DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Training for Adobe Creative Suite 3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/100255-training-adobe-creative-suite-3-a.html)

Gerald Ingram August 1st, 2007 12:48 PM

Training for Adobe Creative Suite 3

I have just purchased the new Adobe Creative Suite 3 Production Premium software set and now I need to learn how to efficiently and effectively use this suite of programs for my video editing productions. Can anyone recommend a source for either one-on-one training or classroom training? I have subscribed to lynda.com, but would like to get up and running as quickly as possible. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Steven Gotz August 1st, 2007 02:05 PM

Watching the videos on Lynda.com should get you most of the way to your goal. While private lessons are available, the expense is prohibitive unless you are really desperate.

I don't know about other trainers, but my rates are $1000 per day plus travel with a two day minimum. That is for one to six in a class. The same info can be had with Total Training or Lynda.com

The only time I suggest training with me one-on-one is when you already have footage and have specific questions. I have to admit that using my services to get started is a bit pricey unless you are in a really big hurry.

I have to ask what part of Lynda.com you have already tried and found wanting?

Gerald Ingram August 1st, 2007 07:49 PM

Thanks Steve

for the quick response. I have only perused the lynda.com videos briefly and worked a little with the trial version of Premier. My thinking was for some help in maximizing the total suite workflow.
I am installing a new hard drive for the suite (since it takes up 24 gigs of space as I understand it) and should have the programs installed this weekend. I agree that the one-on-one approach is pricey.

Steven Gotz August 1st, 2007 09:46 PM

Send me an email with your phone number and a good time to chat. I might be able to give you a brief overview to get you started.

I am working on a DVD that explains how it all fits together, but we are looking at a September release at best.

Ivan Barbarich August 2nd, 2007 08:20 PM

Hi Gerald,

Heres a link to a few of my video tutes, to give you an idea. Brief examples of working with PP2.

http://www.esnips.com/web/Premiere-Pro-2-Video-Tutes

Floris van Eck August 4th, 2007 09:39 AM

I would recommend the Total Training series. I am currently working with Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 and use the Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 training series. There are only a few big differences between 2.0 and CS3. But I am like 5 hours in and I did not have any problems following the exercises.

They also have a series for the whole Creative Suite 2 but I am not sure how good/complete it is. And I would not go for the personal route if you are just starting. Buy a good book, buy Total Training and when you are done with it, then find someone who can help you fill in the gaps. I am really enthusiastic about the Total Training series. I also have the VASST training series for Vegas. And although they are nice, they are much more unstructured and I sometimes had a difficulty following what they were doing exactly.

I am not sure if you are a beginning, intermediate or advanced but Adobe also offers some great books to start with. Don't get me wrong, I really believe in 1 on 1 training and there is no DVD/book that can replace it. But I would not spend a lot of money on the basic principles/basic functions but save my money for the advanced tricks and magic that you can do with the program.

I hope you find the right solution that works best for you!

Michael DAmbrose August 4th, 2007 10:02 AM

CS3 Production Premium came with a registration bonus -- I chose 1 free month of Lynda.com. For 1 month, you get access to all their online courses - and they are high quality and entertaining. I love them and will probably subscribe on an as needed basis in the future.

Mike

K.C. Luke August 5th, 2007 05:44 AM

The 2 Master Training company program on web and CD-ROM:

"Lynda.com and Total Training"

Gerald Ingram August 5th, 2007 09:21 AM

Thanks to All...

for the great advice and information.