM

Wow! Both the F5 and the Odyssey recorder look great. Not too hard to see a time when all the camera parts will be interchangeable from brand to brand. I love all the modular designs.