DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Premiere pro 1.5 / After Effects 6.5 learning curve (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/39316-premiere-pro-1-5-after-effects-6-5-learning-curve.html)

Matt Lomeli February 12th, 2005 02:20 AM

Premiere pro 1.5 / After Effects 6.5 learning curve

I was introduced to this site just last night. Seems to have all types of people with different levels of skills with video editing. As you can see from my profile, my camera is fairly old and thinking of upgrading. Because I was thinking of upgrading, I started to dabble with Adobe products. It seems kinda tough at first (as in not much on the screen until you start a project). Even though it seems tough, I have just heard and read that Premeire pro 1.5 is the best editing around...so why not learn the best? Anyway, what can I do so I'm not discouraged with video editing in general? I have figured out some of the standard basics with the timeline...just some. Does it take a genius to work with Adobe? Sometimes I feel like it (so far anyway). Another question is if I decide to upgrade to a MiniDV camera, without spening a grand (or even $500) on a decent camera, what should I look for as a "must" on a camera? The camera would be more for periodic use (holidays, vacations with my wife...things like that). I'm not looking to make movies....yet. Any advice would be great (on either subject).
Thanks

David Yuen February 12th, 2005 02:29 AM

Re: Premiere pro 1.5 / After Effects 6.5 learning curve

<<<-- Does it take a genius to work with Adobe?-->>>
Not if you watch the free video tutorials over at Wrigley Video and Lynda.com.

Matt Lomeli February 12th, 2005 03:26 AM

David

nice link...I may be up late watching these. thanks

Matt Lomeli February 12th, 2005 04:06 AM

any other advice on camcorders? I do like the link for the learning!

Pete Bauer February 12th, 2005 09:27 AM

Howdy Matt,

A hearty welcome! How's living in SLC these days? I lived there '95-96 and LOVED it but haven't been back for years.

Seems that Adobe and Vegas are the two most popular Windows-based editors around here; lots of people like, and are investing, in Vegas. Others, like me, are invested in Adobe. Oftentimes, whatever people have spent a lot of money on and are currently using, they will defend to the death -- whether or not they've actually tried the competition's software. And NO software is totally bug-free. So I do recommend ignoring those posts that basically say "A" SUX, I use "B" and you're stupid if you don't use it too!

I've used Adobe stuff for several years as an on-again, off-again hobbyist. My opinion is that no, you don't have to be a genius BUT these programs are targeted at serious / pro users. They're deep in capability and far more complicated to use than something you pick off the shelf at Best Buy for $99. So it isn't that you have to be a genius, but to become really proficient with them, you DO have to be the type who is both serious and disciplined enough to devote substantial time and effort. If you know in your heart of hearts that you aren't the type to sit down in front of the computer all day on a rainy Saturday to study the manual, tutorials, DVinfo, and then hack away on a test clip until, dammit, you can really do a good chroma key, or whatever, then save yourself the frustration and hundreds of dollars and take your first steps with one MS Moviemaker or one of the less expensive editors. If you have the drive to do it, you can learn these programs...the basics won't take long at all, yet there'll always be something cool that you haven't quite figured out how to do yet.

If you choose Adobe and the video bug has bitten you hard, prepare your wallet! I didn't take me very long at all before I was happy with nothing less than the full Adobe Video Collection Pro, which at full, non-upgrade price, is about $1500. I really hate to think about that...let's move on! If you like the Adobe interface but PPro and After Effects are overkill, they do have the Photoshop / Premiere Elements bundle for far less. I haven't used those, but understand that they are pretty much pared down versions of the Big Applications for a LOT less money.

Most importantly, both Vegas and Adobe have free 30-day downloadable trials at their sites. Definitely take advantage of those before pulling out your wallet. And of course, just keep on reading DVinfo...you'll never read it all!

Cheers,

Brent Ray February 12th, 2005 01:39 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Matt Lomeli : any other advice on camcorders? I do like the link for the learning! -->>>

If you're just looking for a consumer level camcorder, there aren't a lot of "musts" that aren't on every other camcorder in that group. I'm personally a Canon guy, and always lean towards their models (mostly because the make great optics and I like their designs), but I know that Sony makes great consumer level camcorders. I'm more of an expert in the prosumer camera group, but almost any Sony or Canon will perform very well and is probably worth your money.

