DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   HINT - how to turn off frame blending (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/121041-hint-how-turn-off-frame-blending.html)

Bart Walczak May 6th, 2008 01:19 PM

HINT - how to turn off frame blending

Before you start putting clips on the timeline, select your video clips and go to clip->video options->frame blending.

From now on, any part of this clip that you put on the timeline will have frame blending turned off.

Stumbled upon it by chance today, but I believe this might be helpful to many people here.

Remember, do this before you start editing :)

Jiri Fiala May 7th, 2008 09:07 AM

The same goes for deinterlacing. But why Premiere doesn't allow this for multiple clips on timeline I'll never understand.

Thanks for useful tip Bart!

Tom Hardwick May 7th, 2008 10:19 AM

and why would I want frame blending turned off Bart?

Adam Gold May 7th, 2008 02:15 PM

I'm curious about this as well. What are the advantages/disadvantages of turning this on or off?

Benjamin Richardson May 7th, 2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 873628)
I'm curious about this as well. What are the advantages/disadvantages of turning this on or off?

when your working in 24P,for example, if frame blending is on the clips appear to have a strange "fluidity" to them. As if they were some strange interlaced field order. They do not look like 24P, and it is most obvious if you export to a DVD. It is extremely annoying, and has been a battle for us at work for a long time.

This is of the utmost help to us, and I am incredibly grateful for this insight, thank you Bart, for this post. You may have just saved hundreds of headaches.

Adam Gold May 8th, 2008 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Richardson (Post 873749)
when your working in 24P,for example, if frame blending is on the clips appear to have a strange "fluidity" to them.

So just to follow up a little, is this then not an issue/necessary/of benefit if you only work in 60i?

Benjamin Richardson May 8th, 2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 874024)
So just to follow up a little, is this then not an issue/necessary/of benefit if you only work in 60i?

Frame blending seems intended for interlaced footage, it is only a problem in progressive footage.

Frame blending also seems to help in certain situations where a clip's speed has been decreased.

-Ben

Kevin Dorsey May 8th, 2008 12:25 PM

I was under the impression that frame blending only applies to clips that have speed changes, and doesn't affect clips playing at normal speed. I haven't noticed a difference with it on or off with my 24F footage. Maybe I need to look again. Thanks for the tip.

Adam Gold May 8th, 2008 06:41 PM

Yep, a little further digging shows Adobe's assertion that this only applies when changing speed.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Prem...8aef7-7cd8.htm

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Prem...aef7-7d15.html

But I'm still not sure why it should be turned off, even in 24p mode, if you're not changing speeds.

Peter Manojlovic May 8th, 2008 08:34 PM

I find that "Frame Blending" enabled seriously slows down render times..
Crisp footage takes a serious hit, never mind choosing deinterlacing method.

For me, personally, it's hit and miss, and i only check it if i absolutely have to.

All my interlaced footage is monitored through a broadcast CRT. Depending on the speed change and camera movement, Frame blending might be required. Otherwise, i've noticed that having Frame blend unchecked, gives me cleaner results..

Bart Walczak May 13th, 2008 03:41 AM

When you try putting 50p footage on 50i timeline, you will understand why you need to turn off the frame blending... :)

Plus it does make rendering time about 4x as long as without it.

Adam Gold May 13th, 2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bart Walczak (Post 876330)
When you try putting 50p footage on 50i timeline...

Oh, okay, got it. Does anybody do this? Does any camera actually do this?

So if I'm understanding you correctly there's actually no reason to do this if you're just shooting normal 60i video...

Bart Walczak May 15th, 2008 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 876658)
Oh, okay, got it. Does anybody do this? Does any camera actually do this?

So if I'm understanding you correctly there's actually no reason to do this if you're just shooting normal 60i video...

JVC HD-101.

Yes, if you're just working with normal 60i, no need to turn off frame blending.

Vince DAmbrosio May 15th, 2008 06:45 AM

Would this have anything to do with slower render times in a DV 24p timeline?

Bart Walczak May 20th, 2008 02:21 AM

If you're using native 24p footage, unlikely, but why don't you simply check it out :)

Ulli Grunow May 21st, 2008 01:40 AM

Frame blending - EX1 in 1080p25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bart Walczak (Post 880345)
If you're using native 24p footage, unlikely, but why don't you simply check it out :)

Wonder, what the difference will be with footage from EX1 in 1080p25. Will check it out with some test footage with frame blending on and of and let you know...
I almost never use anything else than 1080p25, except for over/undercrancking (special shots)

Ulli

John Stakes June 6th, 2008 09:15 PM

hmmm. So if you turn off frame blending after you have edited...it does nothing, correct? Is there a way to turn it off after editing was already done? Can you just paste the clips in a different timeline?

Bart Walczak June 9th, 2008 02:17 AM

If you turn off frame blending on the clip on the timeline, it always works. You just can't turn it off for the clip in the bin and expect it to automatically turn off every instance of this clip alread on the timeline.

Pasting into a different timeline won't work - the frame blending property is already in there. I recommend setting a keyboard shortcut like ctrl+F for frame blending and get to it one by one. It would be much easier if you could select a clip from keyboard, and this is one of the few things I miss in Premiere.