DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   CS5 Release Date?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/477838-cs5-release-date.html)

Robert Young April 29th, 2010 01:16 PM

CS5 Release Date??

On my pre-order page on the Adobe site it says that preordered CS5 will be available today, 4/29, but elsewhere I'm seeing "mid May" as the release date. Anyone know the gospel truth?
Thanks

Harm Millaard April 29th, 2010 02:37 PM

On the 26-th the Adobe shop mailed me that my order would be delivered in the next 3 - 7 days. I haven't received it today, which would be day 3, so it may take a couple of days more.

I'll let you know when I receive it and in the meantime continue with the latest beta.

Robert Young April 29th, 2010 07:17 PM

Thanks Harm.
It's kind of wierd- my preorder has been in for several weeks, and on Adobe "my account"> "orders" it shows as "available 4/29", but there is definitely nothing happening.
I guess it'll ship whenever they ship it.

Jeff Anselmo April 29th, 2010 07:17 PM

Hi Robert,

Just to add to your anxiety, but on my pre-order product history order page it does indeed say mid-May:

"Your order will be sent with normal shipping once your CS5 product is available for shipping which should be mid-May."

Best,

Ben Moore April 29th, 2010 10:39 PM

Premiere Pro on Facebook says its available now...... East Coast 12am was the post .....April 30th is the release date.

Pete Bauer April 29th, 2010 11:30 PM

Can't get my download to work yet, but I got the email just before midnight (Central Time) and it does take me to my order number when I log in with my Adobe ID.

EDIT: After dorking around for an hour and a half, the best I can do is get "You have no downloads" in the download queue. Of course, no Adobe support at this hour. Giving up and will try again tomorrow.

David Dwyer April 30th, 2010 01:40 AM

downloading now!!!!!!

CS5 Production suite trial

Brant Gajda April 30th, 2010 06:19 AM

Downloading the upgrade now. Exciting that I may actually be able to handle HD video now. haha

Jiri Fiala April 30th, 2010 08:03 AM

In typical Adobe fashion, trial won´t let you try HDSLR, HDV or basically anything above DV, because the presets are disabled. Way to go, Adobe.

David Dwyer April 30th, 2010 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiri Fiala (Post 1521513)
In typical Adobe fashion, trial won´t let you try HDSLR, HDV or basically anything above DV, because the presets are disabled. Way to go, Adobe.

Really? Can't you create your own?

Jiri Fiala April 30th, 2010 08:30 AM

No, you can´t. Premiere won´t let you set editing mode. It´s limited to DV and DVCPRO. Also, it crashed way too many times for me to even reconsider going back from FCP.

Bo Skelmose April 30th, 2010 08:36 AM

I can create some Black magic HD seq. But it cannot import EX files.. It just imports the sound... Now I am not in a hurry to upgrade anyway.

Marty Baggen April 30th, 2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiri Fiala (Post 1521525)
Also, it crashed way too many times for me to even reconsider going back from FCP.

The new 64-bit CS5 demo crashed on you??

Pete Bauer April 30th, 2010 09:06 AM

My downloads (plural) were available this AM so got 'em started before heading off to work. With luck, will have a full install by this evening to start playing with.

Let's knock off the BS diatribes about the trial versions. Limited features in trials are NOTHING NEW and are due to licensing limitations in some cases, and in other cases perhaps it is a matter of the company not wanting to give away too much in a trial of expensive software -- its their software and their prerogative! Whining won't change anything.

The trials are MUCH more than "just a splash screen" and contain more than enough for most people to decide if they like the software or not -- and if they do buy it and find it doesn't satisfy them, they have 30 days to get a refund. You can gripe about that policy (hopefully elsewhere on the internet, not on DVinfo) but it is an old, tired, and pointless complaint. It is basically a no-risk setup.

And kudos to Adobe for having trials up for CS5 on DAY ONE.

Whether trial or full version, though, let's do hear about legit problems and bugs after you've done your own troubleshooting -- it won't help the rest of us if, for instance you goofed the download or install, your system doesn't meet specs, or you've got a hardware problem like a bad stick of RAM. And when you do think you have a real software problem, also remember to let ADOBE know through their bug reporting system or customer support!

Marty Baggen April 30th, 2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Bauer (Post 1521541)
Let's knock off the BS diatribes about the trial versions. Whining won't change anything.

Someone saying that their demo is crashing is neither BS nor a diatribe.... and "whining" CAN sometiems change things.

