DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Premiere CS4 and Windows 7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/465245-premiere-cs4-windows-7-a.html)

Duane Steiner October 7th, 2009 09:02 AM

Premiere CS4 and Windows 7

Anyone running them together yet?

Graham Hickling October 7th, 2009 09:32 AM

Duplicate post - deleted

Graham Hickling October 7th, 2009 09:34 AM

I've been running CS4.10 on 64-bit Win7RC for a few weeks, with Cineform ProspectHD, on a i7 processor at 12GB RAM.

I hadn't really wanted to move away from CS3, given all the bad press regarding CS4, but Cineform isnt running for me (yet) on Win7 under CS3. As it turns out, I've really had no problems at all so far - I think the trick with CS4 is to use a 64-bit OS and have lots of RAM!

Paul Digges October 9th, 2009 07:53 PM

I'd be curious to know more about this as well. I'm looking to jump up to windows 7 for the (finally) reliable 64 bit, and wondering if I should pick up CS4 as well.

Marty Baggen October 9th, 2009 08:01 PM

I'm running CS4 on Win7 (RC build 7100) 64-bit (only 4gb RAM).

Aside from my dislike of CS4/Premiere (forced integration for all output via Media Encoder for one, lack of support for Cineform, glacial-speed renders, erratic caching behavior), the system is rock solid, and credit where it's due.... CS4 seems to have resolved the dreaded memory leakage of its predecessor. True, I am running 64-bit, but I doubt that having only 4gb of RAM has resolved the memory issue by itself.

Overall... my advice, stay with CS3 as long as possible. Which means a delay in moving to Win7 as I believe the Win7/CS3 combo does not work. I could be wrong. I've been through so many setups in the past three months, it's hard to keep them straight.

Graham Hickling October 9th, 2009 08:59 PM

Win7 + CS3 + Cineform works on one of my machines and but I get red-upsidedown timeline playback of CFHD files on the other (everything else works OK). The one machine that works has on-board ATI graphics, the one that doesn't has an Nvidia PCI-E card.

Cineform have said they won't get their programs running on CS3 under Win7 until after CS4 on Win7 is dealt with - which is REALLY frustrating because I suspect the CS3 fix is something relatively straightforward, compared with much bigger issues with CS4 (no realtime engine yet, no trimmed project capability with CFHD files, and so on ...).

Matt Vanecek October 11th, 2009 10:12 PM

Been using CS4 on Win 7 64 since the Win 7 RC was released. Runs stable, no issues with CS4 itself, nor with its interaction with Windows 7. CS4 + Cineform is a different issue, but CS4 + Cineform issues aren't really dependent on Windows--they're dependent on the battle between Cineform and Adobe's reportedly ever-changing plug-in interface.

Thanks,
Matt

David Beisner October 12th, 2009 01:36 PM

So Graham and Matt, I take it that Cineform and CS4 do not yet play well together? I'm getting a brand new BOXX workstation at the end of the month with Win7 on it and I'll be upgrading from CS3 to CS4 and had planned to upgrade from AspectHD to ProspectHD at the same time. Should I wait on purchasing the upgrade to ProspectHD, or go ahead and do it and just download the fixes as they become available? Cineform is not a major part of my workflow yet, but I had planned on using it more extensively in the future... All that to say, it won't kill me if I don't have it right off the bat.

Graham Hickling October 12th, 2009 08:02 PM

David, I have an XP64 + CS3 + ProspectHD system running on a Q6600 processor with 4GB RAM, and a Win7 + CS4 + ProspectHD system running on a i7-920 processor with 12GB RAM.

On balance I prefer the CS4 system - the extra hardware grunt makes up for the current lack of realtime Cineform engine.

BUt .... if you have big projects based on Cineform clips, and a need to make trimmed versions of those projects for archiving purposes, then be aware that the CS4 system cannot do that presently.

Mikael Bergstrom October 13th, 2009 06:56 AM

This film was made on Premiere CS4 4.1 with Cineform Prospect HD 4.1 (beta without the realtime engine). I had no problem of render some files with this setup:-)

Motherboard: P6T Deluxe V2
Processor: i7 920
Ram: Corsair 12GB
Graphic card: ATI Radeon 5870
AJA XENA LHi
Raid: Adaptec 3085 with 8 x 320GB Seagate in a raid 5
C drive: Intel SSD G2 80Gb
Procoder 3