DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   What a weird problem! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/474041-what-weird-problem.html)

Rob Birks March 3rd, 2010 09:31 AM

What a weird problem!

Hi all,

I've read the web pages offering info on the following error message in Adobe Premiere Pro (CS3):

[...\...\Scr\Audio\AsioHost.cpp-709]

However, the error is only appearing for one of my pupils. It always occurs on any computer he uses, but the other 40 pupils using Premiere Pro on the same machines have had no trouble, so I'm not sure if re-installing hardware audio devices will help.

What's really weird about this is that the error message is generally attributed to crossfades on disabled audio tracks in the timeline (ref: Error:AsioHost.cpp-709 - Adobe Premiere Pro) and removing the crossfades has been known to solve the problem. But my student has only just captured his footage and inserted it onto the timeline without adding any transitions or disabling audio or anything - he's not actually started editing apart from the first four shots of a basic assemble edit!

Any suggestions from you pros? Could it be the footage? I was thinking about trying to capture just his video (i.e. no audio) tomorrow and see what happens..

Thanks in advance :)

Trond Saetre March 3rd, 2010 11:30 AM

Is it possible for any of the other students to open his Premiere projects without getting this error?
Can this student open any of the others' projects without getting the error?

Seems like the problem might be somehow related to this student's user account, since it happens on all the computers he use.
Is it possible for this student to use his own computer without getting the error message?

Rob Birks March 3rd, 2010 11:42 AM

Hi Trond,

Thanks, that makes sense.

Each student has their own password-protected space on the server, so they wouldn't be able to open each other's projects. But I'll try opening it from my master log in and I'll also get one of the technicians to have a look at the properties of his space - is there anything in particular they could look for, do you know?

Trond Saetre March 3rd, 2010 11:54 AM

Never experienced this problem myself, so I don't know any details.
But I would check how Premiere is installed/accessible on this student's account, compared to any other students. Might have happend something there.

Marty Welk March 3rd, 2010 11:57 AM

i donno, but because its the same hardware others use, and it follows him like a puppy :-).
peel the audio itself off with a audio editor like goldwave (free to use for a while at a time), see if there is anything hugely different , and check the capture rate, and bit rate and stuff.

what gets STORED, if he keeps getting a repeatable error everyime he opens up a project, there are preferance settings that are stored, does his user always have the same Preferance configuration file comming up? this old crusty version of premiere i use here when it would have one of these rotten work stopping errors that others had, the OLD repair was to delete the preferance file, as that stuff gets stored and keeps comming up everytime you run the program, so with Stored changes, you could say it never goes back to Defaults. so we would delete that file and lose all stored program changes :-(
eventually we learned to configure the program, then backup the configuration, should it happen again.

Rob Birks March 3rd, 2010 12:03 PM

haha, yes it does follow him like a puppy!

Thank you both for your help. This is becoming something of a personal quest, and I'm damned if this weird bug is going to beat us!

I'll have a crack at it tomorrow and let you know how it goes!

Thanks again!

Battle Vaughan March 3rd, 2010 06:40 PM

ASIO refers to asio audio drivers, I suggest either he has a corrupted driver or has hooked up some ASIO device in the past that is still selected in the control panel as the audio device and PPRo can't find it...might go to the audio control panel and have a look at the devices there, also "my computer:" / properties / device manager and see if there is an ASIO device listed, probably with a yellow trouble triangle next to it.../Battle Vaughan

Rob Birks March 5th, 2010 04:57 AM

Hi all,

Thank you everyone for your help with this.

The pupil's user profile was reset and the problem persisted, but as it's only him having this Premiere Pro problem on any computer but none of the other 39 pupils using the same machines, this seems very strange still!

Thanks Battle Vaughan, but no joy there. Not too surprised though as other pupils have had no difficulty with any of these computers, it's just this one pupil. So all the machines work fine for anyone else logged in on the server and using Premiere Pro.

Anyway - as the pupil is working in a group this term I have asked them to edit on another group member's user profile on the server, and, for now at least, this problem will remain a mystery!

Marty Welk March 5th, 2010 04:31 PM

does resetting his user , reset the preferances in the editing program?
in other words did you wipe his user clean, and remake it? and does resetting the user get rid of the stored editing program preferances FOR that user?

what i am suggesting is NOT to reset or wipe the user, but reset or wipe the users Adobee (or whatever) user preferances data, which is also stored on the computer, and probably didnt budge.

Rob Birks March 14th, 2010 05:00 PM

Hi everyone, thank you for your help :)

Marty you were spot on, it wasn't re-setting what needed to be re-setted!