I think the Adobe customers on this board have earned a little latitude to vent considering the monies invested in Adobe and the countless difficulties subsequently encountered.

Anyone who is burdening you with their "BS" will be the same people back on this board chipping in with praise, suggestions, and vital information. Given Adobe's customer support format and methods, this board represents one of the only tangible avenues for voicing frustrations and concerns.

Chris Hurd April 30th, 2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Baggen (Post 1521554)
Someone saying that their demo is crashing is neither BS nor a diatribe....

Saying it's "essentially a 7gb download of their new splash screen" is, however.

Can we please cut out the snark? Thanks in advance,

David Dwyer April 30th, 2010 11:57 AM

How come the production suite download is 7GB and the Master suite is 4GB?

Pete Bauer April 30th, 2010 12:19 PM

Now that we are past the snark and diatribe, let's have some useful discussion...

The downloads are in multiple files, so I think that's where some of the confusion arises. If you include the whole Master Collection with all templates, demos, CS4 installer for 32 bit, etc, I think the total is somewhere around 10-12GB. It is just the Master Collection core file by itself that is around 4.4GB, I think. Not at the computer I did the download, so not sure of the exact file sizes.

It appears that my downloads are complete and went ok, but I won't have the opportunity to install until at least this evening.

PS: I wasn't previously aware that Adobe were doing something to allow 32-bit use of PPro and AE in CS5...anyone had a closer look at the CS4 installer situation yet?

Mike Harvey April 30th, 2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiri Fiala (Post 1521513)

Most of those presets/formats (like AVCHD) would have required they pay for a license. It makes no sense to pay for a license to edit in a *free* trial program. CS3 and 4 were the same way. And Adobe has been pretty open about that fact.

Bo Skelmose April 30th, 2010 12:42 PM

Hi

I think the Fast colour corrector seems to work quite as good and fast as my Matrox colour corrector, that is a plugin when you use matrox editing cards - Ok it needs rendering until further but you can see what you do without any delay.

The import of EX files seems not to work. but DVCPro HD files import work. It is difficult to know what is left out in the tryout and what just do not work. I have had stops in playback because of "dropped frames detected" and a few crashes with DV files captured in CS4. All in all I think it is great - that this looks and works like CS4. Hope that I do not have to care about project size anymore. Next longer project I will try to import my HD files instead of converting them to SD before editing. What I still miss is the bottom "mute while recording" on the recording track in the mixer.

Bo

Jeff Anselmo April 30th, 2010 03:02 PM

To Robert Young, the original poster,

I received this email from Adobe this morning (which you probably received as well):

"Adobe Creative Suite 5 software is now shipping!

Dear Jeff Anselmo:

Thank you for ordering AdobeŽ Creative SuiteŽ 5 software. Your order is being processed, and your software will be sent to you in a few days. Once your product is on the way, you will receive a "ship" confirmation e-mail that contains your tracking ID.

In the meantime, you don't have to wait to experience CS5. You may download a free trial version of your software at Adobe - Downloads.

Thank you again for your CS5 purchase. We appreciate your business.

The Adobe Store"

I know most of you want to download CS5 asap, but I actually need to wait at least a couple of months to upgrade my i7 system to Windows 7 (and the memory, and the hard drives, etc. etc. :) So I hope early users can sort out any "bugs" or install problems til then.

Best,

Jarred Capellman April 30th, 2010 03:49 PM

I hadn't even gotten that email yet and I pre-ordered on the 14th.

David Dwyer April 30th, 2010 04:05 PM

Has anyone upgraded CS4 to CS5? Any problems with plugins? Cineform/Magic Bullet/ etc?

Harm Millaard April 30th, 2010 05:47 PM

The transition to 64 bit makes nearly all plug-ins unusable. They have to come out with 64 bit versions for them to work. RedGiant has Colorista and Trapcode ready, MB Looks is in the pipeline and expected this summer. On other plug-ins I have no dates when they will appear, but several others have plug-ins in beta that should not take too long to appear.

David Dwyer April 30th, 2010 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harm Millaard (Post 1521742)
The transition to 64 bit makes nearly all plug-ins unusable. They have to come out with 64 bit versions for them to work. RedGiant has Colorista and Trapcode ready, MB Looks is in the pipeline and expected this summer. On other plug-ins I have no dates when they will appear, but several others have plug-ins in beta that should not take too long to appear.

Yeah I guess so Red Giant Software: Featured - Adobe CS5 Updates and Upgrades

Summer seems ages away but I guess its 2 months or so?

