DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Help needed now!!! 48 Hour Film Fest (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/237336-help-needed-now-48-hour-film-fest.html)

Scott Nelson June 14th, 2009 01:43 PM

Help needed now!!! 48 Hour Film Fest

I am trying to output my film for the 48HFP in adobe premiere 2.0. I had to downgrade cause of issues with my computer and have no clue whats goin on here...

I set the export for 720x480 as per the rules. and it shows in the output screen as 320x240.

It was shot in 1080i but it wont go to 720x480...

It exports as 320 too... I need an answer ASAP!!!

Ideas?

Needs to be 720x480 Quicktime...

Graham Hickling June 14th, 2009 02:43 PM

Is your original timeline 1080i? In other words, if you simply do an "export file", without adjusting any settings, does it correctly export to a new 1080i file? (I'm trying to figure out if the problem is with your project settings or your export settings).

Are they asking for a DVD, or DV footage, or what? Do you have any other encoders on your machine you could use?

Chris Barcellos June 14th, 2009 03:18 PM

Never had good luck with Quicktime in Premeire. For the 48Hours, I alway render and capture back to DV Tape, which is acceptable form for them. Problem is if you don't letter box it, the 48hour Project hasn't figured out how project 16:9, so you PAR gets screwed up. So be sure to letterbox your output.

Scott Nelson June 14th, 2009 03:33 PM

Source is captured in 1080i and it shows at 1080i when exporting, but it didn't export to the needed 720.

When we went to file>export movie it went to .avi at 720 just fine, but interlaced.

We never had this problem with CS3.

Graham Hickling June 14th, 2009 03:41 PM

Um, it's really hard to follow what you are saying in your two emails ... 720, 320 and so on.

Without a detailed step by step on your export settings and so on it's hard to guess what's gone wrong. If you were on a PC I'd suggest resizing and letterboxing with Virtualdub (free) but it sounds like you are on a Mac....

Scott Nelson June 14th, 2009 07:27 PM

Well, I figured it out... And I feel like an idiot too...

Friday night we got our assignment, We also decided to upgrade my computer with a new graphics card so I could have dual monitor support. Well, Some drivers didn't get uninstalled, and other never did.... Not sure what happened, but my buddy fixed it for me, this required saving what we could and re-formatting the drive.... SO... I lost my Adobe CS3..

So I got Pro 2.0 and try using that... well we realized that I didn't have quicktime on there so I quickly downloaded the free one and tried it again to export it as 720x480 letter boxed... It would only export it at a max res of 320x240... It looked like crap!

So, We quick unplug the computer run it over to the advertising guy at my friend family business, have him meet us there and come in special to help us... We plug it in and I try to show him what was wrong... and wouldn't you know it... It worked just fine!!!

Any guesses as to what the issue was???

When I installed Quicktime, I never re-started the computer (I did restart pro tons of times) So the codecs or whatever it needed, hadn't finished installing. So now I feel like an idiot!

Anyways... I am slowly fixing the computer back up... but boy do I feel stupid! but atleast the film got in on time! It looked great too!

Thank you guys for your help though!!!

Cole McDonald June 14th, 2009 10:59 PM

Good to hear, did you turn in on time? We got ours in and are pretty happy with it (We screen 7pm Wednesday - Group C?). I love these competitions. It gives a crucible environment for improving your skills under the worst/best possible conditions.

We got Sci Fi and had waaay too much fun writing and shooting ours.

Epically cool location, Great grip equipment that we didn't end up having to rent!

Look forward to seeing what you guys were able to do :) I should sleep, but I'm still just buzzing with that directorly thing in these timed competitions that keeps you going through the night (I was also the only one with any Digital FX experience - first time shooting with green screen for anyone on our team! Some turned out pretty bad, and others turned out quite well ( we found out that even a crappy, wrinkly screen can be keyed alright in 4:1:1 SD by over exposing the background a touch... the darker ones where we stopped down the camera for whatever reason keyed poorly ;)

Scott Nelson June 15th, 2009 08:38 AM

Yeah, I love green screening... That was one of the first things I got after all my equipment.

We got Family Film, Not too happy about it.. We first got mocumentary, but we could not figure out any ideas so we went with the wild card... I was hoping for something other than foreign, fable, or family... and sure enough!

We wern't too sure on what kind of "Family Film" they wanted. So we went with that brought a family together after a horrible drug addiction... It turned out great! I screen at 7:00pm Tuesday, Group A.

I still have not decided if I am going to go to all the screenings... I have to work early in the morning so I don't want to be out late.. lol

Glad yours went good for you! Maybe I might see yours if I am able to!

Cole McDonald June 16th, 2009 07:30 AM

Our team has vowed never to take a wild card (we don't have a problem with them, just a thing). We are into the challenge aspect of it and go so far as to come up with challenges for each of our departments to spark their creativity (art dep't has to use a specific material, camera dep't has to utilize new technique X). We like to push ourselves really hard to get the project out at a higher level each year.

I love the crucible of craft that this competition gives us - really allows us to examine not only our story telling, but our organization skills, management skills and technical prowess. I hope your screening goes well tonight, after the competition, I would love to get a link to watch yours and I'll have mine up as well.

Scott Nelson June 17th, 2009 04:18 PM

Here is the link to mine... It looked like crap on the screen due to color issues... Turns out I have a bad monitor X(. It was newer and well taken care of...

Anyway, I re-edited it after the festival and here is what it was supposed to look and sound like...

Halfway Home on Vimeo

Cole McDonald June 18th, 2009 01:03 PM

Were you at the 7pm screening last night? We had the space station :) I have to find out how posting the short here will affect future festival submissions before I do so. But once I figure all that out, I'll happily put it up here.

Cole McDonald June 18th, 2009 02:08 PM

Do you have that up somewhere other than Vimeo? My laptop plays all vimeo footage poorly... I don't tend to watch links posted there (I did try in this case - but got 5-10 FPS on it)

Scott Nelson June 18th, 2009 10:14 PM

Yeah, we had the 7pm showing on the 16th... I don't remember a space station.. That wasn't the sand one... was it?

I don't have it on Youtube yet... I may put it up once I get a channel for my film work...

As far as I knew you could post your video on the internet all you wanted...

Here it is... Note #1

The 48 Hour Film Project: What Should I Do with My Film?

Hope to see yours soon!

Edit... No I wasn't there last night... I only went to mine... money is tight after that film. Note, Don't spend money on food if no one is going to eat it... 2 pizzas, donuts, 24pk Red Bull, 12pk of Dew, bag of candy, 2 BIG bags of chips, variety box of chips, and a few cases of water... I still have most of it!

Cole McDonald June 19th, 2009 12:37 AM

Yeah, we were in the wednesday 7pm. I'm not concerned about my ability to post for this competition, we're going to be entering a cut into other festivals, so I'm not sure if they want me posting it out there before they get a chance to screen it in their festivals. Have to figure out where I'm screening first :) Shamrock and Convergence so far, but don't know what others might have rules about where it's shown.

I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot since I intend to hit other festivals with it.

Scott Nelson June 19th, 2009 01:56 PM

Fun!

I am hoping to be out to Convergence and look around this year. I was in my friends Graphic Novel and I was going to go out and support him and help with his booth if he needs it...

Might see you there!