DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   H.264 Presets for Blu-ray in Encore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/475132-h-264-presets-blu-ray-encore.html)

Alan Craven March 19th, 2010 08:45 AM

H.264 Presets for Blu-ray in Encore

All the H.264 Blu-ray presets in Adobe Media Encoder have "Profile" set as "High", but in the printed manual for Encore on page 48 at the top there is a warning in italics:

"Note: for Blu-ray projects, the encoding profile must be Main when you select H.264 as the encoding format. You cannot burn a Blu-ray disc when the encoding profile is set to High."

Can anyone say which of the two is correct, please?

Peter Manojlovic March 19th, 2010 10:17 AM

Are you going by the correct format? Isn't there more than one option for .H264 output?

Alan Craven March 19th, 2010 10:35 AM

As I say, all the H.264 presets are the same - I only want to use PAL 1920x1080i and 1440x1080i. I have looked at some of the NTSC presets, and they are the same. Obviously you can alter the setting manually from High to Main, but my question is should you?

Who is correct, the author of the manual or the author of the preset???

Alan Craven March 19th, 2010 11:31 AM

Just to be absolutely clear on this, I have scrolled down the list, and ALL the HD presets in Adobe Media Encoder, whether PAL or NTSC; 1920, 1440, or 720; interlaced or progressive, have the Profile set as High.

Only the four high quality DV presets at the bottom of the list have Profile set as Main.

This makes me wonder if it is not the Encore Manual which is wrong, and the warning applies only to DV on Blu-ray discs?

Alan Craven March 19th, 2010 11:52 AM

A little research suggests that the suggestion at the end of my last post may well be the correct interpretation:

H.264/MPEG-4 AVC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interestingly a search of the Adobe on-line help throws up a blank for this, and the equivalent page to my CS4 manual in the on-line help is taken from the CS3 help files and does not include much of the material on presets in the CS4 printed manual.

Alan Craven March 24th, 2010 12:59 AM

After a struggle with Adobe support, I got beyond them telling me how to start a project in Encore! My query was escalated to someone who could give a sensible answer. The pdf referred to in the first paragraph is an updated version of the printed manual for Encore CS4.

"I would like to tell you that the first query related to the presets,
the PDF that i sent to you is the updated information and i have checked
the presets on my end, the information provided in the PDF is correct.

The encoding profile must be main instead of High for H.264 preset.

The second query related to chapter Playlist and Blu Ray compatibility,
I would like to tell you that the Blu ray technology is a new feature
and is not compatible with the Software and that is the reason we are
not able to get the compatibility between the two. This feature is
available in our new release of CS5."

The Blu-ray H.264 presets in both Adobe Media Encoder and Encore CS4 have Encoding Profile set at High. The manual states that it MUST be set at Main. The manual is correct. Beware of this.

The third paragraph relates to a second query I made. Chapter Playlists do not work with Encore CS4 Blu-ray projects