DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   How to make Premiere CS5 work with GTX 295 and possibly all 200 GPUs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/477968-how-make-premiere-cs5-work-gtx-295-possibly-all-200-gpus.html)

Ben Pierce December 3rd, 2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Gerard (Post 1594373)
Hi all,
I just installed another 16GB 4 x 4GB chips to my already installed 4 x1GB chips. Windows reports 20GB AND 16GB useable. Does that sound about right? Maybe the 4GB is taken up by the graphics card interfacing with the on board RAM?

Thanks,

John Gerard

I believe Windows 7 Home Premium only recognizes 16GB of RAM. To utilize more than that, you'll have to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate.

Check the chart on this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

Kyle Root December 12th, 2010 02:34 PM

Works with a GeForce GT230

I just did the hack on my HP Desktop running CS 5. I'm editing a performance of The Nutcrakcer from last night and have done some color correction using the fast color corrector.

My red timeline went from red to yellow.

Cool. Thanks for the tip and figuring it out!

Prech Marton December 20th, 2010 12:42 PM

Hi,

i want to replace my old 7600GT card :)
I looked for a cheap, passive, lowprofile card, and found the GT210 a good choice for
mainly HTPC usage. But if it supports CUDA, maybe i can try this hack and test CS5 for
video editing? I edit mainly HDV files, but sometimes i work with fullhd avchd files, that really
slows down in Vegas. So if this card can accelerate a little vie MPE on Premiere, maybe
i change my video editing app. I need only smooth playback of those AVCHD files, with a simple
crossfade. Can this card help for this?

Yes, I know
- it's a very cheap card
- it has 64bit memory bandwith
- it has few CUDA cores (but still has some!)
and it have 1GB memory that is required!

So why not work? Or work, just i will get 5% performance increase?

Marry Christmas for everyone!

David Knarr December 20th, 2010 01:26 PM

If you want a passive cooled video card, you should get a GT220 that is passive cooled. It will give you 48 CUDA cores and 128 bit memory bandwidth.

Zotac makes one and it sells for around $69.00 US.

Dave

Steve Oakley December 20th, 2010 02:44 PM

AVChd is decoded on the CPU, not the GPU, as is all h264 media.

CUDA probably won't do you much good if your CPU isn't up to par outside, of reducing CPU usage for FX provided you use only CUDA FX. if you are having problems playing AVChd w/o FX, you need a faster CPU to start with.

Prech Marton December 20th, 2010 02:50 PM

Ok, thanks.
I have a dualcore cpu oc to 3.3GHz.
A simple playback is smooth even in vegas, just when i do a simple crossfade
the problem starts :) So i hope in this case even the 16 cuda cores will help.

Thomas B. Smith December 24th, 2010 04:46 PM

NVidia GT 330M GPU enabled in Premiere Pro CS5 on Sony Laptop!

I was encouraged by Martin Guitar's original post to get my Sony Vaio laptop
< VPC-F11JFX, Win7 Home, 64 bit which has an nVidia GT 330M video card>
to use the GPU in Premiere Pro CS5.

I ran GPU sniffer in a CMD window by dragging the .exe file from the Premiere Pro program file into the window. I did this after having the near instantaneous flash of the results of the sniffer disappear on the screen, after merely double clicking on the GPU sniffer.exe. So now I had the readout and my "problem" was CUDA driver too old. Hmm. Went to the Sony update site and made sure I was up to date, I was. Went to NVidia's site and after entering my model etc. found this note: "Sony has joined the Verde program by supporting the following VAIO notebooks: Sony F Series with NVIDIA GeForce 310M and Sony F Series with NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M. Other Sony VAIO notebooks are not supported at this time (please contact Sony for driver support)."

When I first read Martin's post, not only did I find my CUDA drivers too old, I found that nVidia specifically did not want you to use their driver in my Sony (& other Sony models) notebook. I was pleased to see both 32 & 64 bit drivers available now.

I installed the new 64 bit driver from nVidia. I ran GPU sniffer again and this time I got the result I was looking for, that the card was not in the supported list.

I changed permissions on the "supported cards" file to allow me to edit it. Initially, I found myself unable to change the text file, as others in this thread have also found.
I added my card to the supported cards text file and saved it. Then held my breath as I started Premiere Pro CS5 and looked to see if I could now enable GPU use.

BAM, I now had the choice to enable, & I did. Tonight I will wring the thing out & get back here to report on stability, speed increase, the vaunted yellow line, etc.

Thanks Martin for this. I wish Adobe would give us this info! Give it to us as a beta idea, so we could check it out. Not all of us out here are pros who need bulletproof apps. A nice Christmas present indeed!!

