DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Change Export Quality Settings in Encore CS4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/486331-change-export-quality-settings-encore-cs4.html)

Alan Emery October 19th, 2010 09:11 AM

Change Export Quality Settings in Encore CS4

I have a project built in PPro CS4. I encoded the timelines to .m2v format. Menus were built in Photoshop CS4 (work fine). I imported the m2v, wav, and psd files to Encore to a project set for BR mpeg2 1920x1080. The psd files play back in preview fine and are at the correct resolution of 1920x1080. The m2v files preview in a lower resolution (and burn onto the BR disc the same way). The default Export Settings appear to be 1280x720. The source settings showing in Encore for the m2v files show as 1920x1080, but the output is shown as 1280x720.

How can I change the export quality settings from 1280x720 to 1920x1080?

When I change them from the menu, they do not hold and have no effect on the clips. I attempted to start over with a new project, but had precisely the same problems. This is a very large project (nearly two hours with two layers of menus).

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks,
Alan

Robert Young October 19th, 2010 04:45 PM

If you right click your video file in the project window, you should get a drop down menu that includes "transcode settings". If you click on that, you should get a huge menu of transcode selections to choose from.

Alan Emery October 19th, 2010 06:13 PM

Hi Bob,

Many thanks for the reply. I did as you suggested. Both a timeline and the file (m2v) are present. The video file allows transcoding, the timeline does not. When I attempt to change the video file settings, the settings do not appear to "stick". Instead the menu reverts to the default when I open it to check the settings. The timeline continues to play as before at the lower resolution.

The odd thing is that the menus play at full resolution while the timelines do not. Very wierd and for now at least, quite frustrating.

Perhaps there is a way to start a new project and set up new export quality settings before I import anything. Haven't figured that out yet.

One user on a different forum had the same problem and he actually made a copy of the export preset file, so he could replace it later, then removed all the presets but the one he wanted and put that file in the spot for Encore to use. Because there was nothing else for Encore to use, he got what he wanted. I suppose one could make a whole set of typically used files with export settings to substitute each time, but there must be a better way.

Alan

Robert Young October 19th, 2010 07:58 PM

I think that there are significant nusiance issues with Encore transcoding/defaulting/settings that I do not understand fully.
Frankly, my strategy is to encode from the timeline, using AME, to exactly the file format and settings that I want on the disk. So, for BR, I usually encode to h.264, VBR 1 or 2 passes, 1920x1080, 25mbs avg, 30mbs peak, with multiplexing of the audio as Dolby Digital.
This produces a single, multiplexed, BR file that is disk ready.
When I import to Encore, I see in the project window, to the right of the file name, in the Blu Ray column, it says "Don't Transcode" and I know I am home free :)
Good luck

Sareesh Sudhakaran October 19th, 2010 10:39 PM

Maybe you have this covered, but:

On the export settings when you view your resolution, there is an INPUT/OUTPUT tab. Each shows you the video as it is and the video you are exporting to. Is the output tab showing the video in 1080?

Robert Young October 19th, 2010 11:00 PM

I'm not sure I understand the question, but:
The output window will show the resolution, frame aspect ratio, any letterboxing, etc., that would be associated with your transcode settings.
If your transcode settings produce the same aspect ratio (16x9) as your source file, the input and output images will look the same, even if the source and output resolution is different.
You could be transcoding 1920x1080 to 1280x720 for web, and the INPUT and OUTPUT windows will look the same.

Roger Averdahl October 20th, 2010 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Emery (Post 1580165)
How can I change the export quality settings from 1280x720 to 1920x1080?

Alan, in CS5 this is done like this:
1. Select the video file/s in the Project panel
2. File > Transcode Settings
3. In the Transcode Settings dialog, change Dimensions from 1280 x 720 to 1920 x 1080
4. if needed, change Frame Rate to match your footage

Next time, when you create a new project in Encore, make sure to change/double check the Default Transcode Settings so it matches you footage.

