DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Cs2 Cs3 & Cs4 ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/136740-cs2-cs3-cs4.html)

Graham Hickling October 27th, 2008 09:25 PM

Cs2 Cs3 & Cs4 ?

Do some of you have all three Premiere's installed on the same PC? If so, do they play nice with each other?

Adam Gold October 27th, 2008 10:30 PM

I have 1.5.1 and CS3 together... it depends on what you mean by play nice. If you open a 1.5.1 project in CS3 it can no longer be read or opened by 1.5.1 if you make any changes or even save it...

Graham Hickling October 27th, 2008 10:36 PM

Thanks - I realize projects aren't backwards compatible. I should have explained properly - I was meaning whether CS4 interferred at all with previous installations? I know CS2 and CS3 run fine together.

Joe Riggs October 28th, 2008 01:05 AM

I was wondering the exact same thing. Can you have both suites on your computer at once, and will they work well, or is it only advisable to have CS3 or CS4 because it will make the computer/programs buggy?

Colin Zhang October 28th, 2008 02:48 AM

I'm not sure but I know that the installer auto-upgraded Acrobat 7 to 8 when I installed CS3

K.C. Luke October 28th, 2008 04:14 AM

Is better to have 1 CS product or you may have another product like Vegas.

Paul Kepen October 28th, 2008 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 956470)
I have 1.5.1 and CS3 together... it depends on what you mean by play nice. If you open a 1.5.1 project in CS3 it can no longer be read or opened by 1.5.1 if you make any changes or even save it...

So which version do you like the most?

What are the pro's/con's of each?

Does CS3 do anything that PPro 1.5.1 won't do?

Are you going to upgrade to CS4, and if so what features do you think make it worth it?

I mostly work in HDV, and I'm just trying to find out the merits of upgrading. Currently I have PPro 1.5.1 and Vegas 8.

Thanks for any input you may have - PK

Ervin Farkas October 28th, 2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K.C. Luke (Post 956531)
... or you may have another product like Vegas.

What do you mean?

Adam Gold October 28th, 2008 12:24 PM

Paul--
There are actually quite a few threads here with a lot of opinions about the new package, and they detail the new features that everyone is most excited about quite well. Others will have differing opinions, but here's my take--
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kepen (Post 956679)
So which version do you like the most?

I should clarify by saying that I have both versions installed on my old PC, which is at sort of the bare minimum specs. To be honest, I found greater improvements by installing Aspect HD from Cineform than by the actual CS3 upgrade. There are a lot of cool features in CS3, but I'm not sure I'm taking full advantage of them. I use exclusively CS3 on my new PC, but it's not really any more stable or reliable than 1.5.1, which was a major disappointment.
Quote:

What are the pro's/con's of each?

A definite plus for CS3 is that they fixed Adobe Media Encoder, so that you can now export really nicely to DVD and Blu-Ray. With 1.5.1 you really have to use a 3rd party app, in my opinion.
Quote:

Are you going to upgrade to CS4, and if so what features do you think make it worth it?

As soon as the new version of Aspect is ready, I plan to upgrade for many of the features detailed in the other threads. My hope is that Premiere CS4, while not a 64-bit app, will be able to utilize memory better and reduce some of the unpredictability and instability from prior releases. I really don't need any new features -- I barely use the ones they already have. Plus, by the time Cineform has the new Aspect HD available, there should have been a few updates of CS4 from Adobe to swat down any early bugs.

That's my take at least.

Paul Kepen October 28th, 2008 05:14 PM

Thanks Adam for answering all my questions. I just purchased the CS3 suite upgrade from my old PPro 1.5. It came with a free upgrade to CS4, so I just had to bite:). I also have Vegas, and have upgraded from Ver 6 (which was current at the same time as PPro 1.5) to Vegas 8. When I first tried Vegas, I didn't really like it's work flow. But now that I'm use to it, I fine it to be faster to edit with and more stable then PPro 1.5. However, it has its weaknesses, as do all the NLE's. I was hoping you'd be telling me that CS3 was more stable then 1.5. Oh well, Maybe CS4?

Graham Hickling October 28th, 2008 09:44 PM

Well I took the plunge. So to answer my own question - installing CS4 does not appear to have any adverse effect on CS2 and CS3 installs.

(Can't compare performance yet, as I have AspectHD for the earlier versions.)

For what it's worth, I found CS2 to be more stable than CS3 for small projects.

Colin Zhang October 29th, 2008 03:00 AM

I second that, Graham. I upgraded to CS3 from 2.0 and although I find it better in general, it does crash more often.