DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   CS5 DSLR Editing: Bigger RAM or upgrade Video Card? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/494798-cs5-dslr-editing-bigger-ram-upgrade-video-card.html)

Harm Millaard April 25th, 2011 10:24 AM

Re: CS5 DSLR Editing: Bigger RAM or upgrade Video Card?

Quote:

expensive - yes, no performance gains - well, I just upgraded to two revo drives with internal raid 0, 100Gb for system drive and 240Gb as a scratch plus 2x2Tb WD 7200rpm raid 0 for storage, and it's at least two times faster compare to 4x7200rpm raid 0 SATA disks setup that I had before
Shown how? What are the gains in the PPBM5 benchmark?

Quote:

way faster? what SSDs you refer to? plus RAID 3 is not the ideal setup for read and definitely not the best for write operations, and I wouldn't care about storage space too much, today it is becoming really inexpensive
Intel 510. Raid3 is the best raid level for video, not for websites or on-line shopping sites. Caring about storage space, since you said it is becoming really inexpensive, means that you don't care about an investment of $ 23 K for SSD's versus $ 600 for conventional disks for the same storage. Some folks here may differ in that opinion. Let alone the added raid controllers required.

Buba Kastorski April 25th, 2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harm Millaard (Post 1642752)
Shown how? What are the gains in the PPBM5 benchmark?

I don't do benchmarks for PP my friend :)
i do video, and if it takes 5 Hrs to render (which is ridiculously long compare to Vegas render times) on the new setup, compare to 10 Hrs and 45 min on the old one - i don't even need extensive testing to be done :)
Quote:

Intel 510.

I am sorry, I worked too long with SATA RAID0 to believe that it writes way faster than 300mbs; and with revo it's 500mbs
but I didn't benchmark that :)
Quote:

Raid3 is the best raid level for video, not for websites or on-line shopping sites. Caring about storage space, since you said it is becoming really inexpensive, means that you don't care about an investment of $ 23 K for SSD's versus $ 600 for conventional disks for the same storage. Some folks here may differ in that opinion. Let alone the added raid controllers required.

best RAID level for video editing would probably be 10, but this is very subjective and depends on budget and personal preferences, for me RAID 0 is the best, because I don't care much about redundancy, i have multiple backups and data los is not an issue, speed is what I want from my system;
Storage space - yes it's cheap these days, but I wouldn't list Gb per dollar amount as an advantage of the SATA drives over the SSDs if we're talking about storage and backups, I'd rather use two different hard disks in two different locations, and for sure they wouldn't be SSDs :), unless you're running large business database use SSDs for storage does not make any sense;
btw, revo drives do not require raid controllers, it is internal RAID0

Ryan Czaplinski April 25th, 2011 03:29 PM

Buba-

Thanks for your posts! That's actually nest on my list is running x2 SATA drives as a RAID 0 for another performance boost. I have backup so the redundancy to data loss prevention isn't a concern to me.

I have a P6T Deluxe and right now it's getting to be pretty tight quarters in there. I only have 2 slots open for HDDs.

Does anyone have a good recommendation of brand? I hear the Samsung Spinpoint F4's are great. Of course the higher MB cache the better too. I do things roughly project to project and store things on BluRay media as archive, so I would only need about 2TB max to get by comfortably.

Thanks!

Buba Kastorski April 27th, 2011 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Czaplinski (Post 1642875)
Buba - Thanks for your posts!

I'm always glad when my limited experience can help someone else;
I don't think that there will be significant performance difference between any brands of 7200rpm drives, but my preferred manufacturer is Western Digital - never had any problem, but Seagate and Fujitsu drives died on me a few times;

Noa Put April 27th, 2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harm Millaard (Post 1642648)
SSD's as a boot disk do not offer a performance gain over a conventional disk

Really? That I didn't know, so you are saying a SSD bootdisc won't make any difference compared to a regular harddisc? Why is everybody claiming their system is overall much more responsive when they use SSD's?

Harm Millaard April 27th, 2011 12:14 PM

Because boot times may drop from 65 seconds to 60 seconds, and that is hardly worth mentioning.

Because program load times may drop from 4 to 3 seconds and that for a once a day event is not worth mentioning either.

Because while using PR it makes no difference at all.

All it impacts is price and bragging rights.

Ryan Czaplinski April 27th, 2011 02:40 PM

Well I think also that depends on what SSD you get. Some SSDs perform much faster than others.

I use an OCZ Vertex Turbo and that has been running like a champ for a long time now. Love the silence and runs very cool and uses less energy. I personally love my OS SSD disk. Wished there were larger capacity ones at cheaper prices.

Noa Put April 27th, 2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harm Millaard (Post 1643558)
All it impacts is price and bragging rights.

Thx Harm for your explanation, then I'm glad I reused my "old" WD raptor in my new pc as bootdisc. :)