Alan Emery October 20th, 2010 07:53 AM

Hi Sareesh,

In the Export Settings dialogue box, both the input and output tabs show the video file as: Source: 1920x1080 and Output: 1280x720. The frame rate is shown as 23.976 in the output, whereas the source file was shot at 60i and encoded at 29.97p framerate. The aspect ratio is the same in both settings. The timelines preview at 1280x720, whereas the psd files (my BR menus) preview at 1920x1080 in the same project.

Hi Roger,

I followed your steps. Once I finished making the changes, I was asked to name the preset, which I did. Then I clicked OK. I then transcoded the file and the Blu-ray Transcode column has the file transcoded. Both the file and the timeline continue to preview at the lower resolution.

Many thanks to both of you for the advice, but for some reason, the changes I make to the settings do not seem to stay put. For example, after I make the changes and then go back and check to see if the changes are still in place, the menu shows the settings have reverted to the 1280x720 23.976 settings.

I have ticket into Adobe, and they estimate a three-day reply. I will report back if I have any success with them.

Alan

Roger Averdahl October 20th, 2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Emery (Post 1580459)
In the Export Settings dialogue box, both the input and output tabs show the video file as: Source: 1920x1080 and Output: 1280x720.

Thats the problem.

Make sure to export from Premiere Pro CS4 to 1920x1080. If you export to 1280x720 the mistake has already been made and cannot be fixed in Encore. You must re-export everything out of Premiere Pro CS4. In the Export Settings dialog you can either use a Preset that matches your footage or change it manually. Consult the manual for how-to-change-manually.

I misunderstood you post since exporting cannot be done in Encore.

Alan Emery October 20th, 2010 02:30 PM

Hi Roger,

I agree, however in this case, I did export to 1920x1080 from PPro CS4 (in fact now I have tried it in four different formats: m2v, h264, mpeg2, and mpeg2BR -- all to 1920x1080). When these are played in a separate player, they are fine and play at full resolution. The problem is inside Encore. The Export settings to which I was referring are actually in Encore and I presume are used to define what Encore does with the file when it is outputting the file to an iso image or disc. The source material is correctly shown as 1920x1080. It is the output to the final image or disc (as seen in the preview) in Encore that is showing as the lower resolution.

I have been hunting for some new bit of information, but so far the instructions for manual change to the Export Settings in Encore are exactly what I have been doing, and it just does not hold. It immediately reverts to what was there originally. So I know I am doing something wrong, I just haven't figured it out yet.

I really appreciate everyone's assistance, and will keep working at it.

Alan

Alan Emery October 20th, 2010 07:02 PM

Hmmm ... Adobe says it no longer supports Encore CS4 for free so I need to buy support contract. The url provided to purchase one has defective security certificate. Cute!

I am calling them and will report back if and when I get anywhere.

Alan

Alan Emery October 20th, 2010 07:37 PM

I called Adobe, and was told by a nice robot that the wait would be 15 to 21 minutes. I waited for 3/4 of an hour and no one responded, so I gave up. Earlier I had closed my computer and gone off in a huff to have dinner. So somewhat grumpily I turned on the computer again, started a new project in Encore and fiddled with the Export quality preset menu, and it still didn't work (couldn't change the preset to what I wanted ot to be) even on a blank project. So I closed Encore and started to turn on the TV.

Then somewhat perversely I thought well I'll open the giant offending project and see if I can make it work, even if just by annoying it through my perserverence.

Guess what! Nothing has changed in the settings (at least not by me), but it works. The preview is at full resolution. I have no idea what if anything I did in the background or if shutting down the computer cleared some electronic goop, or what, but it works.

This means I unfortunately can offer no insight into a similar failure should anyone else (including me) experience it. Adobe was most unhelpful, but I gather that is not an unusual experience.

Once again many thanks for all your suggestions and advice.

Alan

Robert Young October 20th, 2010 09:16 PM

That's very good news.
Stranger things have happened with CS4...
IMO, CS5 seems to be a much better product- many people consider CS4 to be rather a low point in Adobe's product line.

