DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Combining/importing projects with edit points intact (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/110391-combining-importing-projects-edit-points-intact.html)

Tao-ming Lin December 16th, 2007 10:18 PM

Combining/importing projects with edit points intact

I've been working on a large project in Premiere Pro 1.5, and split it into 3 parts. Now I would like to combine the three projects into one timeline and continue editing it that way, but every time I try to import a project from one to another, it turns it into one seamless clip with no edit points. Is there a way to do this? It seems like a useful thing to be able to do, as there are sections of one project that need to be shifted to other projects.

Mike McCarthy December 17th, 2007 12:33 AM

Import one .prproj file into the other. Then open both sequences, and copy and paste the contents of one timeline to the other.

Tao-ming Lin December 17th, 2007 12:49 AM

Thanks for replying. The problem is, when I open the imported sequence, it appears as one big clip with no editable clips inside it.

Mike McCarthy December 17th, 2007 12:14 PM

That should only happen if you nest the imported sequence into the importing sequences. If you open the imported sequence, it should all be there, exactly as it was. Then you cut and paste. You can't drag the sequence from the project window into the timeline, that will nest it.

Tao-ming Lin December 17th, 2007 09:15 PM

Oh, I see, I double click on the sequence rather than dragging it. Thanks!

Tao-ming Lin May 21st, 2008 09:53 PM

Ok, now if I want to export the whole movie from this setup, can I do it without re-integrating the sequences?

Tao-ming Lin May 24th, 2008 09:36 PM

I know the above is a stupid question, but I can't seem to find a solid answer in Adobe's "help" section. Anyone?

Steven Gotz May 25th, 2008 07:01 PM

You can not export all of the sequences as one movie unless you nest them all together. Is that what you are asking?

Tao-ming Lin May 25th, 2008 09:34 PM

I guess so. Right now I have the project split up into four sequences, the tabs of which are over the timeline. So I need to create another sequence and import the four sequences into that sequence (nesting) and then export that? I really just want to change as little as possible, just export it for some people to look at and then continue editing.

Jiri Fiala May 25th, 2008 11:58 PM

Yes, import the four Premiere Projects into a new one, create new sequence and then drag the imported sequences into your new one.

If you want to edit these nested sequences, doubleclick them with Alt key, or find your keyboard shortcut for "Reveal nested sequence".

Or alternatively, export each of your sequences as a separate video file and then just import these 4 AVIs (or whatever you export into) and put them into a new sequence. As you need this for a preview, you needn`t worry about rerendering and loss of visual quality.

Tao-ming Lin May 26th, 2008 12:56 AM

Cool, so I can keep on editing the nested sequences within the big overall sequence, and the edits will show up within the whole thing? That's good news, as I can export it at any time without having to combine everything.

Jiri Fiala May 26th, 2008 11:35 AM

Yes, that`s exactly the way it is. It can get a little slower (switching to and fro sequences), but if it`s SD you`re editing, you won`t notice a difference.