DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Sony XDCAM EX and Premiere Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/134229-sony-xdcam-ex-premiere-pro.html)

Ray Bell September 23rd, 2008 11:02 AM

Sony XDCAM EX and Premiere Pro

Looks like Adobe will have its own clip browser for the EX cams....

Check it out... there is a small movie showing how it works...

Adobe Premiere Pro CS4: Features

Alister Chapman September 23rd, 2008 12:18 PM

They were showing this at IBC and it looked very slick.

Piotr Wozniacki December 1st, 2008 07:53 AM

EX files adn Premiere CS4

I wanted to test EX files handling by Premiere CS4, so downloaded the trial but something is missing - I can neither create a HD project (other than DVCPROHD), nor import mp4's pr mxf's (importer generic error, or unknown format).

Is it the trial version limitation, or do I need to know something not obvious?

Piotr Wozniacki December 1st, 2008 11:06 AM

No one is editing EX video in CS4?

Pete Bauer December 1st, 2008 11:17 AM

Patience! It has only been the first 3 hours of Monday morning after a major holiday weekend in North America since your original post.

I don't do EX so can't say, but there has already been one significant update and at least one minor update to CS4 so it may well be that this capability was either fixed or added after the initial release.

Zach Cobb December 1st, 2008 11:22 AM

DAV's TechTable: XDCAM and Premiere Pro 3.2

Piotr,

The above link is to a page, with video links, of the workflow for XDCAM EX and PPro 3.2. It is the same for CS4. The demo does have some features disabled. HDV does not work in the demo, and I think some of the other formats are disabled, also.

While I don't own an XDCAM EX, I have had files sent to me in that format and they work fine in PPro CS4.

John Hedgecoe December 1st, 2008 11:24 AM

I am not 100% sure, but I think the trial version is not 100% functional for HD editing. Has something to do with the HD codecs, which only get installed with a serial number.

Piotr Wozniacki December 1st, 2008 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Cobb (Post 971147)
DAV's TechTable: XDCAM and Premiere Pro 3.2

Piotr,

The above link is to a page, with video links, of the workflow for XDCAM EX and PPro 3.2. It is the same for CS4. The demo does have some features disabled. HDV does not work in the demo, and I think some of the other formats are disabled, also.

While I don't own an XDCAM EX, I have had files sent to me in that format and they work fine in PPro CS4.

Thanks Zach. Indeed, not seeing even HDV in the possible project settings, I'm sure now the trial version has serious limitations.

Well, Adobe is not going to steal me away from Vegas this way :)

Tuomas Sebastien December 1st, 2008 11:34 AM

I was getting the same "generic error" when I had both CS3 and CS4 installed same time. Now with only CS4 importing works fine

James Huenergardt December 1st, 2008 11:51 AM

Tuomas,

Is this with the demo version of CS4? I have CS3 and my EX stuff edits great.

I downloaded the trial as well, but can't import. I'm thinking this has been disabled as there is no HDV either.

Bummer, I was wanting to try out some of the features before purchasing.

Tuomas Sebastien December 1st, 2008 12:11 PM

it was digital download version from adobe site

Piotr Wozniacki December 1st, 2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuomas Sebastien (Post 971178)
it was digital download version from adobe site

So was mine, but I only have the current (ie. CS4) version on my system (no any other Adobe stuff apart from the Acrobat reader). Yet - no HDV, no HD other than DVCPROHD, no EX import.

Alister Chapman December 1st, 2008 12:59 PM

I believe that Adobe license the Mpeg codec from a third party (mainconcept I think) so they don't include it in the demo versions as they would have to pay royalties.

Paul Kellett December 1st, 2008 04:42 PM

I've handed my native EX1 files to an editor who was using PP CS3.
I watched with my own eyes as he pulled the files from my portable hard drive onto the timeline, no rewrapping or converting at all.

Paul.

Joachim Hoge December 2nd, 2008 12:35 PM

I use Final Cut, but my work partner use Premier on his PC and it works very well.
When the camera came out however it took a while before Adobe was up and running