DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Premiere Pro "Sorry, a serious error ... requires shut down" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/18862-premiere-pro-sorry-serious-error-requires-shut-down.html)

Chris Long December 27th, 2003 08:56 AM

Premiere Pro "Sorry, a serious error ... requires shut down"

Hi All
Just getting into my Premiere Pro lately, and have found this error message popping up every so often ("Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premier Pro to shutdown. We will attempt to save your current project.") I see by the User Forums at Adobe that they are aware of it, and that it seems to be common. Also, it seems to happen in a number of different circumstances, and the fix that Adobe touts hasn't solved it for everyone. I guess I'm waiting for a patch; I'm in no particular hurry (thankfully!).

I'm just curious: have any other Premiere Pro users at this Forum had this problem?

I did a search here and didn't come up with any posts about it, which surprised me given the frequency it showed up at the Adobe forums.

Devin Doyle December 27th, 2003 09:30 AM

Chris, this problem has also happened to me a handful of times. Whenever it does strike, I can't use premiere anymore that windows session without the same thing happening again. After I reboot I'm able to use it without a hitch - it is quite odd, but so long as it doesn't destroy my project files I'll just grin & bear it.

Jarno Satopaa December 27th, 2003 10:54 AM

Yeah, my PPro does that too... Running on a HP laptop and XP Pro. I have quite a many times almost thrown the mouse out of the window as PPro crashes after not a single warning.

I've noticed it's most common when using the color corrector effect or resizing the monitor window. Guess I'll have to live with it... Til the day i throw the PC out and buy a Mac with FCP. Wouldn't crash no more :)

-Jarno

Simon Wyndham January 1st, 2004 09:21 AM

LOL! I wouldn't bank on it. I just went around to a colleagues editing suite to see how his latest production was coming along. He was runnin a Mac with FCP, and it crashed twice while I was there!

Chris Long January 1st, 2004 09:43 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Simon Wyndham : it crashed twice while I was there! -->>>

Don't want to engage my sense of schadenfreude too much, but I need to hear this kind of thing every so often, just to keep my sense of balance...Thanks Simon lol

Simon Wyndham January 1st, 2004 12:04 PM

You're welcome. :-)

Boyd Ostroff January 1st, 2004 12:36 PM

Well I don't want to start a platform war since those are usually pointless. I just want to add my personal experience with Final Cut Pro 3.0.4 under MacOS X 10.2.8 on G4/1.25 ghz. I find it extremely stable and can edit for days with no problems. During a couple months of work on my last project I only remember one crash. Obviously there are a lot of variables that can affect how stable a piece of software is.

Rob Lohman January 1st, 2004 01:44 PM

Must say my Vegas 4.0d on XP SP1 is pretty stable as well. Only
had one crash once.

Glenn Chan January 1st, 2004 11:40 PM

I started messing around with Premiere Pro and it got that error message pretty fast. And there was only one 30 second clip in the timeline. It's just unacceptable for Adobe to release such a buggy product. I suppose other programs were crash-tastic too in their first revision (i.e. Final Cut Pro 3 before patches). And at least Premiere Pro doesn't suck as much as its previous incarnations.

Vegas by the way is pretty stable. Recording audio is a bit buggy and it gets graphics glitches sometimes, but I've never seen it crash.

Jarno Satopaa January 2nd, 2004 11:00 AM

I found out I get the least errors after having shut every running program from Win Task Manager (excluding Explorer. And yeah, Premiere, of course =). I believe it's about PPro having problems dealing with my notebook's firewire/display adapter/whatever four-in-one driver. I should anyway buy a PCMCIA card, because the built-in FW doesn't support chainlinking devices, and I've also had problems with capturing on Ppro...

The comment about towing the PC out was based on my 7 years exp as a cross-user on mac and PC, and I would choose neither, but tow them both together you get a helluva package; with the pros and cons of both. I like PPro's user interface, the ability to carry the laptop with me, good media management abilities (which I've read about being a bit unstable on Vegas) and so on. Still, there are things I really don't like... Anyway, I wouldn't care to buy a powerbook, because the table-top G4 suits me (and the portable PC that I use is my employer's :)

Glenn, you've got a point; we should be happy that Ppro doesn't suck just as much as Premiere 5 when it came to market, it was plain horrible even trying to configure it. I remember I had to reinstall Windows some five or six times before the program even started. And yes, FCP was a collection of bugs, and having to download the patches with a 32k'er modem... aarrgh. Well, hopefully enough we have these fast DSLs today.

Anyway, I'll try to find out what causes this ...issue. Don't know if it's one of PPros built-in features or just a hardware/software co-operation problem, but hopefully I get something done. Otherwise this makes me plain mad. Having to save every two minutes.

Oh, and sorry about my slightly rusted English, it's been years since I lived there :)

Rob Lohman January 2nd, 2004 11:10 AM

Why not give the demo of Vegas a try from this URL? Works
fine on my laptop. I'm not able to capture from my camera
directly from to my firewire harddisk either, just as you. That's
indeed probably the limitation of the laptop (since as soon as I
plug my camera in my harddisk becomes unavailable, outside of
any NLE).

Jarno Satopaa January 4th, 2004 03:58 AM

Thanks Rob, I'll give Vegas a try... Then I'll see what it has to do with editing :)

-Jarno

James Duffy January 4th, 2004 09:43 AM

Personally, I don't like XP, so I'm staying with my stable win2000 system with premiere 6.5... I definitely like Pro better, but I'm not sure that it's worth having to use XP with their screwy file system that I blaim for corrupting my hard drive :P