DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Faster with SLI? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/494769-faster-sli.html)

Bo Sundvall April 19th, 2011 01:41 AM

Faster with SLI?

Hi

I've just built a new PC from scratch and installed a Zotac GTX470 which, together with PPro Mercury playback engine, produce remarkable performance from my point of view. What I wounder about now is if I will get even more performace if I buy another GTX470 and install the grahic cards as SLI-devices? Anyone have an oppinion about this?

Regards,

/Bo

Roger Averdahl April 19th, 2011 03:02 AM

Re: Faster with SLI?

CS5 do not support SLI and nor will CS5.5, so SLI wont give any performance gain when using GPU Acceleration.

Ann Bens April 19th, 2011 03:02 AM

Premiere does not support SLI.

Roger beat me to it, he's fast :-)

Bo Sundvall April 19th, 2011 05:14 AM

OK, better to spend the money on other things!

Thanks for the info!

Regards,

/Bo

Roger Averdahl April 19th, 2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Sundvall (Post 1640622)
OK, better to spend the money on other things!

Yes, make sure to have plenty of RAM. Aim for 12GB as a minimum.

Randall Leong April 19th, 2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Averdahl (Post 1640679)
Yes, make sure to have plenty of RAM. Aim for 12GB as a minimum.

Actually, even 12GB isn't quite enough for optimal performance in CS5: Testing using Harm Millaard's and Bill Gehrke's PPBM5 benchmark tests showed that the addition of even 2GB (making the total 14GB) improved performance significantly compared to the 12GB base configuration.

And as all of the repliers have noted, Premiere supports only one GPU. The second card is not used at all when running Premiere. What's more, if the single card contains two GPUs (such as the GTX 590 card that's actually two GPUs in a single package), only one of the GPUs is used at all, leaving half of the GTX 590 unused.

Roger Averdahl April 19th, 2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall Leong (Post 1640757)
Actually, even 12GB isn't quite enough for optimal performance in CS5:

Thats why i wrote minimum and not optimal. :)

Tom Miller April 19th, 2011 01:57 PM

i have a GTX 570 haven't worked on any big projects yet but so far its a nice card

Bo Sundvall April 20th, 2011 02:01 AM

Hi

Randall, the test you are reffering to, is that somewhere here on dvinfo or is it on an other web site? I now have 8GB memory installed on the new machine but thinking of installing 8GB more, total 16GB. If a performace improvement is gained with that amount of memory it will be real nice. It would be interresting to se some test verifying that more than 12GB improves performance. :-)

Regards,

/Bo

Tom Miller April 20th, 2011 07:12 AM

in the same boat is you i have 8gb and just ordered 8gb more so we will see what happens...

Randall Leong April 20th, 2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Sundvall (Post 1641018)
Hi

Randall, the test you are reffering to, is that somewhere here on dvinfo or is it on an other web site? I now have 8GB memory installed on the new machine but thinking of installing 8GB more, total 16GB. If a performace improvement is gained with that amount of memory it will be real nice. It would be interresting to se some test verifying that more than 12GB improves performance. :-)

Regards,

/Bo

Look at the results list at ppbm5.com. Click on the link to the results list, and look for two stock-speed entries starting with "Randall's Steamer" - specifically the 247-second and the 297-second results. You'll find that my 12GB configuration got a result of 297 seconds while that same system with 16GB got 247 seconds. (Specifically, the MPEG-2 DVD score improved from 93 seconds with 12GB to 43 seconds with 16GB.) The same CPU (i7-950 @ 3.06 GHz) and GPU (GTX 470) were used in both systems.