DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Tmpgenc bars (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/115053-tmpgenc-bars.html)

Brad Tyrrell February 17th, 2008 12:53 PM

Tmpgenc bars

Not sure where to post this, but since I use Adobe...

I output from XH1 to HDlink to Premiere CS3 to Debugmode to Tmpgenc to Encore. Somewhere (I'm pretty sure Tmpgenc) I get black bars on the sides of the 16x9 video. I don't notice it until it shows up in Encore. It also shows up in Classic Media Player when I play Tmpgenc's m2vs. Does anyone else have this problem?

I'ts pretty minor so I can deal with it, but it's annoying. I'm thinking it's just a simple setting I've missed. Don't think there's a Tmpgenc forum and Tmpgenc's documentation tends to be a bit cryptic

Marty Baggen February 17th, 2008 04:24 PM

Brad... check your aspect ratio for the clip properties within TMPGenc. Select "16:9 Display", and you may solve your problem.

When I import HDV (CFHD avi) into TMPGenc, it defaults to the "40:33" aspect. It's supposed to be the equivilent to 16:9, but I've found that forcing the display mode of 16:9 will fill your screen, and the aspect seems correct.

Brad Tyrrell February 17th, 2008 04:37 PM

Yeah, I found that too. I use the 16:9 display, but always get thin vertical bars down the sides of the picture when I transcode. I'm told that if I use "full screen" and "keep aspect ratio", Tmpgenc will expand to fill the bars but also clip the top and bottom.

Since the bars are thin (but noticeable) I can't really tell if the aspect ratio or the frame size is off by a little. The properties at every step say the same frame size, but something's a bit off.

Marty Baggen February 17th, 2008 04:49 PM

Can you post a framegrab?

Brad Tyrrell February 18th, 2008 09:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a jpeg. See the thin black bands at the right and left? With any kind of overscan they will disappear. Unfortunately, on a lot of digital equipment they won't. Not terrible, just annoying.

I notice the size is 852 x 480. The settings on all programs specify 720 x 480 widescreen. I wonder if there's an interpolation problem?

Kevin Dorsey February 18th, 2008 12:24 PM

In TMPGenc, under filters, look for picture resize, then select... Full screen(No margin). That will eliminate the black bars on the sides.

Brad Tyrrell February 18th, 2008 12:44 PM

Thanks Kevin, I'll try that.

I just couldn't figure out if I fill the screen, would the picture be slightly stretched or clipped. If that were the case I might opt for the black bands.

On the other hand, maybe the picture is already being squeezed to get the bands??

Kevin Dorsey February 18th, 2008 01:09 PM

The picture will be slightly clipped on the top and bottom. If you are downconverting from an HD source, the quality of the downconversion appears identical to a file that has the bars on the sides. I did a few side by side tests and I couldn't see any difference.

I believe the bands show up because of the slight difference in PAR between 16:9 HDV and 16:9 SD. Hope this helps.

Brad Tyrrell February 18th, 2008 02:19 PM

Thanks. I was trying to figure out what kind of tests to run. I think I'll just take your word for it.