DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   CS3 + Vista = Impossible Combination? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/108154-cs3-vista-impossible-combination.html)

Markus Aberg November 16th, 2007 08:50 PM

CS3 + Vista = Impossible Combination?

I seem to be having an unreasonable amount of problems trying to edit in CS3, and especially HD material.

For example, as soon as I try to zoom in on a clip in the timeline, the program instantly locks up.
I can impossibly make any HD timeline longer than 10 or if I'm lucky 15 minutes, without Premiere running out of my 2gb of ram, even if it's the very only program running on the system (except from cruicial system opreations), and when it runs out of ram, it closes down.

That's just a few examples I can think of right away, and really if those things are a problem, it's pretty bad.

So I'm just curious: Has anyone else experienced these problems, or am I the only one stupid enough to run CS3 on Vista?
Anyone experienced these problems even if NOT running Vista?
Anyone have any suggestions or ideas that might help me?
I love most things about Vista so that's why I haven't tried downgrading to XP before I know if that's the only solution.

My hardware is as follows:
Intel Core2Duo T7200 2.0GHz
Internal 120gb 5400rpm hdd running CS3 (and Vista of course)
External 500gb USB2 hdd for material
2gb ram
ATI X1700 graphics chipset
1050x1680 screen resolution (if that might make any difference)

Graham Hickling November 16th, 2007 09:10 PM

Although this isn't what you've asked, I would strongly suggest you improve your hard drive performance if you are working with HD material.

For under $200 you could add a couple of 250GB 7200rpm internal drives (IDE or SATA - no matter) ... one for programs and one for material. You can still use your external for offline storage, but not for the material that you are actively editing.

Markus Aberg November 16th, 2007 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Hickling (Post 776852)
Although this isn't what you've asked, I would strongly suggest you improve your hard drive performance if you are working with HD material.

For under $200 you could add a couple of 250GB 7200rpm internal drives (IDE or SATA - no matter) ... one for programs and one for material. You can still use your external for offline storage, but not for the material that you are actively editing.

Thanks for the tip, and I would love to do so, but my problem is since I travel a lot I am stuck with a laptop.
I also don't think that it has been able to get to the point where my harddrive speeds are of any significant concern, even if it defenitely would speed things up.

Graham Hickling November 16th, 2007 09:40 PM

Sorry - my bad. Should have realized that from the T7200 spec.

Ray Bell November 16th, 2007 09:55 PM

Not to sound too bad , but I couldn't even imagine editing on a laptop with
those specs... sorry........ it just an't going to happen

Markus Aberg November 16th, 2007 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Bell (Post 776866)
Not to sound too bad , but I couldn't even imagine editing on a laptop with
those specs... sorry........ it just an't going to happen

Well I'm happy for you that you seem to be living in the future.

When I got this computer in February it was about the fastest available for a laptop that's still portable, and nothing too revolutionary has happened on the laptop front since.

It's excellent at editing SD, faster than any stationary computer I've used for editing SD through the years.

I don't really see what point you were trying to make with your post, but I hope that you got all the attitude out of your system, and if not, act like it is because It's not making anyone happy.

Harm Millaard November 17th, 2007 03:19 AM

IMO UPGRADING to XP is beneficial, especially if you have less than 4 GB RAM installed. XP runs faster, has about 1/4 of the footprint of Vista and uses about half the memory.

Josh Chesarek November 17th, 2007 05:19 AM

I am using CS3 and Vista Ultimate and have not run into that problem yet. Most of the things that I do in HD though are 5-10 minutes. Or, are still done in SD. I also have 2GB Ram with a AMD 4400+X2. When I get a chance after this weekend I will try to capture one of my HD tapes that has more than 10 minutes of footage and edit it for a while and see if I hit the same issues. Right before the crash is your hard drive going crazy? In the past I have worked with some programs that when the RAM fills up it moves the files to a cache on the hard drive. One such program had a bug where if the hard drive it was trying to use was in power save mode or busy with something else it would not be able to write the files to the hard drive before the RAM filled up and crashed the program. This last part is simply a guess at one of the billion things that could be causing this.

Ray Bell November 17th, 2007 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus Aberg (Post 776898)
Well I'm happy for you that you seem to be living in the future.

When I got this computer in February it was about the fastest available for a laptop that's still portable, and nothing too revolutionary has happened on the laptop front since.

It's excellent at editing SD, faster than any stationary computer I've used for editing SD through the years.

I don't really see what point you were trying to make with your post, but I hope that you got all the attitude out of your system, and if not, act like it is because It's not making anyone happy.

Sorry Markus, I guess I should have read my post before hitting the send button... my post isn't going to help your situation at all...

So, here's another try,

Download Cineform and see if your computer can benefit from having the HD footage ( compressed) native dogging down your system.

Cineform will take the compressed footage and turn it into a non compressed AVI... this will help your computer to process the footage much better.

Hope this helps ......

Jiri Fiala November 21st, 2007 05:44 AM

Core 2 Duo with 2 gigs should be able to handle native HDV as well. Provided that you don't do some over the top CC and multilayer comps.

I can edit SD with CS3 on 2 years old P-M 1,7 GHz and 1 gig of RAM under Vista with ease, HDV however is a no-go.

Cineform is the way to go, even though I'm not sure your drives can handle the throughput. Download trial version from cineform.com and try it. It's really worthwhile - the only downside is higher HDD usage.

Aanarav Sareen November 27th, 2007 09:41 AM

Those computer specs are very good. I have a MacBook Pro with a slightly better processor and I can do 3-4 streams of HDV without a hitch (note: I am using Cineform).

But, I too have been running into numerous problems with Vista and launching the apps. Once the apps launch, everything works fine, but a lot of times, the apps itself will crash while trying to load.

- Aanarav