DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Great news from Adobe!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/11702-great-news-adobe.html)

Jeff Natalie July 7th, 2003 04:37 AM

Great news from Adobe!!

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/main.html

K. Forman July 7th, 2003 05:03 AM

But will it work with Win2K? All it mentions is XP.

Jeff Natalie July 7th, 2003 06:05 AM

Keith,
I've read on the canopus forums that it is not "supporting" Win2K.

K. Forman July 7th, 2003 06:29 AM

I guess I won't be getting it yet :( I won't move on to XP.

Dave Valencic July 7th, 2003 10:13 AM

I'm in the process of building a new XP Pro box strictly for Adobe Encore DVD, and now for Premiere Pro, but I will refuse to let this box be connected to the internet...The only connection to other computers that it will have will be firewire drives.

I absolutely won't upgrade my internet/business PC to XP at all...Win2k Pro SP2 is the only OS that'll ever be installed.

Glen Elliott July 7th, 2003 10:28 AM

Why so many against XP. XP was a godsend for me moving from 98SE. Besides it's running on the same NT kernel.

PS Dave- what if you end up hating Encore and Premiere pro?! Awefull lot of faith to build a dedicated machine for two peices of software that haven't been released. Though I have to share your excitement for Encore- there realy hasn't been a DVD authoring program that has really impressed me as of yet.

Dave Valencic July 7th, 2003 12:07 PM

Well by the time the system is done, I will only have spent in the neighborhood of $300 for a P4 2.66Ghz with 2Gb of ram, as most of the components are being aquired from people who are upgrading to new systems.

If I end up not liking either package, I'll retire my newly built computer to an After Effects rendering node and switch over to a G5 dual 2Ghz machine running FCP4 and DVD Studio Pro 2.0. I already use FCP4 for most of my work, but i've gotten so many requests from clients specifically asking for Avid or Premiere that it merited building a PC editing box too.

Glen Elliott July 7th, 2003 12:16 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Dave Valencic : but i've gotten so many requests from clients specifically asking for Avid or Premiere that it merited building a PC editing box too. -->>>

What sort of work do you do in which your clients would ask for Avid or Premiere? Do you mean they are asking for you to edit their project on those particular NLEs?! Or do you sell systems?

Dave Valencic July 7th, 2003 12:28 PM

I had three different corperate clients that I was editing training videos for specifically ask for their programs to be edited on Premiere for whatever reason...none of them gave specific reasons....but since I was getting paid enough for it to be worth-while for me to purchase it, I decided to go all out.

The Avid Xpress DV purchase came along because a client had an unfinished project that was supposed to be done in-house, but their editor quit (?...no one told me the whole story) and left a half-done video, so I was handed two firewire hard drives that had all Avid files on them, and an outline of what the video was supposed to be...and what they paid me made it DEFINATELY worth getting my own copy of Avid (I actually did the project on friend's Titanium Powerbook then bought my own copy the next week)

K. Forman July 7th, 2003 02:20 PM

I don't like invasive programs, and XP seems to be at the top of that list. If I don't want to register, who's business is it but mine? If I feel like swapping my system componants, I will not have the OS tell me I need to re-register. I like to plug and play, not plug, register, then play- if the OS will let me.

Glen Elliott July 7th, 2003 02:37 PM

Keith, yeah that aspect does suck. Oddly enough it doesn't always ask you to re-register when you swap components. Well it all depends on the component- I was able to upgrade my Graphics card without a hitch. A friend of mine, however, added a secondary hd and it asked him to re-register.
I'll be re-doing my system (full reformat, etc) sometime this summer- I like doing that roughly once every year to 1 1/2 years to keep things running smoothly. Hopefully I won't have that many problems if/when I decide to re-install XP.
Other than that it's been the best OS I've ever worked on!

Nick Glenister July 8th, 2003 01:48 AM

"Registering" XP took all of 30 seconds using the modem option and I didn't need to give any personal details. Its not the same as registering any other piece of software where they want as much info as possible for their marketing department. If thats all i have to do each time i reinstall windows then so be it.

XP is far superior to win2K, I'm a programmer and have XP Pro at home and Win2K at work so I know both very well.

XP is not at all invasive you just need to disable the services you don't need and you don't get bothered by Microsoft ever again.

And at £107 at www.scan.co.uk for WinXP Pro OEM its well worth upgrading

Regards

Nick

Nigel Moore July 8th, 2003 02:12 AM

For me it's not the practicalities of registration/activation that are the issue, but the concept. If I want to replace all my hard drives, because I bought crappy IBM GXP75s, with Western Digital I should be allowed to without the OS deciding that it's not going to play with me. As it is, I haven't yet installed XP...it will go on a dedicated edit box that will not have Internet access (that way I don't have to have AV installed mucking up my captures), so each time the OS wants to phone home, I'm gonna have to hitch the damned thing up.

