DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Exporting HD video in Premiere Elements 3.0??? I'm Lost! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/115738-exporting-hd-video-premiere-elements-3-0-im-lost.html)

Justin Branam February 25th, 2008 04:54 PM

Exporting HD video in Premiere Elements 3.0??? I'm Lost!

I am very new to the video world, and realize now i should have probably bought some other editing program, but im trying to work with this for now. I am shooting with an HV10 and cannot seem to export any HD quality footage and get it to work properly.

the only export options elements 3 has are all compressed videos for web, or for psp's and such. im wanting to export the video as full hd quality video in either 1080 or 720 hd. if someone can please explain to me exactly what settings i need to do, i would greatly appreciate it. I would also like some settings for being able to putting my videos on vimeo.com.

for an example, this is what i tried to do. export as Quicktime Video, and the settings were:

video codec: H.264
frame width:1280
frame height:720
frame rate: 29.97
field order: none (progressive)
pixel aspect ratio: square pixels (1.0)
bit depth 24 bit color

bitrate was set to 21.36 kbps (i tried it at a suggested 3000 as well with no success.)

under video hinter track settings:
payload encoding: use native encoding if possible
packet size limit: 1,450
packet duration limit: 100
intervals: 1,000

the audio settings were:

audio codec: QDesign Music 2
output channel: stereo
sample size: 16 bit
frequency: 44 kHz

All this left me with when i opened it was a flickering green colored screen with the audio playing fast. I obviously have no idea what im doing, so any help would be greatly appreciated. What i am eventually trying to do is go out with scuba charters, film the divers, and pt together a short video to sell them, that they can watch in HD on their computer, or on their tv's (assuming they have an hd dvd player, or more likely to come a blue-ray player). this also brings up another question, can i actually burn hd quality footage to the dvd's using the export to dvd option in elements 3? i treid this and im pretty sure what i got was no where near HD, but there are not any settings on the burn DVD window?? AAAAHHHHH!!!!

Graham Hickling February 26th, 2008 12:42 AM

I can't help with your main question as I havent used Elements, but I can tell you that when it says "export to DVD" it is meaning old-style DVD's, which do not support high-definition formats.

Justin Branam February 26th, 2008 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Hickling (Post 833109)
I can't help with your main question as I havent used Elements, but I can tell you that when it says "export to DVD" it is meaning old-style DVD's, which do not support high-definition formats.

so i cant save high def video to a normal 4.7gb DVD, that will allow someone to watch it on their computer in "hd" quality?

And am i the only one who uses Elements 3.0?!?!?!

Graham Hickling February 26th, 2008 03:19 PM

Hi again.

Yes, you can burn an HD file (in any one of several codecs - wmv, H264, mpeg2) onto a data DVD and someone with suitable codecs and software on their machine will be able to play that file on their computer. The disk won't play on a standalone DVD, HD-DVD or BluRay player however ... these players all require disks that have been 'authored' so that they have the correct file/folder structure as well as the correct -spec video file.

What "export to DVD" does is two things: 1) it creates a DVD-Video specification mpeg2 file. As per the DVD-Video spec, this file cannot be HD; it must be SD. 2) It authors the disk by creating a menu system, VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, and so on.

So (based on my experience in Premiere) what you need is the export/file option. Within that I would have thought you would find MPEG2 and WMV export options (along with various others) and that you would be able to specify HD resolutions for those export files. That should produce HD material that others can play on their computers.

Justin Branam February 26th, 2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Hickling (Post 833540)
Hi again.

Yes, you can burn an HD file (in any one of several codecs - wmv, H264, mpeg2) onto a data DVD and someone with suitable codecs and software on their machine will be able to play that file on their computer. The disk won't play on a standalone DVD, HD-DVD or BluRay player however ... these players all require disks that have been 'authored' so that they have the correct file/folder structure as well as the correct -spec video file.

What "export to DVD" does is two things: 1) it creates a DVD-Video specification mpeg2 file. As per the DVD-Video spec, this file cannot be HD; it must be SD. 2) It authors the disk by creating a menu system, VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, and so on.

So (based on my experience in Premiere) what you need is the export/file option. Within that I would have thought you would find MPEG2 and WMV export options (along with various others) and that you would be able to specify HD resolutions for those export files. That should produce HD material that others can play on their computers.

thanks a bunch. this makes sense. now i just need the correct settings for exporting it properly as HD. Anyone????

Graham Hickling February 26th, 2008 09:10 PM

Are you on a PC or Mac?

On my PC with Premiere CS3, with the latest versions of Windows Media Player 11 and Quicktime for PC, here are a couple of the HD 1280x720 29.97fps progressive clip presets that are available ... and that play fine. If the presets are missing, you may still be able to set this up manually:

H264 Main profile, Level 3.2, VBR, target 6Mbps, max 10Mbps, AAC Audio stereo 48kHz 192kbps

or

WMvideo 9, VBR, target 5Mbps, max 8Mbps, peak vid buffer 5, WMaudio9.2, 44kHz stereo, 440kbps

Hope that helps.

Justin Branam February 27th, 2008 06:32 PM

im on a PC now but i think thats part of my problem! im going to be on a mac in the next week or two, so i think that may help with a lot of things.

i did find the WMediaPlayer presets (no good quicktime presets included though), so im trying that now. thanks!

Steve Oakley February 27th, 2008 10:15 PM

first, if you are using a TRIAL version, some things are disabled, if you aren't, elements still took some features out, there is a reason its as cheap as it is.

in the QT export, if its the standard QT export dialog, simply hit the options button and then you can change the codec, size, ect.

if using AME change the codec in the video tab. if you can't change the codec, then that might be a function of elements. there is also a pop up menu to change the preset in AME. they are good starting points.

Will Mahoney March 4th, 2008 10:41 AM

it's super easy.

Man, I'm on Premier Elements 3.0 and I haven't had any issues. I even output a 720p HD video for vimeo last week and I've only had the HD cam for two weeks.

http://vimeo.com/739660

Any time I've tried to use any quicktime export (with or without H.264) the video is crappy and the audio sounds like I'm listening through a clogged toilet. It's horrible.

So I just don't use the quicktime export.

Here's what you do: Go to the top of your screen and click on "Export", a drop down box will appear. Select "Windows Media..." Now you are looking at the "Export Windows Media" popup screen.

The left side shows different options of export for different mediums. Scroll down to the "For HD" option and select the option you like. I chose 720p because that's what Vimeo allows, but you can choose 1080.

You can mess around with presets later, for now, just use the standard option and click "OK."

Premier Elements will now render you a .WMV file with HD resolution. You can stick this file onto a data DVD for someone to play in their computer, or you can upload it to the web for viewing on an HD website. Either way, it's full HD resolution.

However, this DVD will not work in any DVD players.

Though I'm told that some PS3's and or XBox 360's can play the file from the DVD and will display it on your HD tv as full-resolution HD footage.

I tend to ramble a bit, did this help much?