DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Additional Camera Support Topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/additional-camera-support-topics/)
-   -   Help need to fix threads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/additional-camera-support-topics/68725-help-need-fix-threads.html)

Matthew Pugerude June 2nd, 2006 10:41 AM

Help need to fix threads

Any help here would be great I need to fix the threads on the camera (DVX100) so I can put it back on my sticks. Help I have a shoot coming up and I would rather to Gaff tape my camera to the sticks.

Don Bloom June 2nd, 2006 11:13 AM

If they're stripped you MIGHT be able to repair them with a machinists tap- go to the local home improvement store and get a 1/4X20 tap with a handle-start threading it in and carefully finish-watch out for any little metal shards-don't let them get into the camera.
IF that doesn't work then you might need to drill out the threads completely and place in a SLEEVE that is tapped on the inside to 1/4X20 and outside to a slightly bigger size to fit the new hole.
CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION!!!!!!! If you're not handy with a drill I might suggest you take it in to a repair facility and let them handle handle it. You can easily damage the camera if you're not careful.
From now on, why not use a quick release plate that fits your tripod head so you don't need to continuously use the screw attachment. It'll save you time and headaches.

Good luck,
Don

Matthew Pugerude June 2nd, 2006 11:35 AM

Thanks Don

Don I do use a plate for my sticks I just made a rig for and underwater camera that involves a monopod so I was trying to line up the lens and el snapo in the field made for a fun day of shooting. I was afraid I was going to have to retap it not something I wanted to do. But that is life in production I guess.

Don Bloom June 2nd, 2006 12:59 PM

Ahhh, I see. Well just be careful retapping-I've done it where I drilled right thru the bottom. Not a camera but another piece of gear a few years ago-cost me some cash to get it refixed. :-(

good luck,

Don

Francois Camoin June 2nd, 2006 02:47 PM

I remember stripping the sparkplug threads on an old Porsche years ago. A parts store sold me something that looked like a coil spring, which you could insert into the hole; it apparently locked in to the stripped threads and gave you the equivalent of retapping without any of the hazards. You might try your local machine shop. Cost me about a buck back then, and saved me about $1500 to take off the head and retap the hole.

Matthew Pugerude June 2nd, 2006 08:47 PM

Thanks

Hey Francois
I remember something like that mentioned before but I could not remember what it was called or even how to start to explain it to anyone. Do you think this could be a Home depot or Lowes kind of thing?

Greg Boston June 2nd, 2006 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francois Camoin
I remember stripping the sparkplug threads on an old Porsche years ago. A parts store sold me something that looked like a coil spring, which you could insert into the hole; it apparently locked in to the stripped threads and gave you the equivalent of retapping without any of the hazards. You might try your local machine shop. Cost me about a buck back then, and saved me about $1500 to take off the head and retap the hole.

They are called "Helicoil" inserts.

Matthew,

You can get them at many hardware stores. I have used many of them over the years. You just have to make sure you have enough solid material surrounding the original hole to drill out the larger size.

The kit will come with the correct drill bit, a few inserts, and a specialized tool for putting the insert into the hole. You can buy replacement packs for each size.

Theya are available in many sizes. Check out http://www.helicoil.com for more info.

-gb-

Matthew Pugerude June 2nd, 2006 09:20 PM

Thank you Greg

Hey thanks Greag and Francois