DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Capture with Premire Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/123349-capture-premire-pro.html)

Guy Godwin June 9th, 2008 07:02 AM

Capture with Premire Pro

I Have owed Premire Pro for about 3 weeks now and not sure if I am doing something wrong or not. Maybe I have not used it enough or maybe it is something else.

But it seems that my Premire .avi captures are not as good as my old Pinnacle captures. When play back it has some jerkiness to it. What is the best method for capturing and do you have any other feedback?

Tripp Woelfel June 12th, 2008 09:43 PM

Try playing the video back through the DV connection to your camcorder. If the camcorder LCD shows a smooth playback you have under achieving video components in your PC. If the LCD playback is choppy, then you have bigger problems.

Just for grins, also make sure that the OS, PP and all your drivers are up to date. Don't be a pikey like me and expect that updating drivers in the Device Manager will get you updated correctly. Do it the old fashioned way. Go to the manufacturers' Web sites and download/install manually.

Harm Millaard June 13th, 2008 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Godwin (Post 890286)
But it seems that my Premire .avi captures are not as good as my old Pinnacle captures. When play back it has some jerkiness to it. What is the best method for capturing and do you have any other feedback?

Capture does not impact quality. Capture is nothing more than a bit-by-bit digital transfer, 100% the same as the original. It sounds more like a field reversal issue in your project settings or the quality of the program monitor during playback.

Martin Catt June 13th, 2008 07:20 PM

I'll be blunt: Premiere Pro for capture SUCKS. I've never had more problems trying to capture a simple set of video clips into my computer. I can make it work, but there are too many times I've had to go back and recapture a segment because something caused Premiere to hiccup.

I LOVE PPro for editing, and think it's great, but I use ScenalyzerLive for capture. Premiere tries to be all things for all people, and does them reasonably well for the most part. ScenalyzerLive does capture, and does it superbly. Best $35 I ever spent, plus it's a one-fee/many-computer license, where you can install it on as many computers as you want once you've paid the license fee ONCE.

www.scenalyzer.com

Check out the demo program. It's the actual program itself, just inserts a small logo every few seconds. You get an unlock key when you pay up that gets rid of the logo during capture.

Martin

Everts Alredjo June 18th, 2008 10:18 PM

Does your pc meet the system requirements?
If you pc is to slow eg not enough memory 512mb and shared, movie files playback will be jerky .Dont ever capture on the systems root drive C:. capture on a second hard drive.
Anti virus software can also cause this jerkyness.Basically you need a dedicated edit station.

Pietro Impagliazzo June 18th, 2008 11:03 PM

I don't capture through Premiere CS3.

The only time I captured I had weird sync issues.

I capture through a freeware named HDV Split, never had an issue.

And, what's up with Premiere CS3 not automatically splitting into scenes? Does this still happen?

Andrew Hoag June 20th, 2008 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo (Post 895384)

And, what's up with Premiere CS3 not automatically splitting into scenes? Does this still happen?

If you use scene detect, no.

Harm Millaard June 21st, 2008 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Hoag (Post 896221)
If you use scene detect, no.

Slight correction: Scene Detection is only available with DV material. If you have HDV material there is no scene detection. You need HDV Split for that.

Cameron Naghibi June 21st, 2008 09:48 AM

I never use PPr to capture my footage, i use Adobe OnLocation it has alot of advanced features and quality is ALOT better than Premiere...........in my opinion

Harm Millaard June 21st, 2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cameron Naghibi (Post 896366)
I never use PPr to capture my footage, i use Adobe OnLocation it has alot of advanced features and quality is ALOT better than Premiere...........in my opinion

Whether it is DVRack, OnLocation, Scenalyzer or PP, they all use a digital transfer of data over firewire, bit-for-bit. There is no difference in quality.

Jiri Fiala June 22nd, 2008 03:23 AM

Not exactly, OnLocation skips tape altogether, so it can yield better (or worse, depending on settings) quality.

Harm Millaard June 22nd, 2008 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiri Fiala (Post 896572)
Not exactly, OnLocation skips tape altogether, so it can yield better (or worse, depending on settings) quality.

Where did you get that idea? It makes no sense at all. As I tried to tell you, whatever comes out of the DSP and transferred through fire wire, will be bit-for-bit identical to what is recorded on tape. No difference at all.

Jiri Fiala June 24th, 2008 01:44 AM

Skipping encoding on camera is the sole purpose of OnLocation. It uses your computer to do the work. You can set quality of encoding in Onlocation. Read it up before spreading false information.

Harm Millaard June 24th, 2008 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiri Fiala (Post 897601)
Skipping encoding on camera is the sole purpose of OnLocation. It uses your computer to do the work. You can set quality of encoding in Onlocation. Read it up before spreading false information.

That should apply to yourself. Here is what Mark Mapes has to say about it:

In the strictest sense, DV Rack/OnLocation do not use a codec to write video files--the video comes into the program already compressed by the camera. All the program does is write the header to go with the clip. There is no provision for selecting the format of the header beyond the options in the Field Monitor menu.

It is plain impossible to skip encoding on camera. The ONLY way to skip encoding on camera is with HD-SDI, which is not possible with OnLocation.

Jiri Fiala June 24th, 2008 04:39 AM

You can at least select quality (GOP management) of MPEG HDV encoding with OL. It`s kind of complicated, but I`m sorry for any misinformation anyway.