DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   HD to SD for DVD project (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/490264-hd-sd-dvd-project.html)

Kenneth Maultsby January 16th, 2011 07:12 PM

HD to SD for DVD project

Hello again everyone using my new HD camcorder I just shot my mother in-law birthday party in 1920x1080i 60i but I need to distribute it in DVD for family members. First can I do this? If so how do I set it up in Encore?

Adam Gold January 16th, 2011 07:20 PM

You don't really have to do anything. When you're done editing in Premiere, just Send to Encore (how you do this depends on your version, but in CS5 it's File > Adobe Dynamic Link > Send to Encore; in CS3, IIRC, it was File > Export > Export to Encore) and let it do the rest. It will automatically transcode with the best possible quality given the space you have and your project length. A couple of checkboxes -- i.e. tell it whether you want DVD or Blu-Ray -- and you're done. Go get a cup of coffee and come get your disc a few minutes (or hours) later.

Even if you're not doing any editing, it may be simpler to import all your footage into Premiere, throw it all onto a timeline and send to Encore than to author the disc from scratch using Encore alone.

Kenneth Maultsby January 16th, 2011 08:57 PM

Thanks Adam I am new to Premier and new to AVCHD and it's work flow.

Greg Fiske January 18th, 2011 03:41 PM

And if you not satisfied with quality, look here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...d-quality.html

Harm Millaard January 18th, 2011 03:48 PM

Happiness is:

"Discovering that the giant plant you gave your mother-in-law for her bedside is a meat-eater."

For the rest let Encore handle it, like Adam said.

Ray Barber January 19th, 2011 12:58 AM

"I just shot my mother in-law" - How much do you charge?

Here's a very good, basic tutorial on Encore. YouTube - Adobe Encore and Premiere Pro CS4

I tend to export to an iso file first rather than burning straight to disk, as I've had a number of burn failures in the past.

Jay Jelliff January 20th, 2011 06:05 PM

Canopus Procoder 3. Perfect HD to SD tool

Products | Grass Valley

Tom Blizzard January 22nd, 2011 07:48 PM

This did wonders for me. There are some "secrets" about CS4 and CS5 here that no one told me about........ He takes you step by step through the best settings........

Bellune Digital Video Services - Play Video - Adobe Premiere Pro - HD to SD Using Premiere Pro CS4

Kenneth Maultsby January 22nd, 2011 11:20 PM

Thank you all for the info. :)

Greg Clark January 30th, 2011 12:35 PM

Is this an improvement

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 1608199)
When you're done editing in Premiere, just Send to Encore (how you do this depends on your version, but in CS5 it's File > Adobe Dynamic Link > Send to Encore; It will automatically transcode with the best possible quality given the space you have and your project length. A couple of checkboxes -- i.e. tell it whether you want DVD or Blu-Ray -- and you're done. Go get a cup of coffee and come get your disc a few minutes (or hours) later.

I am always looking for a downgrade that provides the least amount of video loss when converting HDV to DV. I am planning on upgrading to CS5 yet but am wondering if this is an improved downgrade over CS3.

Tom Blizzard January 30th, 2011 01:35 PM

Question for Adam, (or anyone else):
Does this mean that the special custom settings recommended here: Bellune Digital Video Services - Play Video - Adobe Premiere Pro - HD to SD Using Premiere Pro CS4
Will not make the quality of the final DVD better??
Just curious and would like your opinion.....

Adam Gold January 30th, 2011 06:59 PM

That tutorial is excellent and I'm fairly sure it would work the same way in CS5 as well, and the settings Jeff specified in it seem to me that they'd be the best. But the simpler workflow, I think, may do most or all of that without you having to do anything, although I can't be sure, because in Automatic mode it doesn't tell you what settings it picks. Perhaps some experimentation is in order.

Greg, I had great results doing this in both CS3 and CS5, but I'm told CS5 does a better job downconverting than CS3 on its own. Those who know the inner workings better than I do may be able to comment more.