DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Looking to switch to OSX from Windows (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/490832-looking-switch-osx-windows.html)

John Novotny January 28th, 2011 01:59 AM

Looking to switch to OSX from Windows

Currently running Vista 64 and will upgrade to Win 7 soon but plan to go to OSX and a Mac Pro workstation in the future still using Adobe Premiere Pro. Having encountered all kinds of stability issues with Vista I want to dump the Windows platform altogether. I don't want to risk another bad release from Microsoft.

Anyone make a similiar jump with from Windows to OSX with Adobe?

Any issues? Seems like OSX is a very stable platform.

Dave Partington January 28th, 2011 04:31 AM

It seems like you are making an emotional decision more than anything else.

I'm a Mac user with several Macs including:

• Mac Pro 8 core 16GB RAM
• iMac 27" i7 Quad
• iMac 21" Core 2 Duo

I've also had PCs over the years running everything from Windows 3 up to Vista. I hated Vista and downgraded everything back to XP Pro. I have not installed Windows 7 because I don't have any PC hardware capable of running the 64 bit version.

--- HOWEVER ---

While the Mac is generally a very stable platform, so is Windows 7. Much of the stability is going to be down to the hardware. If you have a flakey component, like a flakey RAM chip you may not know it and could be blaming Windows and/or the software running on the bad hardware.

I think I have a suspect RAM chip in my Mac Pro and I can tell you that the CS5 apps keep crashing on me! So, in this case, a Mac user could be jumping to Windows thinking Mac was unstable when in fact it's bad RAM.

--- COST ---
If you are concentrating on running the Adobe Apps then honestly, coming from a Mac user, the PC platform is just as good and will be cheaper to build (and keep upgrading) a solid workstation. NVidia graphics cards are almost always cheaper on PCs and if you want to take advantage of the CUDA acceleration then you have a choice of Windows or a Mac Pro. Forget the iMac, it's built in graphics cards are ATI.

A PC will give you many more options for other peripherals too. The iMac is what it is. Buy it, use it, don't try to expand it with more than an external HDD (USB2 or Firewire) and an extra monitor.

The Mac Pro can take expansion cards, but it's a LOT more expensive to buy. A good CUDA graphics card it about $1500 !!

A PC on the other hand can take USB3 cards, eSata cards, choice of lots of graphics cards etc etc.

There ARE reasons to run the Mac OS on genuine Mac hardware, but running the Adobe Apps is not one of them ;)

I'm currently looking at putting another editing station together and I can tell you that it would be a PC running Windows 7 simply because of the extra options for CPUs, RAM, Peripherals, Graphics cards, not to mention it would be cheaper too!

Oh, and Steve Jobs hates Blu-ray, so you can't even play your Blu-ray discs on a Mac! Arrgghh!

Randy Johnson January 28th, 2011 06:37 PM

I can see your frustration with Windows VISTA but before changing your whole platform and spending a lot of money keep these few things in mind. 1. Windows 7 64 is MUCH better than VISTA many even say its better than OSX I have them both I like OSX as a OS but CS5 runs better on Windows. Also keep in mind Apple is'nt really in the computer business anymore they are a i-pod, pad, phone company and havent done much with OSX in a while. plus the cost factor is always there. If I were you I would give Windows 7 a shot before spending a bunch of money.

Dave Allen January 28th, 2011 11:55 PM

Quote:

Also keep in mind Apple is'nt really in the computer business anymore they are a i-pod, pad, phone company and havent done much with OSX in a while.
Oh, that was a good one, you made me laugh, thanks!

http://images.macrumors.com/article/...0_us_trend.png

OSX 10.0: "Cheetah"
OSX 10.1: "Puma"
OSX 10.2: "Jaguar"
OSX 10.3: "Panther"
OSC 10.4: "Tiger"
OSX 10.5: "Leopard"
OSX 10.6: "Snow Leopard"
Soon to be released:
OSX 10.7: "Lion"

Colin McDonald January 29th, 2011 02:12 AM

That's an incomplete link - gives a 404.

Dave Allen January 29th, 2011 08:28 AM

http://images.macrumors.com/article/...0_us_trend.png

Here it is again, maybe the Vb version here is set to disregard png files.

It came from this page:

Apple's Share of Computer Sales Surpasses 10% in U.S. - MacRumors Forums

Randy Johnson January 29th, 2011 01:41 PM

Dave,
I really dont want to start a big Mac VS Windows thing here I am just trying to help the original poster. I use both I like both but Snow leopard has been the last big update to OSX im not saying there killing OSX but everything Apple does now is for i-phones, pads and pods this new update to OSX is just designed to make the current computers play nicer with the portables. Most of that market share if not all is laptops not mac pros. Im not ripping Apple im just seeing a change in their business model. Go to the Apple store and see how many Macs are on the floor vs I-pads.

Dave Allen January 29th, 2011 04:48 PM

Randy,

Oh, us Mac types love to poke good-natured fun at PC weenies and claim we are the chosen, take it all with a grain of salt :).....Actually I admire anyone who can get their head around a Windows OS, it takes an impressive level of skills to do that which I certainly do not have.....

I just had to poke fun at your statement that Apple is not really in the computer biz and is not really updating their OS. They are actually doing a bang-up job on both fronts....but you're certainly right about how their retail stores don't have much in the way of pro desktops anymore. It's pretty much iMacs and laptops, then a swarm of everything with a i in front of it.

With Apple's OSX series built upon a Unix core, I never reinstall software, I never have to boot from a repair disk, I never have to run a disk optimizer, never a file defrag program, I ignore viruses and don't bother deleting them, the main OS never corrupts, if software is not properly written & hangs, I just force quit that and restart that program, it never corrupts itself. OSX is so stable, and so reliable, I never become acquainted with the admirable skillsets Windoze users often do out of necessity.

Randy Johnson January 29th, 2011 09:56 PM

OSX is a great OS I totally agree I just dont think its got enough video related development going on. I think at one point they wanted the broadcast market then just about the time they got it they lost interest. I think there a lot of development going on just not in the desktop market the way they used to.

Randy Johnson January 29th, 2011 11:08 PM

Back to the original post OSX is a very stable OS so is Win 7 but if you want OSX go for it. I do believe CS5 runs better on windows at least for now Adobe is still trying to re learn how to program on a Mac. depending on your needs you can get away with a i-mac for CS5 that will save some $$$ unless you need a monitor out card like black magic then you need to go with the Mac pro. Good luck.

Harm Millaard January 30th, 2011 03:03 AM

Just one remark I have not seen mentioned before.

A top of the line MAC Pro and an equally equipped PC have shown test results on a specific benchmark with CS5 using 4 tracks of AVCHD material the following results:

MAC Pro: 75 minutes

Similar PC: 45 minutes.

About 67% slower than a PC, but at a much higher price. This is almost wholly caused by the lousy threading of OSX. Draw your own conclusions.