Hans Henrik Bang July 8th, 2003 04:44 AM

I can certainly follow you in the sense that the XP license policy feels rather invasive. I had quite a bit of trouble with my new XP based PC (defective motherboard) and thus installed XP several time. At the end of it, I have run out of install attempts.

Having to phone a Microsoft representative and beg for 3 more trys or whatever is frankly not my idea of "fair use" of legally purchased software. I reinstall my computers on a regular basis, and ill be d..... if Microsoft should have a say in that.

Hans Henrik

Jeff Natalie July 8th, 2003 07:13 AM

Agreed, but that is not the norm if your system is well researched for compatibility.

Glen Elliott July 8th, 2003 07:25 AM

So let me get this right- say if I reformat my machine...will I have problems activating XP automatically like I did the first time I built my machine and installed XP.
Conversly, if I decide to upgrade...say...my CPU, what will happen. Will I have to physically call Microsoft to get a new activation code or something.

Granted I can understand why they do it this way- it cuts down on pirating a heck of alot- though they should weight the benefits of such a design. They might be losing more customers with this invasivness then they would have from piraters.

Jeff Natalie July 8th, 2003 07:42 AM

Yes, that may be necessary. Although, I had significant problems with my older machine, explained it to the tech support guy and after several formats and reinstalls never had to call again (although I had to activate it each time.)

Glen Elliott July 8th, 2003 07:55 AM

Then in what instance would you "have" to call? Couldn't I just change whatever I wanted after reformatting my machine and just click activate?
Or do they have a data-base that'll notice some hardware was changed and ask you to call?

K. Forman July 8th, 2003 08:27 AM

New stuff comes out all the time, old stuff dies. Or, I just feel like swapping stuff out to try and gain a little more stability. Why should I have to keep going back to MS everytime? It's almost enough to make me look at -gasp- Mac! Oh, the horror!

Glen Elliott July 8th, 2003 10:12 AM

*gasp*....the dark side? Don't do it Keith!

Hans Henrik Bang July 8th, 2003 11:07 AM

It seemed that I ran out of XP activation tries after 3 activations of XP.

Fortunately I have a stack of unused OEM versions from work, where new PCs come with XP license, but have Win 2000 installed on them instead, so I just moved down to the next serial number I had instead of bothering to call Microsoft.

Hans Henrik

Bill Ravens July 8th, 2003 11:38 AM

you guys are kinda paranoid. Given M$'s history, I can understand why, however, there are several guides on the web describing how to insure that you're not sending any private info to M$. It's really not a problem, except when you have to re-install an OS...then you have to call M$, describe what you're doing, and they'll give you more activations. It's really so simple and NON invasive, it's silly to NOT do it.

K. Forman July 8th, 2003 01:35 PM

"It's really not a problem, except when you have to re-install an OS...then you have to call M$, describe what you're doing, and they'll give you more activations"

And you don't find THAT silly?

Bill Ravens July 8th, 2003 01:47 PM

indeed...but not enuff so that i won't use win XP. The improvements are way to good.

Alex Taylor July 8th, 2003 08:06 PM

It's not as bad as people make it out to be. I re-installed XP Home on my secondary machine a few weeks ago and I didn't have to reactivate it at all, after formatting the hard drive and removing a few PCI cards. The only time it will make you re-activate is when you change either the motherboard or the CPU. I believe you can change whatever else you want and it will still be fine.

Jeff Natalie July 8th, 2003 09:10 PM

Alex,
I'm not sure that is accurate in technical terms but very well may be in practical ones. You are supposed to have flexibility to make 5 changes before you need to reactivate.

Bill Ravens July 8th, 2003 10:25 PM

actually, if you make duplicate copies of the files WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/WPA.* and WPABALN and store them somewhere else. if you ever need to re-install your OS, all you have to do is copy the copies back into the new install and voila!! This only works as long as you've made no hardware changes to your system. The license key tracks harware config.

Nick Glenister July 10th, 2003 03:08 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : So let me get this right-
Granted I can understand why they do it this way- it cuts down on pirating a heck of alot- though they should weight the benefits of such a design. They might be losing more customers with this invasivness then they would have from piraters. -->>>

Thepirated version of WinXP was, believe it or not, available before the offical release of WinXP thus making the registration total redundant as a anti-piracy tool.

There was a picture on the Internet of a guy (presumably the Cracker) holding a copy of the "Devils own" cracked version of WinXP in front of the Offical countdown timer marking the release of WinXP.

So in this repect I agree that the registration of XP is pointless and inconvenient as its failed in its primary purpose; on a individual user basis. It does however prevent companies from installing one copy of XP on all of their machines which I'm led to believe is the thing Microsoft was mostly concerned about.

