DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Multi-camera in 4.1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/237067-multi-camera-4-1-a.html)

Matt Vanecek June 9th, 2009 07:28 PM

Multi-camera in 4.1

Has anybody noticed that Multi-camera editing in 4.1 seems to be way slower? Before the upgrade, I was happily multi-camera-ing CFHD and M2T files without an hint of a stutter. Now, after upgrading to 4.1, whenever I switch cameras, the video playback freezes, although audio, etc., keeps playing. The video catches up, but by then I have to stop, go back to the cut, and pick up from where it froze. Very frustrating.

i7 920
12GB RAM
eSATA RAID0 for video source

Is it just me?

Thanks,
Matt

Matt Vanecek June 9th, 2009 08:58 PM

Also, when I close and try to reopen the project, with the Multi-Camera window open, Premiere Pro just freezes. Locks right up. I've walked away and had dinner and came back, and it was still frozen. The only way to fix it is to create a new project, import the old project, and exit PPro AFTER making sure the Multi-Camera window is closed--doesn't matter if the window is docked or undocked.

Thanks,
Matt

Tripp Woelfel June 11th, 2009 04:59 AM

Sounds like a call to Adobe support is in order... or at least submit a bug report.

Your situation underscores fundamental issues with major re-writes. Developers are always looking forward to the promise of faster hardware in the hardware. That's why re-writes are generally slower than the products they replace. There is also a risk to reliability when previously stable code is touched.

Significant re-writes, as Adobe have touted CS4, might be good for new features, but speed and reliability can often take a hit in the early releases. This is my experience from 20 years experience in the software business.

Matt Vanecek June 24th, 2009 09:13 PM

Tripp,
I had filed a trouble ticket already. I develop software for a living (well, architect it nowadays, mostly, as we bring in untrained offshore "developers"--who are wonderful people but wouldn't know an Object if it hit them about the head...). I understand feature and code bloat--we're constantly fighting it--"if we add that feature for you, the process's performance will be very adversely affected"--but the business partners still want it--and bitch about performance. :(

Anyhow, I had a ticket opened. The offshore helpdesk guy sent me the solution for Premiere crashing on Windows XP. It's like he didn't even read my ticket!! If you've ever filled out one of Adobes support tickets, you know they can be quite detailed, and I provided detailed information about exactly what was going wrong. I dislike corporate helpdesks....

So, I went through the "Premiere is crashing" steps anyhow, and just posted the results. Also updated my post in the Adobe Premiere (current) forum:

Quote:

I completely uninstalled Production Premium, and reinstalled it, plus updates to everything EXCEPT Premiere Pro. Then I installed the Premiere Pro 4.0.1 update (but specifically NOT the 4.1 update!) Guess what? Multi-camera is now running like a champ again, with not a stutter one, and without rendering the timeline. AND working with both M2T and CFHD files, AND working even with files on the same non-RAID drive (for giggles and grins, I tried--usually I use my eSATA RAID0). Adobe royally messed up Multi-Camera in 4.1, it appears to me. Maybe I'm a rare occurrence...
This was step 9 from the KB article recommended by the intrepid helpdesk guy. I guess I'll be without the 4.1 update until this is resolved. I'll just have to crack open a brew whenever loading a larger project, to quench my thirst in the long wait. My only concern is when Cineform releases the RT engine for CS4, will they require 4.1, or will it work with 4.0.1? Reckon I'll post that question in the Cineform forum.

I guess the short answer is, if you want Multi-Camera, stick with 4.0.1. If you want faster project load times, you'll be stuck without decent Multi-Camera recording...

Thanks,
Matt

Matt Vanecek August 10th, 2009 08:15 PM

Finally, a response from Adobe

After weeks of back and forth, FINALLY got at least an acknowledgement of a problem. Would've been nice of them to tell me in the first place.

Quote:

***Notes to Customer***
08/10/200916:24:26
Hello Matthew,
Thank you for contacting AdobeŽ Web Support for assistance with Adobe
PremiereŽ CS4.
I understand that playback in multi-camera after the 4.1 update on Vista
64 is choppy and unresponsive. We are aware of the issue and are
working
to resolve it in a future update. For now a possible suggestion is to
roll back to 4.0.1 and not use CineformŽ or use the 4.1 version of the
application.

Marty Baggen August 13th, 2009 10:46 AM

Matt... what's the proper steps to take to roll back to 4.01? Uninstall Premiere and reinstall within the CS4 process?

I'm wondering if some of the issues I'm having with Cineform is related to the 4.1 update.

Adam Gold December 12th, 2009 11:58 AM

So I'm wondering if the latest updates have resolved this issue. Anyone with experience here? Matt?

Matt Vanecek December 17th, 2009 09:48 PM

I haven't had opportunity to work a multi-camera project lately, so haven't seen if the latest update has worked. Might have to resurrect the last one and test it out.

Thanks,
Matt