DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Artifacts problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/140004-artifacts-problem.html)

Vincent Oliver December 20th, 2008 08:38 AM

Artifacts problem

Every time I import a file using my Matrox RT.X2 card using the MPEG iFrame I get these results

Artifacts screen shot

Up to now I have managed to get away with this by importing files as AVI. Now I have just invested in a Sony EX3 which only produces MPEG4 files and I get these artifacts several times each minute. They appear as a one frame flash and are at random times.

Can anyone shed some light on this.

Adobe Premierre Pro CS3, RTX2 card, 4 gb RAM, Windows XP

Harm Millaard December 20th, 2008 10:53 AM

Have you considered that this might be a fringe benefit of using the RT-X2?

Vincent Oliver December 21st, 2008 06:39 AM

I was hoping for a better solution than this.

Devin Termini December 23rd, 2008 12:16 AM

I've used lots of EX footage in Premiere CS3 and I have no troubles just dumping the footage into folders and editing from there.

Are you using a different process to import the footage with the RT.X2 card?

Vincent Oliver December 23rd, 2008 03:14 AM

No, I am using the same technique as you, although I have tried several other methods too. I seems that the artifacts start to appear after you apply two or more effects, Matrox or Premierre. I can get away with just colour correction but if I apply a Flicker removal (Premierre OPtion) then I get the atrifacts. I am going to remove the Sound Blaster Audigy card today, I have a gut feeling that this may be causing a conflict. I will then try it in another slot.

Thanks for your response

Vincent Oliver December 23rd, 2008 05:20 AM

This may be the wrong place for this question, but as it is happening with my EX3 footage I thought someone may have an answer.

Every time I import a file into Premiere CS3, using a Matrox RTX2 card and apply a couple of effects I get these results

Photoshop CS3

I have managed to get away with this by importing files as an AVI. Now I have just invested in a Sony EX3 which only produces MPEG4 files and I get these artefacts several times each minute. They appear as a one frame flash and are at random times.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I have included a short bit of test footage here

Matrox Artifacts

It is a 25mb QT movie file, shot on the Sony EX3, dropped into the timeline a Matrox colour correction and Premierre Flicker removal has been applied. The artefacts also appear when two or more Matrox effects are applied. If I just use one effect, i.e. colour correction then the footage is perfect.

System Asus board with 4 gb RAM, Nvidia 7950GT graphics card with 512mb ram, Sound Blaster Audigy card, and several hard drives (SATA). Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, RTX2 card. All items are Matrox approved etc. Windows XP SP 3

Todd Clark December 23rd, 2008 10:25 AM

Did you try updating your grachics drivers?

Vincent Oliver December 23rd, 2008 10:27 AM

That was my first step, all the latest updates are in place.

Jiri Fiala December 23rd, 2008 10:46 AM

Does this happen in Adobe projects too, or only in Matrox Projects? I have RTX2 too, it makes all sorts of hell, but nothing like this. My bet would be bad graphic driver, but since you updated that too, I`m not so sure.

Vincent Oliver December 23rd, 2008 10:57 AM

It doesn't happen in EXCAM EX projects or Adobe projects, but then I also lose the ability to use the JVC studio monitor preview

Harm Millaard December 23rd, 2008 11:11 AM

In that case either contact Matrox to supply functional drivers,
or forfeit the Matrox altogether and go for stability.

Vincent Oliver December 23rd, 2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harm Millaard (Post 982923)
or forfeit the Matrox altogether and go for stability.

This seems like the only option that may work so far, but as the card cost me the best part of £1000, I think I may just hold out hope that a solution can be found.

Thanks

Mike McCarthy December 23rd, 2008 04:51 PM

The EX1 and EX3 both shoot MPEG2, and just have an MPEG4 wrapper. Combining that info with the fact that MPEG2 I-Frame HD was giving you issues, leads me to suspect the possibility that something is wrong with MPEP2 decoder on your system. Matrox replaces many of those system services with their own when you install the RT-X2, so a reinstall of that software should refresh all of the files required for MPEG2 playback. I believe Matrox is set to release a new version of the RT-X2 software in the next day or two, but I can't necessarily advocate using it, over the current 3.6 version unless you really need CS4 or 64bit support. A reinstall of the current version should be sufficient, if that is going to fix the problem. If that doesn't work, I have no further ideas, besides further testing in the native Adobe EX mode.

Vincent Oliver December 24th, 2008 01:51 AM

Thank you Mike,

A complete reinstall was/is on the cards for today. I also wondered if it was a conflict between my Sound Blaster Audigy card and the Matrox. Problems, problems - all I want to do is just use the camera to produce some DVDs, I can do without all this nonsense.

Have a great Christmas and a very Happy New Year.