Us single users are small potatos to them, most of people having bought a prebuilt machine with a image of Windows on a restore disc instead of the proper deal and its unlikely that they would ever upgrade (and even more unlikely that it would work =o)).

For what its worth i would recommend that you reinstall Windows if you ever change the motherboard (not so much the processor). I didn't do it once on an old Win 95 machine simply swapping the hard Disk over and it took at least an hour to search through and identify all of the busses and controllers and it never worked properly even then.

But all in all i still stress that XP is far better than any previous Windows version, and urge everyone to upgrade (any Microsoft bob reading who wants to pay me for saying that feel free).

Regards

Bill Ravens July 10th, 2003 07:09 AM

hey, let's face it!!! Bill Gates and Micro$oft have to be one of the most disliked personas in history....does he rank with Attila? hardly, but, close enuff. Anyway, he holds the monopoly on this technology. Until a bigger dog comes along(and then we can all hate him), we're stuck with the whims of M$. I've used UNIX, and beleive me, it's a funky system. So, bite the bullet, live with the small inconveniences, just get rid of that Windoze 98....it's a total disaster.

K. Forman July 10th, 2003 07:31 AM

There is only one reason I continue to use Win98, and that is for older programs and games. I use a very old, and now very dead, 3D program. It will work in Win2K, but actually does better in Win98. The same goes for Microsoft Works, which will not work in Win2K.

As far as Video, I only use Win2K. I am relatively pleased with 2K, and from what I have read and heard about XP, it ain't worth changing to. Just the hassle of having to go through Microsoft to use it is an inconvenience.

If I don't choose to register at all, that is my choice, not theirs. If I were to ever switch, I would proudly use a Pirated version that has the registration disabled, just to show my disdain with the whole process.

Nick Glenister July 10th, 2003 01:56 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman :
I would proudly use a Pirated version that has the registration disabled, just to show my disdain with the whole process. -->>>

Madness!! You complain about the rubbish Microsoft imbeds in its programs and therefore fail to trust a huge corporation and yet you are quite happy to trust and run a program cracked by a total unknown miscreant with God knows what lovely little extras he/she's imbedded, viruses, trojans who knows what.

Anyway this is wildly off topic now (sorry guys) and its a free world but the only thing the previous versions of Windows have going for them is program compatibilty, beyond that they join the AOL discs in my drinks coaster collection.

Regards all.

K. Forman July 10th, 2003 02:28 PM

Nick- Actually, yes, I would to an extent, trust a hacker over a huge corporation. I have known a few, and they actually have more going for them than Microsoft. Granted, there are a lot of miscreants out there, but the core philosophy behind hackers is freedom of information. Who do you think is behind Linux? People who feel information and software should be free.

It is because of "White Hat " hackers, that holes and bugs are discovered. It certainly isn't because Bill Gate's is concerned with making sure his products are 100% for the paying public. His only concern is churning out new products for them to buy- at a high price.

Scott Osborne July 10th, 2003 09:52 PM

If you have multiable dual boot machines as I do consider purchasing a business copy of Windows XP Pro. There is a specific number of licenses on the disk. Microsoft will be all to happy to sell you as many as you need. So far I have not been asked to register or activate any of the copys.3

My complaints with XP is that is totally ridiculous that I have to buy multiable copys of the OS to install on my machines. For godsakes I cant even install 2 instances of Pro on the same machine. Everytime I tried to activate the second install it tells my to buy another Key. Kidda makes you want to pirate there software. However if you do use a pirated copy and for some strange reason you need tech support (Or you just feel the need to spend 6 hours on hold) your outta luck.

As far as what Os to use for your NLE. I dont understand why people are so relucdant to switch to Xp...I know the activation is a PITA but I have seen a noticable increase in stability. Not to mention I like the new interface. Also theres the some time life saving System restore point. If you tweak a lot you will become bestfriends with it. I have notice that Xp seems to be a little cleaner in memory managment this is especially noticable if you have 1.5 or 2 gigs of Ram. For instance...I have noticed that when I run an app that has a high or realtime priority setting Xp will divert memory away from low level background functions to allow the app more memory space. I think 2k did this as well but not quite as nicely as Xp does. Not to mention with either XP or 2k you can format your drive using the NTFS file system. This eliminate the file size constraint that is contained in the FAT32 system. Plus I just think NTFS is better at managing file space. It seems to need defraging a lot less.

I just cant see anyone using 98SE or ME anymore. Unless there attached to a piece of software or hardware that wont run under a OS with NT underpinnings.

Robert Knecht Schmidt July 10th, 2003 11:54 PM

Hey, folks--this is the wrong thread for the WinXP copy protection debate. Let's stick to Premiere.

K. Forman July 11th, 2003 05:24 AM

Scott- I already have all of those things in Win2K... Except for having to register. I just replaced my processor. End of story, no registration needed. I like that, and can't see any improvement that XP has which makes up for the registration hassles.