Randy Johnson April 30th, 2010 08:01 PM

The demo is really disapointing. The whole reason I downloaded it was to check AVCHD performance but the demo doesnt come with the AVCHD CODEC.

Harm Millaard May 1st, 2010 02:57 AM

It is clearly stated on the website, that the trial does not include anything MPEG related:

*Adobe Encore CS5 is not available as a trial. Encore CS5 will be installed as part of the trial for Creative Suite 5 Production Premium and Master Collection but will not be available for use until you purchase. The trial versions of After Effects CS5, Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, and Soundbooth CS5 do not include some features that depend on software licensed from parties other than Adobe. For example, some codecs for encoding MPEG formats are available only with the full version of these products.

They have this info on the download page instead of in the FAQ section as was the case with CS4, so that is an improvement, but I agree it would be better if the trial had MPEG support, even if it contained watermarks all over.

Floris van Eck May 1st, 2010 05:50 AM

But still, how can you test performance (biggest problem of Adobe Premiere) when you can't edit HDV/AVCHD? I am not buying until I have put it through the test with HDV/AVCHD footage.

Harm Millaard May 1st, 2010 06:01 AM

Adobe has a 30 day refund policy.

Pete Bauer May 1st, 2010 06:31 AM

Thanks for patiently answering questions that have already been answered, Harm. C'mon folks, we're trying to keep the signal to noise ratio high...at least read a thread first before posting in it! We also have two ways to search dvinfo: the SEARCH link at the top and the Google search at the bottom of the page.

Jiri Fiala May 1st, 2010 08:59 AM

That H.264 (Canon DSLRs) is absent from trials because of licensing may be bogus - Adobe Media Encoder CS5 trial encodes H.264 and MPEG-4 happily.

Marty Baggen May 1st, 2010 11:18 AM

Knowing full well that the odds were minimal, I was hoping that there was some off chance that XDCam footage would function with the trial, as the ambiguous disclaimer about MPEG codecs neither ruled it in or out for certain. Unfortunately, no dice.

With the 30 day money-back assurance, many should save themselves the time and hassle of the trial and simply install a retail purchase. If you do opt for the trial version, entry of your serial number will supposedly activate the absent codecs... so I suppose having the trial installed would allow a leg-up on installation, not to mention the ability to do whatever checking of the other non-hindered functions of the suite.

I trust these comments are deemed constructive.... and BTW, the splash screens ARE very cool.

Greg Gerber May 1st, 2010 11:35 AM

Pre-ordered download 16 April.

Applied tweaks for Vista from Videoguys.

Updated motherboard drivers, installed gtx285 installed latest video driver from nVidia.

Removed CS4 completely.

Installed CS5 Friday.

I have been running CS4 on Vista 64 Home Premium w/ quad core 8GB RAM.

Installed CS5. Went to general settings CS5 had already activated GPU acceleration. Went to set my media cache folder CS5 had already found it on my E: drive! Very impressed.

Editing Canon XHA1 .m2t clips dynamic linked to Encore. Made many changes between the two with no problem.

CS4 generally used about 4.5 GB RAM to transcode. CS5 is using 6.1 GB RAM.

David Dwyer May 1st, 2010 11:43 AM

Greg can you run some tests with MPE turned on and off to compare render times and export times? I'm looking for a second hand GTX 285 at the moment.

Greg Gerber May 1st, 2010 03:18 PM

CS5 Export 11:02:02 .m2t ProcAmp & RGB Curves on 7:21:07 of clip exported Flash Med

GPU Export

2:23:00 CPU 89-100%

Software Export

6:54:00 CPU 100%

David Dwyer May 1st, 2010 03:23 PM

Wow thats a hell of a difference!

Thought without plugins in CS5 still a useable option? I use magic bullet a lot and without some of these effects I can't see CS5 being an option.

Also Greg what PSU are you using in terms of watts? GTX 285 says a min of 550w

Greg Gerber May 1st, 2010 03:45 PM

650 Watts PSU 4 harddrives 8 Fans 1 Blu-ray Burner

Biggest difference sitting in front of the computer editing.

Paul Matwiy May 1st, 2010 04:26 PM

CS5 Mercury

Impressive. Anyone know when the GTX480 will be officially added to the CS5 approved list? We're building a dual proc, 12 core system to test the platform.

David Dwyer May 1st, 2010 04:44 PM

Paul all we know for the gtx 480 is q3