DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Is my PC strong enough for Premiere Pro? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/22277-my-pc-strong-enough-premiere-pro.html)

Jay Butler March 2nd, 2004 05:40 PM

Is my PC strong enough for Premiere Pro?

I'm very sorry that I'm making this topic, I hope I don't get flamed to much, but I'm already running late for work and didn't have time to do a search :)

I have a

P4 2.6ghz
80gig HD
(going to buy another 120gig soon)
768mb RAM

WIN XP

I want to get Premiere Pro for my DCR-VX2100, is this the type of computer that would be strong enough? And does the demo reflect the purchase copy of Premiere, if so I'm sure that might give me my answers but I'm not to sure...

Thx again.

Bryan Roberts March 2nd, 2004 06:20 PM

I have almost your same setup (p4 2.4 gighz) with 1 gig of RD ram and premiere pro feels sluggish on my PC. Premiere pro was really designed for the user with a high end studio setup IMO. I would strongly take a look at Vegas Video 4. Coming from an ex-premiere ADVOCATE, Vegas Video on a consumer level PC is truly an amazing program - it's what I cut my DVX100a footage with.

Bryan McCullough March 2nd, 2004 10:18 PM

I ran Pro on a system similar to that (2.6) only I had a gig of RAM. I just recently got a new editor (a 2.8) and the old machine is now the DVD authoring station.

You'll be fine.

Jay Butler March 3rd, 2004 03:47 AM

So one person says it'll be sluggish and one says it'll be just fine. The war is on! lol, does Vegas have as good as plugins as Premiere Pro?

blah, didn't think picking editing software would be so damn tough, lol

Char Siu March 3rd, 2004 04:48 AM

FYI: I run PPro on an Intel 2.8C (800MHz front side bus) with a "decrepit" video card (GeForce 2) and 1GB dual-channel RAM. Runs like a charm. When I had only 512Mb, though, it would stutter (swap to disk) if I tried to run more than one program at once.

How come whenever someone mentions something about Premiere, someone *always* chimes in saying they should give Vegas a try?!? :)

Jeff Smallwood March 3rd, 2004 07:57 AM

I run PP at 2.8ghz and 512RAM, it runs ok but it does have the occasional slowness, so I would say you should be ok.

Bryan Roberts March 3rd, 2004 11:19 AM

I almost always mention Vegas simply because I used to be a stubborn Premiere Advocate until I was forced to check out Vegas due to my 24p dvx. Premiere Pro will run fine on your computer, I just am OCD with responsiveness of programs. Any little pause here and there with normal tasks really bothers the crap out of me when I consider my computer on the faster end (getting slower though). Vegas has not given me any of these little pauses with normal tasks as Premiere Pro did. Both are great programs, you know my choice, best of luck to you!

Rob Lohman March 3rd, 2004 11:39 AM

Yes, the demo should be a pretty good indication how both
programs will run on your system. Try them both out!

Jay Butler March 3rd, 2004 01:37 PM

Thx for all your guys help, it's appreciated...

One last thing, a 80gig HD should be good enough right? I can't seem to find that answer anywhere, or is it better to have more then 80gigs?

Joe Pitz March 3rd, 2004 02:22 PM

Hey Jay, I have 60 gigs and have the entire Video Collection installed. But that said, If you plan to any amount of editing, space is eaten up quickly. I went out and bought another 160 gig drive that I use just for footage and project files.

BTW I have an Athlon 2600 with 512 meg of memory. As long as I run one Adobe app at a time I am ok. It is slow at times but no problems.

Thanks

Joe

Paul Tauger March 3rd, 2004 02:24 PM

I have a 2.8 GHz P4 with 512 meg of RAM. Pro runs fine on my system. You might want to try overclocking. I recently tried pushing the P4 to 2.99 GHz and it runs fine -- it's stable and doesn't overheat. This is usually a simple BIOS setting in more modern machines.

As for the 80-gig drive, that's not a lot of room. DV is about 13 gig/hour, but you need additional room for rendering, transcoding, etc. I consider 80 gig the bare minimum to do any serious editing. Adding the 120-gig will make a big difference.

Make sure you set Pro to use the second drive as the scratch disk -- it will slow the program down considerably if set to the same drive as the OS and the executables.

Bryan McCullough March 3rd, 2004 03:19 PM

I will often have Premiere, After Effects, and Photoshop all open at the same time without any trouble.

As for the HD space, you'll always be growing this. So there's not an answer to the question, "Is this enough?" The question should be, "Is this enough to start?"

And 80 is fine to start, but keep your eye out for good HD sales.

Kent Fraser March 4th, 2004 05:17 PM

Running PPro on a 2.53 with 1gig ram and 120 gig HD. Works fine, but am also using the RTX100 and wouldn't consider editing without it.

Kent

Dennis Robinson April 1st, 2004 10:14 AM

Hi, I use 2.6 with 120 gig HD and 1 gig of ram and premiere Pro works fine. Its a lot faster and smoother than 6.5 and is the best thing I have done making the move up. It lets me use all the real time effects and transitions and I use it to produce TV commercials.

David Martin April 14th, 2004 02:37 AM

2.26 Ghz P4, 768 meg PC800 RDRAM, both Premiere Pro and Vegas run fine on it..........