DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Premeire CS3 to AE CS3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/114546-premeire-cs3-ae-cs3.html)

Alessandro Garabaghi February 11th, 2008 11:14 AM

Premeire CS3 to AE CS3

I have a question, not sure if I am wording this right but here goes:

I am wondering if it is possible to select a clip in a Premiere timeline and somehow open it in AE, edit the clip, and then save the effects so the clip attributes have changed in the Premeire TimeLine?

Am i missing something or is this possible?

Alessandro Garabaghi February 11th, 2008 11:18 AM

seems like Dynamic Link should work for me ... gonna have to try... any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Del Vecchio February 11th, 2008 12:31 PM

You can do it a bunch of ways.

You can actually cut and paste between Premiere and After Effects provided you're using the same version (I see you have CS3 for both of them so it should work.)

Also, you can open up a Premiere project in After Effects.

Cut and paste may be the easiest thing to do though if you just want to edit one clip.

You can then do Dynamic Link (provided that you have the Production Studio Bundle or the Master Collection).

If not, then you can render it out. You may be able to open an After Effects project in Premiere without Dynamic Link but I may be wrong.

Hope that helps!

Alessandro Garabaghi February 11th, 2008 07:37 PM

that seems to help....

So let me get this straight:

Im working in Premiere CS3, and i have my timeline (several cuts, fades etc...)

Id like to edit one of those cuts (say 10sec of footage)

Just select it, copy it, open AE and paste ??

Paul Del Vecchio February 11th, 2008 09:40 PM

Pretty much. It's a little weird sometimes... If it doesnt paste, I have to close AE, re-open it and start a new comp. Then copy and paste it and it works. I'm not sure why that happens but it does. Strange...

But basically, yes, it should just be cutting and pasting.

Alessandro Garabaghi February 12th, 2008 09:16 AM

seems like when i paste a cut from my timeline ins Premiere it copys over the entire composition into AE, which is not what i want.

Paul Del Vecchio February 12th, 2008 11:02 AM

It shouldn't copy the entire timeline over into AE as long as you select the one clip that you want and only that clip. Sometimes the clip won't paste at the very beginning of the comp. You'll have to move the clip to the beginning and trim the composition length to the length of the clip.

Tripp Woelfel February 12th, 2008 08:01 PM

Following up on Paul's comment, select the desired clip from the bin. Copy from the bin and paste into AE.

When you paste into AE make sure the CTI (current time indicator) is where you want it in the timeline. For example, if you want your clip to paste in at 10 seconds into your AE comp, position the CTI at 10 seconds and your pasted clip should start there.

Paul Del Vecchio February 12th, 2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel (Post 825343)
Following up on Paul's comment, select the desired clip from the bin. Copy from the bin and paste into AE.

When you paste into AE make sure the CTI (current time indicator) is where you want it in the timeline. For example, if you want your clip to paste in at 10 seconds into your AE comp, position the CTI at 10 seconds and your pasted clip should start there.

Ahh the bin... I'll have to try that next time it doesn't want to cut and paste for me from the timeline.

Thanks, Tripp!

Jiri Fiala February 13th, 2008 02:28 PM

Paul, cutting and pasting between AE and other apps is kind of buggy, but it seems more a Microsoft fault. Lookie here:

http://shisko.blogspot.com/2008/01/c...fects-fix.html

Let me know if that helps.

Paul Del Vecchio February 13th, 2008 10:02 PM

Ahh yes... I knew something wasn't right. I always had to exit AE then open it again and it would work. That answers it...

Thanks so much for that blog!