DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   colour matching (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/485000-colour-matching.html)

Mark Webb September 20th, 2010 04:33 PM

colour matching

what is the best way of colour matching clips from two different hdv cams
im using premiere cs5

should i use the colour correct filters in cs5 or are there any decent colour matching plug ins for premire cs5?

any advice and help on how to do this would be great

Gregory Gesch September 21st, 2010 06:01 PM

Hi Mark. I use Premiere's Fast Color Corrector, which gives you a good selection of tools in one panel, but if that doesn't do it for you then there is Color Finesse:
Color Finesse 3 - Features
which does allow you to colour match using eyedroppers.
Also Color Finesse comes bundled with After Effects (though its plugin doesn't work with Premiere), so if you have access to AE you could check it out or, on the other hand it might be a good excuse to get AE for a bit more than you would be paying for the plugin.
If you're just starting out it can be a bit daunting but there are quite a few 'color' correction tutorials for Premiere if you google. Hope that helps.

Mark Webb September 22nd, 2010 02:57 PM

Thanks very much for replying Gregory i am trying colour finesse out but its hard to get the clips to match one seems more vibrant and brighter then the other I just need something that looks decent so i can start editing and hopefully complete the wedding to send out to bluray and dvd

Gregory Gesch September 22nd, 2010 05:28 PM

Hi, it's impossible to tell without seeing the clips but from your description I would first play with the Saturation to try to equalise the vibrancy of the colours - then look at the RGB gain if brightness is still a problem - but I'm just groping in the dark here.

Adam Gold September 22nd, 2010 05:45 PM

Real professionals will howl at this, but what happens if you just place the Auto Color or Auto Levels effect on both clips? It might move both more towards the middle, and that might be enough.

Mark Webb September 22nd, 2010 05:45 PM

hi Gregory could i email you some still frame shots if possable?

Adam Gold September 22nd, 2010 05:49 PM

Can you post them here so we can all see them?

Mark Webb September 22nd, 2010 05:52 PM

sounds like something to try Adam.
I will get some still shots and maybe you and Gregory could take a look at?

Mark Webb September 22nd, 2010 05:54 PM

could i email them to you?

Gregory Gesch September 22nd, 2010 05:57 PM

I've emailed you via the site with my address.

Adam Gold September 22nd, 2010 06:22 PM

It really is better if you can post them here on the site so all can lend their advice. If you're not comfortable doing that, sure, email 'em to me.

Edit: Based on the shots you sent, I think the tools in Premiere will probably work fine. Just give Auto Color a shot on clip B and see what happens. If you don't like the look, just remove the effect.

Ann Bens September 23rd, 2010 08:21 AM

I would advice against using auto filters.
They tend to give unpleasant side effects like flickering.