DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   PIP With Border (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/481557-pip-border.html)

David Jonas July 8th, 2010 06:27 AM

PIP With Border

Is there a simple way to do a Picture in Picture with border? Coming from Avid Liquid its as simple as dropping a 2D or 3D effect on a clip and all parameters for scaling, cropping, Borders, feathering and transparency is available to you. The resulting effect can then be saved for future use.

With premiere it seems you have to scale the clip directly from the master viewer, then use a radial wipe effect which takes a while to get just right and I see no option to save the results. Any other options?

Greg Hogland July 8th, 2010 07:38 AM

In CS4

David
After you scale your frame down you can save it as a preset that will be placed in your preset folder to be used as any other effect or preset. Then create your border in the title program and save it as a template. That way it will already be set for the next time you use it.

David Jonas July 8th, 2010 07:50 AM

Thanks Greg. I did try the border in the Title program but it didn't quite come out right. will try again.

John Wiley July 8th, 2010 08:02 AM

You can use the Bevel Edges filter for a quick border - Just drop the effect on, then set the "light colour" to black.

Another slightly longer but more precise way is to resize your top picture. then between it and your bottom layer place a black matte. Copy and paste the "motion" effects from your top clip to the matte. Then you can change the scale of the matte layer or the top layer to get the exact border size you want. This method offers a bit more control because you can use other filters on either layer diffuse the edges of the border or the image, change thier shapes independatly, use specific images as a border instead of the matte, etc.

If you are using CS4 or CS5 I believe you can create an effect preset which incorporates multiple effects - so you can save a standard "PIP with border preset" preset if it's something you use all the time. Unfortunately CS3 won't let you do this.

Gregory Gesch July 8th, 2010 06:11 PM

Hi David. In CS3 in the Presets folder there are some PiPs ready to go - which you can scale to get black borders if you so wish. Video Effects/Transform/Crop can be useful in cleaning up your framing too.

David Jonas July 8th, 2010 07:18 PM

Thanks Guys. Actually trying out CS5. Have CS3 in an unopened box. I had stopped using Premiere a long time ago because I found it was lacking in real time playback. CS5 really has the performance now and does support the newer formats which is why I am trying it. Also trying Media Composer 5.

I did the scaling, border and saved as preset thing and it works ok. Only problem now is that its a lot more steps to accomplish what I would normally do in one step with Liquid. If only I could combine the scaling and border effects into one I would be set.

David Jonas July 8th, 2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregory Gesch (Post 1546659)
Hi David. In CS3 in the Presets folder there are some PiPs ready to go - which you can scale to get black borders if you so wish. Video Effects/Transform/Crop can be useful in cleaning up your framing too.

The presets are there however I see no way to customize the border or even change the color.