Olakunle Olanrewaju December 25th, 2010 01:38 AM

Thomas that is good news 'cos I just ordered a laptop with Nvidia GT330 GPU. hope to report my progress when I lay my hands on it in the coming weeks(it is still in transit to Nigeria)

John Hewat December 27th, 2010 06:29 PM

Hello all,

The answer to this question could be somewhere in the 16 pages of posts but I didn't see it.

I had this running fine for a long time. Then Did a PPro update and lost the changes made to the text file.

So I went and put my card back in (480) and went to add the exe file to my 3D settings in the Nvidia control panel and for some reason, PPro 4 appears there as already being selected.

And when I add "Adobe Premiere Pro.exe" from my CS5 directory, it just thinks I'm adding the CS4 executable and doesn't add anything.

In fact, it sees After Effects and Encore CS4 as well - none of which are installed on this computer - even though I have "Show only programs on this computer" ticked.

I tried to Remove and Restore the program settings but the options are greyed out.

Any advice here?

Harm Millaard December 28th, 2010 12:51 AM

John,

This is a textual limitation of the driver without any impact. It uses the correct PR version.

John Hewat December 28th, 2010 05:29 PM

So It does! Thanks again Harm!

Two questions though that are possibly (honestly I have no idea) related to MPE.

I run one output from my 480 to a Matrox Triple Head 2 Go and spread my Premiere workspace over three monitors.

The second output from the 480 goes to a HD display for full screen playback which I would enable by selecting from the option in the preview monitor.

But it's gone now. All I have is "DV Device" or "SD Device" (I forget what it called it), which isn't plugged in anyway.

I use Cineform and when I select a Cineform project, I can get full screen preview but that's it. Any ideas?

Secondly, in regards to full screen playback on that second monitor, when I select the option in the Cineform project, it defaults to Disable Open GL and Disable Full Screen Preview. I always enable them both (in 2D). What is the purpose of disabling or enabling Open GL? I thought it was a good thing and would expect Cineform to have it enabled by default.

Sorry if neither issue has anything to do with getting MPE to work with these cards. But I thought it might be a side effect of the process maybe.

Thanks again!

Thomas B. Smith January 2nd, 2011 04:37 PM

Premiere Pro: nVidia gpu in use now, update.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas B. Smith (Post 1601669)
I was encouraged by Martin Guitar's original post to get my Sony Vaio laptop
< VPC-F11JFX, Win7 Home, 64 bit which has an nVidia GT 330M video card>
to use the GPU in Premiere Pro CS5.

I ran GPU sniffer in a CMD window by dragging the .exe file from the Premiere Pro program file into the window. I did this after having the near instantaneous flash of the results of the sniffer disappear on the screen, after merely double clicking on the GPU sniffer.exe. So now I had the readout and my "problem" was CUDA driver too old. Hmm. Went to the Sony update site and made sure I was up to date, I was. Went to NVidia's site and after entering my model etc. found this note: "Sony has joined the Verde program by supporting the following VAIO notebooks: Sony F Series with NVIDIA GeForce 310M and Sony F Series with NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M. Other Sony VAIO notebooks are not supported at this time (please contact Sony for driver support)."

When I first read Martin's post, not only did I find my CUDA drivers too old, I found that nVidia specifically did not want you to use their driver in my Sony (& other Sony models) notebook. I was pleased to see both 32 & 64 bit drivers available now.

I installed the new 64 bit driver from nVidia. I ran GPU sniffer again and this time I got the result I was looking for, that the card was not in the supported list.

I changed permissions on the "supported cards" file to allow me to edit it. Initially, I found myself unable to change the text file, as others in this thread have also found.
I added my card to the supported cards text file and saved it. Then held my breath as I started Premiere Pro CS5 and looked to see if I could now enable GPU use.

BAM, I now had the choice to enable, & I did. Tonight I will wring the thing out & get back here to report on stability, speed increase, the vaunted yellow line, etc.

Thanks Martin for this. I wish Adobe would give us this info! Give it to us as a beta idea, so we could check it out. Not all of us out here are pros who need bulletproof apps. A nice Christmas present indeed!!

++++++++++++++++++++

Ok, I have had no problems whatsoever since enabling my gpu in Premiere Pro CS5. Editing is smoother overall, no stability issues, faster (by seat of the pants) but I do not have benchmarks to check this....your mileage may differ!

Marc Brackhahn January 5th, 2011 11:08 PM

Trouble with hack

I found the cuda_supported_cards.txt but when I try to save it, it tells me that file already exists and do I want to replace it. I clicked ok and then it says access denied. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Harm Millaard January 6th, 2011 12:48 AM

Try as administrator. Otherwise change the file permissions.

Marc Brackhahn January 6th, 2011 07:47 AM

I tried the administrator route with no luck. I have windows 7 do you know how to change the file permissions?