DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Additional Camera Support Topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/additional-camera-support-topics/)
-   -   Support help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/additional-camera-support-topics/41258-support-help.html)

Sonny Horsfall March 16th, 2005 05:04 PM

Support help

Hi, I wonder if anyone can offer me some advice.

I have a Manfrotto 503 head and whilst it does it's job when using the standard lens of my cameras I need better stability when using the EF adapter and longer lenses.

I recently bought a Manfrotto 316 head but when it arrived it appears it was damaged as I could not pan/tilt it even using both hands and standing on the legs!, due to poor customer care from the place of purchase (who I won't name on this occasion, I will put support down to an idiot rather than the companies policy) I returned it and refused a replacement, however, I still need a better head for my camera/lenses.

Could anyone confirm my choice is wise or offer something more suitable, whilst my available budget is not unlimited (currently around £500) I do need the right tool for the job.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for your time.
Sonny

Anthony Marotti March 16th, 2005 10:13 PM

Hello,

I just purchased a 516 a little while ago and for a Canon XL2, it's just fine. I would love a 316 though! It is priced at the real high end of low end, but really nice.

Seek retribution and get your 316 working!

Don't be insulted please, but you did check to make sure that you cleared any shipping attachments and locking screws, and that the Pan and Tilt locks were released, right?

Good Luck !

Sonny Horsfall March 17th, 2005 11:13 AM

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your reply, I think you may be right, I am still very tempted with the 316, I have not found anything on paper that seems to match it for the price.

I don't feel insulted by your coment on the obvious, I looked at for at least an hour or two before coming to the conclusion it was damaged.

I thought I MUST be doing something wrong!, I read and re-read the booklet that came with it and even asked the other half (non techie) to follow the instructions with the same result, I was somewhat dissapointed to send it back but it was usless in the state it was in.

My biggest problem is finding someone who has one now, I waited over 4 weeks for this one, I am not known for my patience at the best of times.

Still looking, Sonny

Richard Lewis March 17th, 2005 01:54 PM

Hey Sonny, why don't you try CreativeVideo, they should be able to help you with a suitable head.

or

B Hague, they seem to have lots of Manfrotto stuff.

Ron Armstrong March 17th, 2005 06:19 PM

Hi Sonny;

Consider a 100mm ball for your tripod and head. Most smaller units are marginal when you use long lenses. Also get a midlevel spreader for added stability. The RONSRAIL will give you the ability to balance and stabilize your camera - lens combo. Take a look at my website to see various combo's of head and lens setups.
Good luck;

Ron

Sonny Horsfall March 22nd, 2005 12:45 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I have now got a 316 which I can move. really glad that I went for it as it (on first impression) seems rock solid and pans really smooth.