Sareesh Sudhakaran October 20th, 2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Emery (Post 1580647)

This means I unfortunately can offer no insight into a similar failure should anyone else (including me) experience it. Adobe was most unhelpful, but I gather that is not an unusual experience.

Once again many thanks for all your suggestions and advice.

Alan

Just for kicks Alan, what does the output tab show now?

Alan Emery October 21st, 2010 05:48 AM

Hi Sareesh,

Guess what -- 1280x720 output is the setting on the output tab. The final product is very clearly a full 1920x1080, despite the output readings.

Now is that bizarre or what!

Alan

Robert Young October 21st, 2010 01:00 PM

Go figure...
If you look at the properties of the final file (in Windows Explorer, for ex.), it definitely says 1920x1080?

Alan Emery October 21st, 2010 01:54 PM

Hi Bob,

I'm not sure how to do that.

The output from Encore is either a BR disc (in this case) or an .iso file (which I also created). The input files are for sure 1920x1080. When the problem existed, the previews (and output results) were definitely lower resolution than they are now that the problem has "vanished".

But you are correct, it could be that the earlier preview and output were something else again, and I am just assuming the lower resolution I saw was the 1280x720. Suppose it was just 720x480 and I am now looking at 1280x720, not yet up to 1920x1080. I am not certain how to make that determination from the BR disc or .iso file or even the image on the TV screen (which looks great now).

I did create DVD versions (it took two separate discs in that format to avoid compression beyond standard DVD compression -- the project is nearly two hours long), and my "recollection" is that the preview and output in the "problem era" were in between the SD 720x480 and what I now see and assume to be HD 1920x1080.

Thanks,
Alan

Robert Young October 21st, 2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Emery (Post 1580913)
I did create DVD versions (it took two separate discs in that format to avoid compression beyond standard DVD compression -- the project is nearly two hours long), and my "recollection" is that the preview and output in the "problem era" were in between the SD 720x480 and what I now see and assume to be HD 1920x1080.

Thanks,
Alan

Hmmm...
If you did your DVD building first, are you absolutely sure that when you switched to building the BR, that you changed the settings at the very top of the Encore "Build" page from: "FORMAT-DVD; OUTPUT- DVD Disk" to "FORMAT- Blu Ray; OUTPUT- Blu Ray Disk".
That is easy to miss and if you failed to make the change, Encore would just keep pumping out 720x480 no matter what you set the HD defaults to.
That could explain everything you have observed.

Alan Emery October 21st, 2010 08:41 PM

Good point. If I had done this any other way i would not be certain.

However in this case, the DVD build was two projects in PPro using the original source files of course (all captured originally on nanoflash at 1920x1080 4:2:2 100Mbps) and two separate projects in Encore (DVD1 and DVD2). Then I went back to PPro and put the two DVD timelines into a single sequence and encoded the complete timeline as one file, using the mpegBR setting in AME. I started a new Encore project specifically for the BR end product.

While I would be the first to admit my memory is not perfect, in this case, I know the setting was Format BluRay and Output BluRay image right from the beginning. I did the disc second after the image.

Also I had just completed the DVD projects, so knew what the images looked like in that format. The psd menus in DVD format were nowhere near as clear as they were in the BR project. Somehow it was only the timelines in the BR project that were previewing in the lower resolution.

One other odd thing i noticed at the last before I walked away from my computer in a disgruntled state was that if I stopped the preview in Encore, the frozen image reverted to the higher resoltution. Very strange.

Alan

Sareesh Sudhakaran October 21st, 2010 09:21 PM

take snapshots (or render as a few uncompressed TIFF files) of the full screen source footage and then do the same with the BR discs - in your computer. Do you notice a resolution difference? If the output tab in Encore is displaying 720 then your BR player might be upscaling 720 to 1080, thus causing the confusion. The output might still be only 720.

Question: Doesn't the output tab allow you to change the setting from 720 to 1080?

Alan Emery October 22nd, 2010 10:02 AM

Hi Sareesh,

Very good idea on how to make the direct comparisons!

