DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Project Manager quits (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/472464-project-manager-quits.html)

Rob Lagerstrom February 8th, 2010 08:06 AM

Project Manager quits

I am trying to backup my project onto an external HD. It seems that the Project Manager is the ideal way to keep "it all together".
Using PP CS4
I only have 1 time line
Original footage is 1080 30p and still photo .JPG 's

- Collect files and copy to new location
-exclude unused clips
-Do NOT include previews
- include audio conforms
-rename media to clip names

I start the process and stops about 2/3 the way through of "copying Media" with the warning screen" Importer Processerver.exe has stopped working."

When I hit cancel it locks up the whole project.

Any help appreciated. Is there another way to transfer an entire project including the PPV file for archiving/backup or transfer to another computer?

Adam Gold February 8th, 2010 01:23 PM

This probably isn't it, but sometimes when Premiere has unexplained lockups and crashes it's because it's forgotten an association of some kind. Next time you start Premiere, hold down the SHIFT key until it asks you what project you want to open. Sometimes this works to slap it upside the head.

Rob Lagerstrom February 8th, 2010 01:48 PM

Project Manager locks up - reply

I don't have a problem opening a project. I have a problem when I go to
project>project manager
and try to collect all the assets of a project to new drive (for back up). Project manager analyzes the project then attempts to copy all the assets. It is then that it gets about 2/3rd's the way through and locks up.

But, I do appreciate your trick for getting Premiere to ask for a project to open by holding down the shift key. I have not had that problem yet, but I am sure I will.

I would love to hear from someone who has had some success using Project Manager as a archive, back up, or transfer to another computer tool.

Adam Gold February 8th, 2010 01:57 PM

No, I get that it's not about having a problem opening a project. I understand the problem you describe and this sometimes fixes similar issues of crashing during editing or exporting or importing. Holding down the SHIFT key doesn't get it to ask for the project, it simply re-registers all the plugins and importers and exporters and other associations. You wait until it asks you for the project because that's how you know it's done registering.

I use PM all the time and it works fine.

Gregory Gesch February 8th, 2010 04:32 PM

Hi Rob. Don't know what I'm talking about but (if I had room) I'd create the file on my Hard Drive and then cut/paste that file to the External drive. At least then I would know if it's a problem with the program or the external drive speed. Well, it's a thought.

Rob Lagerstrom February 9th, 2010 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 1483311)
No, I get that it's not about having a problem opening a project. I understand the problem you describe and this sometimes fixes similar issues of crashing during editing or exporting or importing. Holding down the SHIFT key doesn't get it to ask for the project, it simply re-registers all the plugins and importers and exporters and other associations. You wait until it asks you for the project because that's how you know it's done registering.

I use PM all the time and it works fine.

Adam:
Thank you for the clarification. I guess I did not read your OP correctly. I will try it.
Rob

Rob Lagerstrom February 9th, 2010 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregory Gesch (Post 1483398)
Hi Rob. Don't know what I'm talking about but (if I had room) I'd create the file on my Hard Drive and then cut/paste that file to the External drive. At least then I would know if it's a problem with the program or the external drive speed. Well, it's a thought.

Gregory:
Good idea. I see that PM has created a folder on the ext. drive, but nothing is in it.
The external drive is an e-sata 1tb. I have been able to use it for video editing so I am thinking the speed is not the issue. It may have something to do with the 4 gig single file limit size on NSTF formating. I am guessing. I really don't know. I don't see any single file in the original folder(s) that is over 4-gig.

Adam Gold February 9th, 2010 12:24 PM

The 4 gig limit is with FAT32. There's no limit with NTFS (not NSTF)(up to the 2TB volume size).

NTFS.com NTFS vs FAT32 FAT64 exFAT FAT. Comparing. Performance.

Mitchell Skurnik February 9th, 2010 02:51 PM

Sometimes Premiere can take its time in doing the collect process.

