DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   CS3 and strange playback issue... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/107823-cs3-strange-playback-issue.html)

D.J. Segler November 12th, 2007 10:36 PM

CS3 and strange playback issue...

Just upgraded to Premiere CS3...

All is well except that on occasion (about 50% of the time), if I leave a project open for a while and play back a rendered sequence, the video on my program monitor (2nd PC monitor) looks jittery almost like the fields are swapped...

If I restart Premiere, sometimes it goes away...

Usually, I have to reboot the PC and restart Premiere, but then it comes back randomly...

Also notice that it occurs on imported clips when I preview them in the source monitor...

HOWEVER, at any time - if I pull these clips up in Windows Media Player, they are smooth as glass on either monitor...

What's going on!!!???

D.J. Segler November 13th, 2007 12:08 PM

By the way - I've tried playing around with almost all of the combinations of playback settings and none of them seem to make it better. Some make it a little worse - but it can't get much worse than it already is...

Ideas? Someone's sure to have gone through this already...

D.J. Segler November 14th, 2007 01:11 PM

I can't believe nobody else has experienced this!???

Anyone?

Brian Brown November 14th, 2007 07:10 PM

I would make sure your video driver is up to date. If you drag the source monitor onto your PC monitor #1 do you still experience the same issues? And is this monitor being fed a PC signal (VGA or DMI) or one from a composite or s-video connection of your video card or Firewire/camera feed?

Video overlay on your card could be acting up.

Just trying to throw some things out there...

Brian Brown

D.J. Segler November 14th, 2007 08:42 PM

Good questions but...

- Already loaded the latest drivers with no impact...
- The playback is the same regardless of the monitor
- Both monitors are connected via standard VGA (although the main monitor is connected to the DVI output using a VGA adapter - very standard).

I'll dig further into the overlay thing - but I'm doubtful since I can drag a windows media window playing video around both monitors and it continues to play smoothly...

D.J. Segler November 18th, 2007 10:44 PM

Bump... Anyone have any ideas?

Bart Walczak November 20th, 2007 10:31 AM

Sounds like memory problem - how much RAM does our computer have and what is your CPU? Are there any other applications running at the same time?

D.J. Segler November 20th, 2007 12:06 PM

Well - it's an AMD 64 2xAthlon. I do only have 1Gig and have thought about increasing that as well...

I use this machine for audio work as well and have it scrubbed and optimized for this type of work. And it only gets used for this work...

I've used it with previous versions of Premiere without issue and I'm skeptical that I need to change anything with the hardware, but I do agree that more RAM can never hurt...

Glenn Bailey November 24th, 2007 12:46 PM

i was having weird playback issues, mainly jerky video, and found that a driver re-install did the trick for me. I downloaded the latest nVidia drivers from the nvidia website, installed and rebooted. I then download the November release of DirectX 9c from another website, installed and rebooted. After that video playback worked fine ..

Brad Tyrrell November 24th, 2007 01:40 PM

Ram, Ram, Ram.

Also, check out your page file location. CS3 tries to keep all the balls in the air and can go to the page file pretty quickly even with lots of ram.

There are a couple of threads here about optimizing locations for page file, scratch file, source file, etc.