DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   CS5 How to export as an AVI? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/485009-cs5-how-export-avi.html)

Sam Tansey September 20th, 2010 09:47 PM

CS5 How to export as an AVI?

I have someone asking for a project to be in AVI format for broadcast. As far as I can see there is no option in premiere's export to do this.

Is there simply no option or am I missing something?

If it's not possible to do an export from the timeline, what would people suggest is a good encoding program, hopefully without having to spend money. What would be the best source format to use for the best quality encode?

Tim Kolb September 20th, 2010 10:58 PM

What version of Premiere Pro do you have? What platform?

An AVI is no problem...at least for those of us on Windows...

Since "AVI" is only a wrapper like "QuickTime"...it kind of depends on what codecs are installed on your machine.

Did the requesting party specify a codec?

Sam Tansey September 20th, 2010 11:12 PM

On a Mac, I assume they want h.264 although i don't really know. I have Perian and flip4mac installed but that doesn't appear to be the answer.

Robert Young September 21st, 2010 01:12 AM

Hard to know exactly from the info you have given, but the phrase "AVI for broadcast" sounds like they want ordinary standard definition (720x480) NTSC (or PAL) DV .avi
Don't know what version of PPro you are using, but you should be able to export from your timeline and select NTSC (PAL) DV.avi, or Microsoft DV.avi for the output codec in AME. Make sure the settings are appropriate (par .9 for 4x3, 1.2 for widescreen, etc.).
I'm using a Windows pc, maybe something's different on a Mac setup, but DV.avi is a garden variety codec that I would expect to be universally available. Maybe on the Mac you are only allowed Apple's Quicktime .mov wrapper.

Tim Kolb September 21st, 2010 03:09 AM

If the file is intended for a broadcast server, those files are still predominantly MPEG2 transport streams...

Do you know what the intended use for the file will be?

Sam Tansey September 21st, 2010 05:37 AM

It turns out its not for broadcast but for some kind of trade/arts exhibition/conference.

Anyhow, at this point in time I don't really care what the codec is. Just need to get it into avi somehow because thats what I have been asked for.

It seems a bit pointless really. It they are just playing it off a computer then I don't see why they cant use mp4

I tried re-encoding an mp4 via some freeware and the results were pretty unimpressive.

Paul R Johnson September 21st, 2010 06:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Something is wrong CS5 has microsoft avi as one of the presets in the media encoder?
http://www.earsmedia.co.uk/avi.jpg
Here's a screenshot.

Tim Kolb September 21st, 2010 06:37 AM

The Adobe CS5 Media Encoder has more options than any freeware...

If it were me... I'd deliver a high quality H.264 and a high bitrate WMV, and if you really want to, you could even toss in a transport stream MPEG2 clip...

If the stuff started as HD and the client will have some sort of computer display, it'll give you some options for higher quality.

Often, I'll take Encore and make a standard DVD with an MPEG2 file (standard def) and put the higher res WMV and the H.264 in the "data" area so that a client can open a file on a computer...OR they can shove it in a run-of-the-mill DVD player.

...and when they call for assistance, all the options they need are already on their media and the worst you have to do is point them to it.

My .02

Ann Bens September 21st, 2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson (Post 1571410)
Something is wrong CS5 has microsoft avi as one of the presets in the media encoder?
http://www.earsmedia.co.uk/avi.jpg
Here's a screenshot.

No that is correct. DV avi has always been LFF you cannot change that to upper or progressive.
Even in earlier versions of Premiere when you set it to upper or progressive you still wound up with a dv avi in LFF.

On a sidenote exporting HDV to DV-avi looks awful.

Robert Young September 21st, 2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Tansey (Post 1571405)
It turns out its not for broadcast but for some kind of trade/arts exhibition/conference.

Anyhow, at this point in time I don't really care what the codec is. Just need to get it into avi somehow because thats what I have been asked for.

It seems a bit pointless really. It they are just playing it off a computer then I don't see why they cant use mp4

I tried re-encoding an mp4 via some freeware and the results were pretty unimpressive.

Sam
This seems almost ridiculous.
You clearly haven't been provided with enough information to comply with their request.
Either they know exactly what codec they want, in which case you need to pry it out of them, or they don't really know what they want, in which case it's your job to tell them what codec would work best on whatever display system they plan to use.
A farcical misunderstanding about the issue could lead to a real unhappy client, or at the least, a less than desirable display of your production.
I've learned the hard way not to leave public display issues to others if avoidable. If it looks like crap, you know who will be blamed- not the equipment, you can be sure :)

Sam Tansey September 21st, 2010 08:46 PM

We are the client. A band I am involved with. The work being a music video that is going to be displayed. I understand why they are specifying formats as our video will be one amongst many and I imagine they will be putting them all together.

Ill follow it up a bit more, information is coming through, second or third hand, thanks for everyones help.