DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   dip to white? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/128731-dip-white.html)

Jason Leonard August 26th, 2008 06:28 AM

dip to white?

Hello all mighty DVinfo community, I once again have a question.
I'm trying to find a way in Premiere Pro to dip to white (i guess that thats the correct term).
Basically I'm looking to crossfade to white but not in a way where i would just cross dissolve to a white matte or jpeg. I would like the highlights to blow out first.
Does anyone have any idea what i'm talking about?
I've heard that this can be achieved using the levels filter; however i require a bit more help than that.
Could anyone provide me more info?
Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Marty Baggen August 26th, 2008 07:31 AM

Isn't there a transition called "additive dissolve"? If you did that to a white still, that may do what you are looking for....not sure though.

Oren Arieli August 26th, 2008 08:51 AM

I don't know which version of Premiere you have, but in CS3, you can type 'dip' into the effects search box and POW! up comes 'dip to black' and 'dip to white'.
Barring that, you can use the proc amp to bring up the brightness and contrast on the clip (keyframed to the last few frames), and for smoothness, do the reverse effect on the next clip (start with high contrast and brightness, then bring it back to normal over the space of a few keyframes). You can even throw in a short dissolve between them (be sure not to cover up the entire effect with a long dissolve).

Mitchell Skurnik August 26th, 2008 09:23 PM

Another way is to create a white solid and then cross fade to that image.

Joshua Clarke September 2nd, 2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell Skurnik (Post 925379)
Another way is to create a white solid and then cross fade to that image.

I second that suggestion.

David Beisner September 2nd, 2008 01:15 PM

In CS3, in your effects panel, expand "Video Transitions" then go to the "Dissolve" tree. Fourth down is "Dip to White" and it'll give you exactly what you want...

Jiri Fiala September 3rd, 2008 01:42 AM

IMHO the default Premiere dip to white doesn't look very nice and rich.

If you don't mind a trip to after effects, you can easily make a much more stylish "camera flash" transition with combination of Levels and (Fast) Blur - blow your levels way up (that's the dip part) and apply blur to get that flashy look. The whole transition looks best when only 5-7 frames long.

Jon Shohet September 3rd, 2008 05:11 AM

I think this has something to do with what you are looking for :

h**p://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=483

the end of the free "floating point overview" tutorial on this page deals with using floating point in AE to create more interesting fades