DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   How to fix unsynced audio/video? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/136897-how-fix-unsynced-audio-video.html)

Colin Zhang October 30th, 2008 03:30 AM

How to fix unsynced audio/video?

Hi all, for some reason about half way through my captured video the audio and video become unsynced. Is there a way to fix this? I counted at one point the audio being faster by about 6 seconds.

Tripp Woelfel October 30th, 2008 06:40 AM

You can fix this in the timeline by alt-clicking the audio track and dragging it to where you think they're close. Once you get it there, you can slide the audio by using either ctrl-arrow or shift-arrow right or left until you get it right. You should be able to do this pretty quickly.

If I had this problem, what would concern me would be what else is wrong with the video. I've learned that wonky video can appear to work when initially imported into a Premier project, but manifest problems later in the post production process.

If you can re-capture the footage now, it might save you some grief later.

Colin Zhang October 30th, 2008 06:41 AM

Also, there seems to be something ruining my captured video file, as this was not happening before and now it gets stuck, too. I opened it with VLC and it said something was corrupt, then proceeded to try and fix it. I accidentally canceled that...

Colin Zhang October 30th, 2008 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel (Post 957584)
You can fix this in the timeline by alt-clicking the audio track and dragging it to where you think they're close. Once you get it there, you can slide the audio by using either ctrl-arrow or shift-arrow right or left until you get it right. You should be able to do this pretty quickly.

If I had this problem, what would concern me would be what else is wrong with the video. I've learned that wonky video can appear to work when initially imported into a Premier project, but manifest problems later in the post production process.

If you can re-capture the footage now, it might save you some grief later.

Oh wow, I just posted at the same time as you.

I'll try and follow your advice but unfortunately recapturing is out of the question now as I am in the final stages of editing.

Thanks

Tripp Woelfel October 30th, 2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Zhang (Post 957588)
unfortunately recapturing is out of the question now as I am in the final stages of editing.

Actually, it shouldn't be that hard if you have access to the source tape. If you used Premier to capture the footage, duplicate the clip in the bin, then make it off-line (but don't delete the media).

Next, select the new offline clip in the bin and right click on it and select batch capture. Premier will then automagically get you a new copy of the clip.

Once captured, click on the new clip in the bin. Then go to original bad clip in the timeline and right click on it. Select "Replace Clip">"From Bin" and the new clip will replace the old one and any effects/transitions/etc. that you applied to the original clip will be applied to the replacement.

Colin Zhang October 31st, 2008 03:43 AM

Thing is, my desktop editing machine doesn't have firewire so I have to capture through Nero or some other program on my ultraportable (read: ultra-slow) laptop then transfer to the desktop through a USB hard drive.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely keep this in mind when editing the 2nd version over the next week.