DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   3 minute .mov limit (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/16816-3-minute-mov-limit.html)

Tao-ming Lin November 7th, 2003 09:08 PM

3 minute .mov limit

When I export from Premiere 6.5 to .avi, I can do it, but when I try the Quicktime option it cuts everything off just after 3 minutes, but I don't know why. Also, I can't get 6.5 to recognize my DVX100. I use a Canopus Raptor. The reason for this is my friend is making the DVD on his Powerbook and needs a .mov file to work with. His computer doens't recognize avi files, or at least now Canopus Raptor-generated avi's.

Will upgrading to Premiere 7 (Pro) resolve this issue and others? Can I import 6.5 projects into 7 without a problem? Is it even a Premiere problem, and not a Windows or Canopus issue?

Tao-ming Lin November 14th, 2003 11:44 PM

Ah, screw it, I should just get a G5.

Ted Springer November 15th, 2003 04:35 PM

You might want to wait a few months before getting a G5, as they are still kind of buggy.

Is Adobe Premiere 6.5 the latest version? If so I have heard nothing but complaints about it from a friend who has the "latest version". This may be a quirk. Try making sure your in and out points on the timeline are set correctly, if applicable. That's about all I can suggest.

John Locke November 15th, 2003 05:20 PM

TC,

Hold off for the dual 3 gHz G5 they're saying will be released early next year.

Tao-ming Lin November 15th, 2003 08:05 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ted Springer : You might want to wait a few months before getting a G5, as they are still kind of buggy.

Is Adobe Premiere 6.5 the latest version? If so I have heard nothing but complaints about it from a friend who has the "latest version". This may be a quirk. Try making sure your in and out points on the timeline are set correctly, if applicable. That's about all I can suggest. -->>>

Premiere 7 (Pro) is the latest, and I haven't upgraded to it yet as I was afraid it would be buggy, as they built this one from the ground up, or so I hear. This is a problem with 6.5. I export the timeline to .mov, just as I would export to .avi, which has no such issues, and it gives me just over three minutes of whatever project I'm working on. Across the board. There's no mention of a cutoff or any settings to change to affect this. It just happens, as far as I can see, and I have no idea why. It's really frustrating because I really want to be done with this thing already.

I don't have nearly enough money to buy a G5, actually, and the earliest I could get one would be early next year in any case.

Ted Springer November 15th, 2003 08:16 PM

Another Question would be: Do you have Quicktime Pro? I don't know if this would make a difference, but maybe Quicktime clips you if it isn't the fully registered version. Also, have you tried encoding different codecs using Quicktime? Try something like Sorenson or one of the other codecs. Try adjusting the compression level. I am grasping at straws here, but that's what I would try.

As for the DV issue, my friend couldn't get Premiere to recognize ANY DV camera (I think it was Premiere 6 or 5.5... not sure, he just "upgraded") because he had a Canopus DV Raptor capture card, which he has also come to loath. I think the latest Premiere fixes that issue, at least. Is there a tab or option in premiere that lets you switch between camera and non-controllable device? I had this problem in Final Cut Pro and it was set to non-controllable device.

Tao-ming Lin November 15th, 2003 08:20 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ted Springer : Another Question would be: Do you have Quicktime Pro? I don't know if this would make a difference, but maybe Quicktime clips you if it isn't the fully registered version. Also, have you tried encoding different codecs using Quicktime? Try something like Sorenson or one of the other codecs. Try adjusting the compression level. I am grasping at straws here, but that's what I would try. -->>>

I have Quicktime Pro, actually, but the project is a Premiere project, thus it is either Premiere or Windows in general that seems to be the problem here. Also, there are many Quicktime compression choices listed in the export choices. I selected the first one, "Planar RGB". This may have been a bad choice, but I don't know which one would be best. Does anyone know?