I no longer use this process. I keep all the files I need in a single folder for that project. My structure looks something like this:
Project Name
_Premiere Project file.pproj
_Premiere Folders that are auto created
_Renders (All my exported video from my timelines)
_Resources
__Footage (My videos)
__Pictures
__Misc
__Scripts

If you follow this format you can easily take that project with you from computer to computer. If you place it on a different drive (lets say E:\) just open the pproj file in notepad++ and replace the "C:\" with "E:\"

Rob Lagerstrom February 10th, 2010 07:41 AM

Human Ignorance

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 1483805)
The 4 gig limit is with FAT32. There's no limit with NTFS (not NSTF)(up to the 2TB volume size).

NTFS.com NTFS vs FAT32 FAT64 exFAT FAT. Comparing. Performance.

I knew I should not have ventured out of my knowledge zone. Thanks for correcting me.

Rob Lagerstrom February 10th, 2010 07:48 AM

Project Manager collect process

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell Skurnik (Post 1483888)
Sometimes Premiere can take its time in doing the collect process.

I no longer use this process. I keep all the files I need in a single folder for that project. My structure looks something like this:
Project Name
_Premiere Project file.pproj
_Premiere Folders that are auto created
_Renders (All my exported video from my timelines)
_Resources
__Footage (My videos)
__Pictures
__Misc
__Scripts

If you follow this format you can easily take that project with you from computer to computer. If you place it on a different drive (lets say E:\) just open the pproj file in notepad++ and replace the "C:\" with "E:\"

Thanks for the great info. I have copied your message to a document and will try this for the next project. Maybe a dumb question, but to you create this master folder before you start a job and direct PP to use them during the project. Or, do you collect the files after the project is finished and arrange them into the appropriate folder. I am under the belief that during a project I should keep my source and renders on different drives.
Just for clarification of my problem with PM, the collectionprocess executes fine, it is during the copying process that the PM locks up.
Thanks, Rob

Harm Millaard February 10th, 2010 09:13 AM

Rob,

The link Adam gave you is slightly outdated in the sense that 2 TB is no longer the limit of NTFS, it is the limitation of the addressing mode used. I have tried to help Adam to solve his problems with this barrier, since he has a large array that far surpasses the 2 TB limit, and so do I. I have a 10 TB array using NTFS without any problem and consider expanding that a bit. Just for information.

Adam Gold February 10th, 2010 12:12 PM

I had a feeling this was the case, as we've discussed much larger arrays in the past and we both use them. Appreciate the clarification.

Rob--

I now do something similar to what Mitch does, as we've found that Project Manager isn't really that useful for our multicam stuff, where you essentially need 100% of what you've captured, so don't save any disk space when using the "delete unused" function of Project Manager when archiving.

So we just set up a master folder for each project and direct all the scratch disks to the same place. We have a very large RAID3 array so speed isn't an issue. Everything goes into this folder including assets, final renders, .iso's, etc. When it's time to archive, we can just drag the entire folder to our backup disk. But this process won't delete unused material for normal projects.

Mitchell Skurnik February 10th, 2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Lagerstrom (Post 1484168)
Thanks for the great info. I have copied your message to a document and will try this for the next project. Maybe a dumb question, but to you create this master folder before you start a job and direct PP to use them during the project. Or, do you collect the files after the project is finished and arrange them into the appropriate folder. I am under the belief that during a project I should keep my source and renders on different drives.
Just for clarification of my problem with PM, the collectionprocess executes fine, it is during the copying process that the PM locks up.
Thanks, Rob

I do this before I start my project. That way I don't really have to do anything once the project is complete other than archive my entire project folder.

Mitchell Skurnik February 10th, 2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 1484269)
I had a feeling this was the case, as we've discussed much larger arrays in the past and we both use them. Appreciate the clarification.

Rob--

I now do something similar to what Mitch does, as we've found that Project Manager isn't really that useful for our multicam stuff, where you essentially need 100% of what you've captured, so don't save any disk space when using the "delete unused" function of Project Manager when archiving.

So we just set up a master folder for each project and direct all the scratch disks to the same place. We have a very large RAID3 array so speed isn't an issue. Everything goes into this folder including assets, final renders, .iso's, etc. When it's time to archive, we can just drag the entire folder to our backup disk. But this process won't delete unused material for normal projects.

I also use a RAID for my work (RAID 0). I keep everthing in the same project folder.

I find it easier to keep organized while the project is going and at the end remove any extra few files that I might have.