DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   New features in Premiere CS4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/134170-new-features-premiere-cs4.html)

Stephen Armour September 26th, 2008 02:59 PM

Question for David T. or N. on IRE levels f/ CF HDV material

Yes, Tripp, we are using both Premiere HD and 4K. I checked this out with my color man, as he does everything in AE before we import into PP and you are very right!

If you don't do the lumi level adjust BEFORE Cineforming it, the info in that "above 100IRE area is lost. It doesn't seem to really clip it exactly, but compresses it beyond any further usefulness.

This is a very good point to ask about! Let's do it!

David Taylor and/or David Newman, does CF toss out "above 100 IRE" lumi info? Since it does seem to do that in the quick testing we just did, is there any way programatically for you to allow the user to set those levels at capture in HDLink, so we can do the curves ourselves, instead of automatically saying goodbye to a marginal, but maybe important clip due to lack of user control in this particular area?

Since it seems to do this at conversion, can you make it so we can chose a higher level if desired, say for a clip with blown out sky, snow scenes or water?

If the choice is between smaller, faster, as opposed to including any and all lumi data, we would certainly choose the latter.

Tripp Woelfel September 26th, 2008 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Armour (Post 943634)
David Taylor and/or David Newman, does CF toss out "above 100 IRE" lumi info?

Now that we've well and truly hijacked this thread (sorry about that), you should post this question in the Cineform forum.

Stephen Armour September 26th, 2008 06:23 PM

Sorry for the hijack! I posted it in Cineform...

Woody Sanford September 27th, 2008 11:52 PM

I consider myself lucky, I'm not having any issues with CS3. Simply loving it and I can break anything, usually do but I don't have the issues with it as some other do. My only concern is upgrading and my plugins no longer are supported. CS3 pretty much will do more than I could ask and I could spend years more with it and still be learning about it.

A new interface doesn't matter to me, that would be like my wife getting a nose job (not going to change how I feel about her). I just don't see anything to make me want to risk the stability I have now. Guess I'll have to wait and see how it performs for others for a year or so.

For now I'm happy with what I have in CS3.

Ray Bell September 30th, 2008 08:00 AM

For those considering upgrading to CS4... NAAP has a 15% coupon ....

That coupon paid for my membership to NAAP for another year :-)

Plus, Adobe says for limited time at this moment $200 discount on Suite...

Tripp Woelfel September 30th, 2008 05:39 PM

The thought of a discount had me going for a sec. The up to $200 discount is good only on CSx other than CS3 and Macromedia Studio. No love for the CS3 users.

Ray Bell September 30th, 2008 06:14 PM

Here's the price break down.... might help someone here...

Adobe - Creative Suite 4 Production Premium: Upgrade eligibility

and don't forget to get the 15% coupon discount

Olas Polare October 7th, 2008 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiri Fiala (Post 941443)
They look awesome! If they have fixed all (or at least some) those little annoyances and bad memory management, Premiere will be right on track with FCP, if not better.

Adobe Premiere Pro CS4: Printable overview

does the new "replace" thing mean proxies?
i cant believe premiere doesnt have a good proxy workflow already.
and whats the deal with not being able to change projects settings once they are set?

Steve Mullen December 10th, 2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Bell (Post 945301)
Here's the price break down.... might help someone here...

Adobe - Creative Suite 4 Production Premium: Upgrade eligibility

After finding the only thing I use in CS3 is PP and Encore (I have PS CS2 which is fine by me) I'm thinking of the UPGRADE to just PP/Encore. Adobe site claims I can do so from CS3 for $299.

But how does it actually work?

Do I have to have CS3 on my machine during upgrade?

Or do I just need the SN.

Can I remove CS3 from computer after the upgrade?

When I register PP CS4 -- what happens to my CS3 SUITE? Can I use it on another computer? Or, can I use everything but PP/Encore CS3 on another computer? Or, does everything in the CS3 Suite go dead?

Seems odd that after actually paying for the full CS3 SUITE and paying for PP CS -- my investment in CS3 SUITE is lost.