Ted Springer November 15th, 2003 08:23 PM

If you are exporting for the web, I'd choose Sorenson or Sorenson 3, with the compression a little above 50%. The audio should be IMA 4:1 and 32Khz stereo. That'll give you a good web video.

If you want to watch it on your TV, I'd just export to Quicktime NTSC DV (or PAL, depending on where you are) full quaity, no sound compression. I have never used Planar RGB and I would be suspect, because some of those codecs are a little wacky.

Glenn Chan November 15th, 2003 08:27 PM

mpeg4 audio gives much better compression but it needs QT6 to play back. sorenson3 needs QT5.

Tao-ming Lin November 15th, 2003 08:31 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ted Springer : If you are exporting for the web, I'd choose Sorenson or Sorenson 3, with the compression a little above 50%. The audio should be IMA 4:1 and 32Khz stereo. That'll give you a good web video.

If you want to watch it on your TV, I'd just export to Quicktime NTSC DV (or PAL, depending on where you are) full quaity, no sound compression. I have never used Planar RGB and I would be suspect, because some of those codecs are a little wacky. -->>>

I'd choose no compression if the choice were there, but it's not; you have to choose one to export to Quicktime, even at 100% quality. There's still no reason for it to stop after 3 minutes, though.

This is for a DVD, btw, not the web, so I want the highest quality export I can get from the original Premiere project file.

Tao-ming Lin November 16th, 2003 09:06 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ted Springer : Try choosing "Uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2". That's uncompressed. -->>>

I don't see where I can choose that when exporting the movie from Premiere.

Guest November 16th, 2003 10:51 PM

Please launch QuickTime Pro when you are in QuickTime go to import movie. From there go to where anyone of the .avi files reside and then import it into QT.

This is to check if you have the capabilities to play a file as you might be missing a codec for QT. Having done this and it works the next step is to make sure that you have exported your entire project as this I have done in the past only exporting a partial.

Tao-ming Lin November 17th, 2003 12:28 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Tom Neumann : Please launch QuickTime Pro when you are in QuickTime go to import movie. From there go to where anyone of the .avi files reside and then import it into QT.

This is to check if you have the capabilities to play a file as you might be missing a codec for QT. Having done this and it works the next step is to make sure that you have exported your entire project as this I have done in the past only exporting a partial. -->>>

My Quicktime will play .avi files in general. And in Premiere I was exporting the whole timeline so there's no reason Premiere should only export just over 3 minutes.

Rob Lohman November 24th, 2003 07:40 AM

I'm not sure whether (older) Mac's have this problem, but are
you running into a/the 2 GB or 4 GB barrier?

Tao-ming Lin November 24th, 2003 09:14 AM

Could be, the files stop at 3.99 gigs. When I exported to .avi format, it had no such barrier, though. Why would it suddenly have the barrier for the .mov files?

Rob Lohman November 24th, 2003 09:18 AM

Perhaps the QuickTime format does not support larger files?
It doesn't have to be a filesystem limitation. The limit can also
be in the fileformat or the software you are using.

Guest November 24th, 2003 11:59 AM

To get answer for you could you please tell me the format of your system.
OS, what version, how many drives, is QT fully installed?

Could you post your complete system.....

I will have an answer for you ASA

Tao-ming Lin November 24th, 2003 09:26 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Tom Neumann : To get answer for you could you please tell me the format of your system.
OS, what version, how many drives, is QT fully installed?

Could you post your complete system.....

I will have an answer for you ASA -->>>

Windows XP Professional, Premiere 6.5, two hard disk drives, one 120gb for footage and the other 60 for OS. QT Pro installed.

Rob Lohman November 25th, 2003 03:50 AM

My guess is that this is a limitation of the QuickTime format
(perhaps only on a PC?). Is there a reason you need to use
QuickTime for this? If so, perhaps you can split it into multiple
files?

Tao-ming Lin November 25th, 2003 04:28 AM

My friend is going to author the DVD version of our Lady X episodes on his Powerbook, which seems to only be able to read .mov files.