DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Full Screen Preview on second LCD? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/48832-full-screen-preview-second-lcd.html)

Ed Szarleta August 4th, 2005 02:58 PM

Full Screen Preview on second LCD?

Is it possible to Preview your project full screen on a second LCD monitor I have hooked up?

Steven Gotz August 4th, 2005 04:41 PM

Yes. Most of the video cards with two heads allow full screen video mode. You need to change some settings in the way the drivers work. Which kind of video card do you have?

Ed Szarleta August 4th, 2005 05:32 PM

ATI x700 with one VGA and one DVI. I used to use Vegas 6.0 and it has an external preview button within the application that toggles my second monitor to preview full screen. What's the workflow in Premiere?

Ed Szarleta August 6th, 2005 10:30 PM

Anyone? Is there a way to view a full screen preview via a second LCD or CRT Computer Monitor hooked to your video card, or is it Firewire only?

Steven Gotz August 6th, 2005 10:34 PM

I don't know about your particular card, but this is for one of the ATI cards:

ATI RADEON
1. In Windows Display Properties, Click on the ‘Settings’ Tab
2. Select the second monitor in the ‘Display’ drop down menu
3. Be sure that the check box “Extend My Windows Desktop onto This Monitor”
is UNCHECKED.
4. Select the first monitor in the ‘Display’ drop down menu
5. Click on the ‘Advanced’ button to view the ATI Radeon Settings
6. Click on the ‘Overlay’ Tab
7. Click on ‘Clone Mode Options’
8. In ‘Overlay Display Mode’ select ‘Theatre Mode’
9. In ‘Set Video Aspect Ratio To’ select ‘Same As Source Video’
10. In ‘Display Device Aspect Ratio’ select the aspect ratio of the device you are
displaying to
11. Click on ‘Display’
12. Be sure both monitors are activated and designated correctly as either Primary
or Feature Monitor.

Ed Szarleta August 6th, 2005 10:46 PM

Thanks Steven,

So it's done from the graphic cards application instead of within Premiere. Premiere I assume is external preview via firewire only?

Steven Gotz August 7th, 2005 09:37 AM

Right. Premiere Pro uses the firewire for preview, but the overlay is part of an application that should automatically provide you with a full screen preview.

I do not believe it is particularly a good idea. I prefer to see my movies using the exact number of pixels, not expanded past that artificially. And it is just too easy to use the firewire to a real monitor, either through the camera, or an external device. That provides a better view anyway.

Ed Szarleta August 7th, 2005 10:41 AM

Thanks Steven,

This is for HDV footage though, so an LCD is more beneficial to me, plus a lot less expensive

Steven Gotz August 7th, 2005 03:34 PM

I just bought a house in FLorida, and have decided to merge the Computer room and Media room. So my 60" HDTV will be my new HDV monitor. All I need to do is explain to my wife that I need a new PC that can handle the new video cards that have component outputs.

In the meantime, you are correct, the LCD will just have to do.

Mike Teutsch August 7th, 2005 04:06 PM

[QUOTE=Steven Gotz]I just bought a house in FLorida, and have decided to merge the Computer room and Media room. So my 60" HDTV will be my new HDV monitor. QUOTE]

Now if your house were, say, in Port St. Lucie, so I could knock on your door for help with Premiere Pro! Anyway, welcome to Florida, what area are you in.

Mike

Steven Gotz August 7th, 2005 07:00 PM

Sorry, it looks like about 140 miles from there to Clermont, which is just outside of Orlando. So maybe one of these days when you hit Disney World, we could meet up.

Dave Ferdinand August 7th, 2005 11:19 PM

I have an ATI Radeon 9600 and Steve's tip work wonderfully for me but only whne playing movies in Windows Media Player. Probably Premiere Pro will have to signal the card to send the preview out to the 2nd monitor.

This is actually quite useful for color correction, etc. If you figure out how to put your premiere preview working let me know, or maybe I'm just missing something.

Thanks, it's a great tip!

Steven Gotz August 8th, 2005 07:13 AM

I believe it requires Premiere Pro 1.5.1 - have you updated your software?

John McGinley August 11th, 2005 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Ferdinand
This is actually quite useful for color correction, etc. If you figure out how to put your premiere preview working let me know, or maybe I'm just missing something.

Thanks, it's a great tip!

Make sure in your Premiere Pro playback settings that you have the overlay set to DirectX not GDI. Any footage that shows up in the preview monitor in Premiere should be displayed on your second monitor.

Hugh DiMauro August 15th, 2005 09:49 AM

Steve:

What are you current computer specs while using Premirere Pro 1.5?