DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Additional Camera Support Topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/additional-camera-support-topics/)
-   -   Building a small kit... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/additional-camera-support-topics/62587-building-small-kit.html)

Daniel Wang March 11th, 2006 03:35 AM

Building a small kit...

I'm building a small kit for my church, for fild production work, both by regular church members, volunteers, and expirienced lenslingers alike. It needs to be a handy cam, and have full audio and support capabilites. We already own a Sennheiser ME/K66, AudioTechnica 815b, Sennheiser G1 EW100 Handheld Condenser and Lavalier ENG set, and multiple handheld dynamic and condenser mics. Lighting (already owned) consists of 2 Lowel Omnis and a Tota Light, Rifalight, and 2 Softlights. Also, we already own a Sony MiniDV/DVCam VTR, and edit equipment, so only a camera, support, and perhaps some other ENG gadgets (on camera light, case, anything you can think of) are needed. 3 Chip with native 16:9 would be a plus, XLR I/O is a MUST. Management prefers a sub $5000 total.

I am looking at the Sony DSR PDX10, it meets most of the requirements, although I have heard that it's low light performance is not the best. Another, the Panasonic DVC30, but I am not sure about it's audio I/O. I was planning on going with Bogen/Manfrotto equipment, but have been looking at Bescor and Libec supports. I think under $200 for both brands, but I might be able to fit $579 for a Sachtler if some things can shift around, but I would love to hear what anybodies expirience with Bescor or Libec supports.

...also any ideas of a sub $150 on camera light? (Smith Victor or Bescor?)

Brendan Bhagan March 12th, 2006 12:20 AM

If you get the Dvc30 you can get an xlr box that will remedy any audio problems, the regular mic in isn't the best on it.

Ralph Keyser March 13th, 2006 12:25 PM

Daniel,

No personal experience with Bescor, but a bit of negative experience with Libec. Basically, their tripods are lightly and cheaply made, so my issue was just with durability over time. I would look at them as better suited for occasional, light-duty use.

As for on-camera lights, have you looked at Lowell's ID lights? Dimable and focusable, and very nice little 100w lights with a complete set of accessories available (including softboxes should you desire).

Eric Johnson March 26th, 2006 01:44 PM

You might want to check out some other mounting alternatives. I've seen ads for this bracket in the industry mags and at a Vegas trade show. You can find out if it will work for you at: scorpionsupport.com

Daniel Wang April 5th, 2006 09:40 PM

Sorry about the wait.

Sorry, been off in Mexico shooting a mission trip (with an old Ikegami 55' - ouch!)

After speaking with the director, we will probably be going with Bogen...seeing how stuff has a tendency to walk off around here...and we cant pay twice for a Sachtler. I am looking at the DVC30 but I like the PDX10 for it's DVCam compatibility. I'm not sure if I could really justify the purchase of something like a Beachtek box...which is kind of unreasonable. I was thinking of a used DVX100 or 100A but used is out of the question.

On the ID-Lights, I love Lowel stuff, as I said before, or main kit is omni, tota, rifa, and softlight - but I cant figure out a convenient way to power an ID. The Bebob Engineering...is not convenient (for me)

I looked at the Scorpion thing, I think I tried it at NAB last year and it wasnt something I'd want to use for a long while. Mounting an OnCam light, wireless receiver etc etc and holding it up? I'll pass. Cool and interesting nonetheless, but I've always thought the idea of resting it on the shoulder was to make the handycam look less cheeky - and stabalize. Nonetheless, my search continues.

If anyone has a good expirience with a particular 3 chip handycam let me know, I'm still planning.