DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   audio madness (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/141070-audio-madness.html)

Jay Legere January 7th, 2009 10:20 AM

audio madness

Hey there.

Just wondering if this is a setting issue or not.

yesterday I captured a tape from my camcorder which was a mastered tape...mixed on channel one and 2 two. However when I finished capturing this mixed tape there was only one channel to work with on the timeline in premiere cs3, it was properly balanced left and right just as it was on the master tape, but instead of having 2 channels to work with...i had one

this must be a settings issue, otherwise it is sort of dissapointing.

my instinct was to select audio channels one and two in the timeline before I placed the source clip in the timeline and then all would be great...but I wasn't even able to select both channels on the timeline at the same time.

is this an old problem I should have figured out long ago?

Thanks

Peter Manojlovic January 7th, 2009 08:17 PM

Hey Jay........Nunavut eh??
Man, i'd love to visit there one day...

I believe there's an option in Premiere for stereo channels..
Before dropping the AVI onto the timeline, go to the Project/source panel, and right click the clip..
There should be an option to output the stereo to two Mono channels...Once you enable this, drop the clip to the timeline, and you should have a video track, and two mono tracks...

Good luck...

Tripp Woelfel January 8th, 2009 08:05 AM

Peter's right. If you want discreet left and right channels that can be put on different tracks in the timeline, right click the clip in the bin and change the audio options.

Important: you must do this before you drop it into the timeline. Once in the timeline you cannot change that property. The "why" of this is beyond me. There is a workaround for this if you already have it in the timeline and you don't want to remove the clip and start over, but it's a bit of a kluge.

Jay Legere January 8th, 2009 08:23 AM

Thanks both of you.

When I get home tonight I will check it out...

I tried doing it last night to a clip that I had already dropped on the timeline...and it wasn't happeing, so I will bring in something new and give it a shot...

I do wish I could ride levels as they were being ingested...is this possible too?

Tripp Woelfel January 8th, 2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Legere (Post 991196)
I do wish I could ride levels as they were being ingested...is this possible too?

Ingested when? Of course you can ride them whilst recording but after that you're stuck with what you get. Next chance to adjust them is in PP.

Jay Legere January 8th, 2009 10:52 PM

ingested into the program from my camera...I use the word ingested instead of captured sometimes.

At work I edit with Avid, love the program but costly. while I am ingesting from a deck I can ride the the audio levels at the same time so when I am editing there is little fuss over audio levels. It is great!

Tripp Woelfel January 9th, 2009 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Legere (Post 991658)
I use the word ingested instead of captured sometimes.

I knew exactly what you meant. (grin)

That would be a helpful feature but I just don't think it'll be showing up within PP in my lifetime, but I'm old and there's not much of it left.