DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes After Using The Trim Monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/494862-premiere-pro-cs5-crashes-after-using-trim-monitor.html)

Paul Cuoco April 20th, 2011 04:51 PM

Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes After Using The Trim Monitor

I recently upgraded to CS5 for the MPE after using CS4/Cineform to cut my DSLR footage. I'm working on my first project with CS5 and every time I use the Trim Monitor to fine tune an edit, as soon as I close the trim monitor, Premiere hangs eventually giving me " (Not Responding)" and I have to force it to quit.

This is 100% repeatable, every time I try it, even with different types of media.

I'm running an up to date Vista64
The latest nVidia drivers for my GTX285
i7 920 processor
12GB ram
2 TB raid 0 media drive.

I'm considering going back to CS4 to cut the project but that's a bit of a ridiculous workaround after specifically upgrading to speed up my workflow.

Has anyone else come across this issue? I've scoured the net and only found 1 thread on Adobe's forums from a year ago. That person had to roll back windows to 6/2010 to get it stop. I'd prefer not to have to do that.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Paul

Adam Gold April 20th, 2011 05:12 PM

Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes After Using The Trim Monitor

Hm. Is this when using Cineform or not?

Some things to try:

--Create a new project and import the old one into it.

--Hold down the SHIFT key when starting Premiere, until it asks you what project to open.

--Do you have all the CS5 updates installed?

--How long do you let it sit there in the (Not Responding) state before you quit? Sometimes it needs to think a while and eventually snaps out of it.

--Even if you are not using a Cineform preset, try uninstalling whatever Cineform products you have -- it cleared up a lot of stuff for me.

--This probably isn't it, but you could try upgrading to Win 7, although Vista 64 was very well-behaved for me.

--What happens if you use the Source monitor rather than the Trim Monitor to fine-tune cuts? Or the Timeline? Possibly a better workaround until you can debug this issue.

These are just general purpose "smacks upside the head" to get Premiere in line, but not necessarily tailored to your specific issue.

Paul Cuoco April 20th, 2011 05:25 PM

Thanks Adam.

Yes, Premiere is up to date with version 5.0.3 I was trying to avoid transcoding to Cineform, hence the upgrade to CS5. But I did think of that and uninstalled Cineform, but still have the same problem. I even tried updating Cineform as well to no avail.

I have tried letting it "think" for awhile when I see the "Not Responding" and even took a coffee break and came back to find windows had popped up the "This program has stopped working" dialog.

I thought of upgrading to Win 7, but hadn't had any issues with Vista64 (until this.)

All the other editing functions, trimming in the source monitor and timeline, work great. It's just on the occasion that I want to fine tune with the trim monitor that the issue comes up. God forbid I accidentally hit the "T" key.

Pete Bauer April 20th, 2011 05:45 PM

Can't rule out some residual from Cineform, so agree doing a complete uninstall of Cineform is step one. (I have to admit that I am not using the Neo4K I was entitled to when they d/c'ed the ProspectHD line because I've never felt like risking my smooth running setup -- since then there are just enough people continuing to report issues to make me uncomfortable).

I gather that you did a straight upgrade, meaning you don't have both CS4 and CS5 installed on the same system? That SHOULDN'T be a problem, but I have had such a conflict occur in my system (can't remember if it was CS3 to CS4, or the latest upgrade).

If that's not the case, the next thing is to completely uninstall and run Adobe's Cleaner Tool applet before re-installing, ESPECIALLY if you had installed a trial or beta on that computer at any point in the past.

I'd feel bad to suggest all the effort and then be wrong, but given that we've not heard others report this issue, my gut says if you were to just bite the bullet and do a clean OS + CS5 install after wiping the drive, the problem would go away.

If not, then definitely contact Adobe.

Adam Gold April 20th, 2011 05:58 PM

I'm with Pete on this one. Try the first two things I suggested and see if they help at all. If not, then biting the bullet may be the best bet.

Also, I usually ignore anything Windows tells me, even when it thinks Premiere has stopped working. If you ignore it long enough Premiere may come back -- there may be a way to x out the box without agreeing to close the program.

Paul Cuoco April 20th, 2011 06:10 PM

Thanks guys. Adam I will try the first two things you suggested tonight when I get back to the machine and report back. Already did the uninstall of Cineform (it was just NeoScene).

Pete, I did not do an upgrade and have both CS4 and CS5 on the computer simultaneously (which I did because of some plugins I had for CS4 that weren't CS5 64bit compatible. I figured if I needed them I could use them in the old program in a pinch.) But I will try uninstalling it and see if that solves the problem if the above suggestions don't work.

Thanks.

Paul Cuoco April 20th, 2011 09:20 PM

OK, I tried the first 2 things, and opened and closed the trim monitor. The system didn't hang immediately allowing me to save, but once I tried to play back a clip from the timeline or source monitor it hung up again. I let it stay hung to see if it cleared itself up. I just got the spinning cursor for 20 minutes and gave up and closed it out.

For the hell of it I tried turning off hardware acceleration of MPE, but that also had no effect, and still locked up.

I also tried loading the project in CS4 which worked just fine other than choking on the untranscoded DSLR footage.

I don't really have time tonight to uninstall and reinstall with the Adobe Cleaner Tool, so I'm going to work around using the trim monitor for now and maybe try that tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help.

Paul Cuoco April 25th, 2011 03:29 PM

Still a no go. I've reinstalled CS4 and Cineform and transcoded the footage and I'm cutting away now with no issues. Once I finish the project and have a bit more time, I'll do a wipe and reinstall with CS5.

A did get a reply on the Adobe forum for the 2 people that also had this issue, and they weren't able to make it go away and it's been almost a year. There's always CS5.5 I guess. Thanks guys.

Pete Bauer April 25th, 2011 07:15 PM

I'm sorry neither Adobe nor we were able to help, but I am glad that Adobe actually did respond and try to work the problem with you. Yes, CS5.5 isn't far off so that would be a great time to do a clean install!

Paul Cuoco May 31st, 2011 06:28 PM

Just an update for those who helped. My OS drive died on me over the weekend. I don't keep projects or much of anything else on there so I didn't lose anything important, but I took the opportunity to do a clean install of everything on Windows 7 x64. The trim monitor now works just fine, and the system as a whole seems a whole lot more responsive.

Thank again for your help and suggestions.