I began by playing the source file on Windows media player on one monitor and freezing it on a close-up image with lots of detail. I then played the BR disc on the computer and displayed the same frame on a duplicate monitor immediately beside the first monitor. Both images are being displayed full screen on 24" monitors (1920x1200 resolution). The two images are identical in resolution. There is definitely not the marked difference in resolution that I was seeing in the preview files in Encore before the problem magically disappeared.

I checked again on the settings. File>Edit Quality Presets. The window pops open. I selected the output tab. It shows 1280x720 (23.976 framerate). I then went to the export settings section and changed the output presets to read 1920x1080 (framerate 29.97). The tab information also changes to agree with the choices I made. Clicked OK. Holding my breath.....

Then I re-opened the Edit Quality presets, and it had reverted to the 1280x720 23.976 framerate on the output window. I rechecked the previews with the settings in the incorrect position and the previews are playing (despite what the output information says) the full resolution display equal to what I see on the source file and the BR disc playing in the computer .

I am baffled, nervously happy that it is working, unsure what to do if it happens again, and doubting very much that the presets (as they are set up on my computer anyway) have any visible function.

I continue to debate with Adobe. They so far are polite and apologized for the incorrect url and extended wait on the non-responsive telephone but still want me to buy a support contract. I have told them I want to upgrade, but not until I get the project out of the way because I know from experience that switching programs mid-stream in a big project is not a good idea. So I feel that buying a support contract for a few days to support a program I will not be using shortly seems a waste of money.

Now that I can finish the project (magic at play somewhere), and even though I have no idea why this happened or what I can do if it happens again, I am "out of the woods" for now, but I do think Adobe has been unreasonable in this case.

If I get any more insights, i will let you all know!

Alan

Sareesh Sudhakaran October 22nd, 2010 10:03 PM

Strange, but hey, the visual test is the best way to check and make sure....after all, it's what the audience uses to judge something!

Robert Young October 23rd, 2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Emery (Post 1581149)
...I want to upgrade, but not until I get the project out of the way

Smart move- get your project finished, then trade up to CS5.
You'll never look back :)

Alan Emery October 26th, 2010 10:20 AM

Once again, thanks to everyone for your assistance.

A brief update on Adobe's position: even though I told them I just need this one bit of information so I can finish the project before I upgrade to CS5, they are adamant; I must purchase a service contract or they won't help me (even though they know it is just for a day or so and I am not going to use the CS4 version of the product again).

They actually told a little fib and said that they are "not allowed" to respond to my question. A corporation can do whatever they want to or for a customer, it is their choice. There is no rule other than corporate policy to determine how they respond. I expect that Adobe simply does not care about individual customers with a tiny need for assistance and little purchasing power.

So in the end I was able to complete the project without their assistance. I am now a hostile and suspicious customer rather than the loyal and supportive customer I once was. If their behaviour remains unhelpful over time, I guess it will be time to choose another product line. Too bad, they make pretty good products sometimes, but if they don't support them it is difficult to remain loyal.

Hats off to the helpful folks at dvinfo and thumbs down for Adobe.

Alan

Robert Young October 26th, 2010 05:17 PM

Well, I understand your frustration with Adobe.
It's like dealing with a government agency- but most of the big companies are like that.
However- CS5 is really good, so don't let it get under your skin too much...

Alan Emery November 12th, 2010 04:02 PM

Hi again,

I have been away for a bit, but on my return, Adobe decided to call and help me even though they are "not allowed" to assist without extracting money from me if my software is one upgrade plus 90 days old. They actually did not ask for money this time. I spoke to a nice person who tried to assist me, but in the end and because I had already solved the problem we mutually decided to call it quits.

Several of you and also the Adobe technical guy said the key is to get everything in the project (from capture to NLE timeline to encoding to importing into an Encore timeline) set up with the format you want to end up with in the DVD or BluRay final. Don't forget to set the player to high. Make sure your timeline shows the correct settings in the Properties tab. As for the export quality presets, they do not seem to have any effect on my project outputs.

Now I will take your collective suggestions, get CS5, and hope for the best. Many thanks for all your help and encouragement.

Alan