DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Massive crash. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/493994-massive-crash.html)

Bob Hart April 2nd, 2011 01:19 PM

Massive crash.

Since installing CS5 under Windows 7 Home Edition there have been periodic hangs of CS5 in much the same way as PP2 used to lay down on an older system. As I previously mentioned rather cynically on this topic, it is re-assurance when there are constants in life.

Tonight, when working on a 2K project in CS5 and Cineform Neo in a 2K preset, CS5 crashed and then the operating system itself disappeared and the computer monitor indicated no signal.

The computer had to be reset. Since then it will no longer get beyond the "welcome" sign when starting. In safe mode, Premiere Pro in CS5 is the program which when tested will not start but crashes before the start-up placard disappears.

A system restore back to the pre-installation state has not worked. So it looks like clean re-installs and all the humbug of getting activations etc which is a biggest headache.

Here are some of the error messages, which are all doubledutch to me but might mean something to somebody a little more computer savvy. Any advice appreciated :-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 3/04/2011 2:32:05 AM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Robert-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-04-02T18:32:05.607219500Z" />
<EventRecordID>8499</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Robert-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 3/04/2011 2:32:17 AM
Event ID: 7026
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Robert-PC
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AFD
DfsC
discache
MpFilter
NetBIOS
NetBT
nsiproxy
Psched
rdbss
spldr
tdx
Wanarpv6
WfpLwf
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7026</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-04-02T18:32:17.322840100Z" />
<EventRecordID>8524</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="524" ThreadID="528" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Robert-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">
AFD
DfsC
discache
MpFilter
NetBIOS
NetBT
nsiproxy
Psched
rdbss
spldr
tdx
Wanarpv6
WfpLwf</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jay West April 2nd, 2011 09:55 PM

Re: Massive crash.

Ouch.

I went through something very like this a month ago. In my case, the computer hung with a total lock-up. I had to do a hard reboot. On reboot, Windows gave me a screen about installing updates. (I have had switched off automatic updating but Win 7 periodically switches it back on. ) Windows then hung on the splash screen. I tried safe mode. I could be wrong but I do not believe that PPro CS5 will run under safe mode, so all I tried to do was use system restore. All my restore points were corrupted. Restoring from the system system back-ups did not help. Windows still would hang at the splash screen on boot up and still said I had no restore points when I could get to safe mode.

I checked the drive and found no bad sectors. Rather than reformatting the drive, I simply reinstalled Win 7 and all my apps. The PPro project started right up where it left off and ran fine. . The system is now booting signifcantly faster and running better, so there is that small consolation.

Sorry I do not have better news.

Bob Hart April 3rd, 2011 03:09 AM

Jay.

Thank you for your response.

I am in the situation where I have little time to stand over the computer and fret so will have to wait awhile to do stuff to it. I had contemplated the install-over route so may still give that a go. Premiere and Neo will have to be re-installed as the restore point used was back at build and still did not work beyond the "welcome" screen which I guess is what you refer to as the splash screen.

The little revolving circle douvre thing in centre of the screen just stops and after I give the computer an hour to think about things, nothing has moved.

Robert Young April 5th, 2011 11:13 AM

I have had similar disasters periodically over the years.
I finally got into the habit of routinely imaging my system drive with Acronis True Image on a monthly schedule, as well as prior to making a big software change (upgrade or change the OS, massive install like CS5, etc.).
It has totally saved the day on many occasions by turning a mysterious & fatal software collapse ( or System HD failure) into a simple 20 minute system drive restore.
Seems like whatever the fatal glitch- software or hardware, if it can happen, eventually it will happen :(

Jay West April 5th, 2011 01:11 PM

Acronis True Image is $49.99 on the web site.

I've used Seagate's Replica software which came with the back-up drive and it did not work with the last crash. I'll give Acronis a try.

Thanks, Bob.

Robert Young April 5th, 2011 05:25 PM

The Acronis products have been around for many, many years.
They produce very high level imaging products for big systems, as well as the consumer level products that I have used for years.
Personally, I have never seen it fail.

Steve Kalle April 5th, 2011 10:26 PM

I have always used Acronis' Workstation edition which usually costs around $100 and they have an add-on program "Universal Restore" which allows restoring your image to a different computer. I have only used UR once several years ago and it worked without a problem. Currently, their workstation version is 'Backup and Recovery 10 Advanced Workstation' Data backup and disaster recovery software for workstations

If you have several computers on a network, this advanced version works beautifully. When I do side jobs of setting up office networks, I always use this version and setup each computer to backup to a central backup server which is raided (R1). I have the file server setup to backup over ethernet to another workstation on the network in addition to an eSata drive connected to the file server.

Btw, you don't need to be tech savvy to understand how to setup the workstation version. When setting up the backup process, each setting is clearly explained.

Personally, my favorite part of the workstation version is its 'Grandfather Scheme'. On my home workstation, my backup process works like this: back up daily Monday-Thursday and each daily backup is saved as its own with only the last 7 daily backups saved. Then, I have it back up every Friday as a weekly backup with the last 3 weekly backups saved. Then, every 4th Sunday is backed up as a monthly backup with the last 3 monthly backups saved. This backup plan gives me great protection and the ability to go back to prior versions of projects. For example, it allows me to go back to a previously saved After Effects project in case I screwed up something by overwriting the project file, accidentally deleting the file or in most cases, I want to go back to a prior version of a composition. This backup scheme greatly helped me when a client ended up wanting part of a prior edit from the previous week. All I did was mount the image from that day as a virtual drive and copied the project file.