Anybody have any other recommendations?

Steven Gotz February 12th, 2005 02:09 PM

I just recently upgraded from my Canon ZR10. It served me well for 4 years, and is now a rewinder for my Sony HDR-FX1.

I can highly recommend the Canon ZR series camcorders for durability and ease of use.

I also recommend the free tutorials, but for only $25 for a month's fee, you can take my tutorials on Lynda.com and get some After Effects and Photoshop training as long as you are at it.

Once you are done with those, you will be able to get much better use out of your investment.

Matt Lomeli February 13th, 2005 12:16 AM

thanks for all the help and info. Working in the movie theater business already...the "video bug" is almost a certainty. This is a great site from what I've seen. Thanks again!

Peter Jefferson February 13th, 2005 05:02 AM

i think that once u understand the structure of the way the Adobe systems work, you wont have an issue creating what u need to create...

Its not Intuitive.. it doesnt pretend to be.. but it IS a powerful system.. coupled with a Matrox system youll just get that much more out of it..

Learnign curve.. well ive used them all.. i honestly prefer another program, however i find Prempro is really one of those apps you either love or hate..

If making an investment, id suggest you are REALLY careful, as you dont want to regret the investment..

Id suggest you downlaod the demo and work ur butt off learning it.. it IS worthwhile..

Matt Lomeli February 13th, 2005 02:59 PM

thanks Peter for the advice. If you could tell me what you prefer and maybe I can check that one out as well before throwing some money on the table.

Steven Gotz February 13th, 2005 06:09 PM

I played with a lot of different software packages before deciding on Premiere, and now Premiere Pro 1.5

The other software you could investigate is Sony Vegas. Lots of people like that software and there is a really good guy running that forum - Douglas Spotted Eagle.

I think you would be happiest with the Adobe Digital Video collection. But try out some of the apps and see what suits you.

For only $25 you can see all of my tutorials at http://www.lynda.com . If it feels right to you, go for it. If Vegas feels better, use that.

To be totally honest, it isn't the software as much as the talent behind it.

Matt Lomeli February 14th, 2005 12:58 AM

Steven, a couple of things....
My creativity sometimes is bigger than what is possible (case of eyes being bigger than my stomach). But, on the other hand, I heard pretty much anything is possible with 1.5. As a second response to one of your post. I was at Best Buy and found an upgrade that had features I was hoping to find at a decent price. I just happen to find a Canon ZR100 (at clearance price!). I love canon, as I also have a Canon Rebel K2 SLR 35mm camera. I really like the quality of the optics Canon provides. It's just kinda funny you mentioned the ZR100....weird how things like that happen. Fun camera so far. I put it next to my Sony Digital8 Handycam, and the size difference is amazing. It's crazy to think how something so small is so much better than the Digital8. And the Canon is even an older model....WOW!

ml

Steven Gotz February 14th, 2005 09:30 AM

I carried the Canon around in a pouch on my waist throughout Italy and all over Hawaii. Now I am going to have to work out for months just to get the strength to carry my Sony HDR-FX1 up the many steps around Greece this summer.

The smaller camcorders have their place.

I believe that Premiere Pro 1.5 will allow you to express your creativity - along with the rest of the Adobe Digital Video Collection. And once you get used to it, you won't regret it.

But I am certain that Vegas users feel the same way about their software. As many Edius users must.

Pete Bauer February 14th, 2005 10:56 AM

Hey Matt, are you referring to the ZR10 (about a 5 or 6 year old model) or ZR100? The 100, along with the 200 and 300, is a brand new upgrade to the ZR model line, which I'm interested in getting real-world feedback on:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=38930

Cheers,

Matt Lomeli February 14th, 2005 09:03 PM

Pete,
I am talking about the ZR100. Like I said earlier, I am kinda new to the DV format. You know how some, when refering to a "100" model drop a zero, and call it ten? That's what I thought was happening in previous replys. I didn't realize this "100" is an upgrade to the previous ZR's (I don't know how long ZR's have been out). I have been pretty busy with work, skiing and transfering Digital8 tapes to DVD to play with the new toy. So, I don't have personal feedback quite yet for ya...but, am very anxious to find out!