DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   P-Pro CS3 Crash - Cause may be SmartSounds? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/111503-p-pro-cs3-crash-cause-may-smartsounds.html)

Tim Bickford January 3rd, 2008 07:54 AM

P-Pro CS3 Crash - Cause may be SmartSounds?

When using smartsound music files with P-Pro CS3 I often have to re-size the music file to fit my finished timeline duration. For example, I start with a 00:03:00:00 music file. I later change the duration by double clicking on the audio file in the timeline. I change the duration in the smartsound program to say 00:02:43:11. I then delete the original audio file from the timeline and then drag and drop the audio clip from the bin to the timeline. Note: the audio clip that I drag into the timeline is the same as the original with the exception of the duration.

I find that when I change smartsound clips this way P-Pro crashes about once every 3 to 4 minutes more or less randomly. If I delete all my smartsounds files from my bin + timeline it fixes the problem. I just have to create the smartsounds files again.

I remember that Smartsounds once had a bug that caused crashes for any sound file in excess of 5 minutes in length. They appear to have fixed that.

My work around is just to delete the audio file that I'm changing (from the timeline and the bin) and just create a new one. Anyway... I was just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences.

Thanks

Steve Wolla January 4th, 2008 03:18 AM

Are you running Vista?
My experience hs been that SmartSound does not agree with Vista--it can take forever to process a selection in the "Maestro" deal, but seems to work well on one of my machines running CS3 and Smart Sound 4.

Allan Black January 4th, 2008 04:39 AM

Tim are you running SonicFire PRO 4.5? And do you get the program updates via the TOOLS menu?

Tim Bickford January 4th, 2008 08:14 AM

I'm running XP and use the "Maestro" when creating the audio fiiles. I love Smartsounds. However, it appears to be quirky sometimes. I'll update my software today... perhaps that will help.

Steve Wolla January 4th, 2008 10:00 PM

It might be worth checking SmartSound's website for any patches. That's what I am doing tonight to get some resolution for my stalling problems running Vista and version 4.

Harm Millaard January 5th, 2008 04:22 PM

SmartSound Quicktracks uses Quicktime which in it's latest incarnation may give trouble. Go to Control Panel, select Quicktime, go to the Advanced tab and select Safe Mode, go to the audio tab and again select Safe mode, press apply. Try if that solves the problem. It helped for me.

Tim Bickford January 7th, 2008 08:19 AM

Harm, I'll give it a shot and will let you know how it works.

I think my "delete the smartsound files" fix was just wishful thinking. I may have discovered the real problem behind the crashes. I think I'll start a new post to describe since I do not believe it to be a Smartsound issue.

Michael DAmbrose February 3rd, 2008 01:54 PM

Tim,
Did you find the solution? I have the same problem.

Mike

Tim Bickford February 5th, 2008 10:13 AM

Mike-

I found that my problem was related to another issue. I was moving pre-rendered clips with effects from the beginning of the time line to the end of middle. When I did this I would crash on a regular basis.

There are times when SmartSounds will cause a crash for me. If I double click on the smartsound file directly in the timeline... change the duration... it will sometimes cause a crash. If I need to change the duration of a smart sound file I delete it from the project and re-import at the length required. This solves my crash problem.

With previous versions of P-Pro and SmartSounds there was a bug that would not allow the audio file to be greater than 5 minutes.

Michael DAmbrose February 7th, 2008 09:33 PM

yes, that is the problem I have with the change of length -- a pain -- clips are less than 1 minute.