DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Previewing HD on second monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/495403-previewing-hd-second-monitor.html)

Vincent Oliver May 4th, 2011 01:12 AM

Previewing HD on second monitor

Hi,

At the moment I am using a Matrox RTX2 card to preview my CS5.03 HD timeline on a second LCD screen, the quality is outstanding.

I have now downloaded the CS5.5 suite and have read that the Matrox RTX2 card will not support this version. I haven't installed CS5.5 yet as I still have a couple of projects on the go. I rely on the LCD screen for my colour correction work and seeing the detail etc.

My question is, is there any other hardware that will let me preview a full HD timeline on a second LCD screen?

I have a nvidia G470 and Matrox RTX2 cards fitted. I also have a JVC CRT studio monitor, although this doesn't work with a HD timeline.

Bart Walczak May 4th, 2011 01:43 AM

Re: Previewing HD on second monitor

You can use Blackmagic Decklink Studio or Intensity Pro card, and connect it to your monitor via HDMI/DVI or if your LCD has component inputs, you could use those.

Vincent Oliver May 4th, 2011 01:47 AM

My nvidia G470 has HDMI output too, but this will only output a duplicate of the current screen on my second LCD. The Matrox card actually outputs the HD content without any interface. Does the Blackmagic do the same?

Bart Walczak May 4th, 2011 02:57 AM

Yes. If you have HDMI input, just use HDMI cable. If not, you will need HDMI to DVI adapter.

Ann Bens May 4th, 2011 04:25 AM

If you want to work with 3 screen you will have to place a second (lesser) nvidia card from the same series to get your 3 monitor working.
If you only use 2 the present card is sufficient.

Vincent Oliver May 4th, 2011 04:36 AM

Not sure if have made my point clear.

I can output a second LCD screen from my nvidia G470 card and also use the second LCD as an extended desktop, no problem.The G470 has dual DVi output and a HDMI. I can move a preview window onto the second screen and fill the space if required, although the picture quality is not very good.

With my current RTX2 card I can see the entire 2nd LCD screen (Full HD screen) as a HD preview, no application interface, just pure HD footage straight from the timeline. The quality is excellent, just like watching a BluRay disk.

My problem is that the new version of CS5.5 does not support the RTX2 card and Matrox will not be supplying an update for this card, it is being discontinued. So when I switch to CS5.5 I will not be able to preview my footage on the Full HD screen.

What I would like to know, is there any other card that will output a Full HD display of my timeline, without any Premiere interface bits.

Zoran Vincic May 4th, 2011 05:53 AM

I use an HDTV connected to a HDMI port on my graphic card and set as a secondary display and there's an option in playback settings to use it as a full screen preview. Works as a charm.

I'm currently using only one graphic card in my editing system so I'm limited to one monitor and one HDTV for preview.

Vincent Oliver May 4th, 2011 05:58 AM

Yes, my card has that option too, but the quality from a full screen preview is not the same as viewing the timeline in Full HD. The difference is poles apart.

Bart Walczak May 4th, 2011 08:50 AM

Vincent, you were quite clear for me. Blackmagic will do for you what you want.

Vincent Oliver May 4th, 2011 09:04 AM

Thanks Bart, I will look into the BlackMagic option

Ann Bens May 4th, 2011 10:37 AM

Yes you were quite clear to me either.
Two Nvidia cards will do the same for three monitor.

Adam Gold May 4th, 2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1645519)
The Matrox card actually outputs the HD content without any interface.

So does Premiere, natively. Just go to Playback settings and tell it to output to your second monitor. Full HD. No interface. You can do this without moving the preview window to the second monitor, which as you noted does not result in very good quality.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1645552)
With my current RTX2 card I can see the entire 2nd LCD screen (Full HD screen) as a HD preview, no application interface, just pure HD footage straight from the timeline. The quality is excellent, just like watching a BluRay disk.

What I would like to know, is there any other card that will output a Full HD display of my timeline, without any Premiere interface bits.

This is exactly what Premiere does by itself, no hardware required. I must be missing something in your question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1645573)
... the quality from a full screen preview is not the same as viewing the timeline in Full HD. The difference is poles apart.

It should be the same. It is for me. Make sure you have Paused Resolution set to Full.

Bruce Watson May 4th, 2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 1645684)
So does Premiere, natively. Just go to Playback settings and tell it to output to your second monitor. Full HD. No interface.

I thought this was the case -- but I don't see how to tell it to use, say, the HDMI output to display the realtime playback -- how does it know? Is PP making assumptions based on the HDMI handshaking that takes place between the display and the Nvidia G470?

But the bottom line is that PP will display all the "working" panels on your first monitor, and the realtime playback on an HDTV, all with no additional hardware, yes? So you'll get WYSIWYG, more or less. IOW, what you edit is what you'll see on a TV once you've exported to a blu-ray disk and played it back on a TV, yes?

Adam Gold May 4th, 2011 01:03 PM

That's how it works for me, yes. But if you use a third party preset, all the options may not be available. I haven't used Cineform since CS3, for example, but if you used a Cineform Preset to make a Cineform project, full-screen playback on the second monitor wasn't possible with NVidia cards. Your Playback Settings screen was Cineform's, not Premiere's, and the same options just weren't available.

Use the dropdown on your Program Monitor (or on the General Tab when creating a new project) and choose Playback Settings. You should have an option to play back on an external monitor, and your second monitor should show up on the dropdown list.

Jay West May 4th, 2011 03:23 PM

Vincent:

Are you looking to run an LCD HD television or an LCD computer monitor as your third screen? I recollect (perhaps incorrectly) that the RTX2 could give monitoring either through a DVI output (for hooking to a computer monitor or, with a converter dongle, to an HDMI port pn a tv or monitor) or via component cables to a high def tv.

Some of the suggestions here are for running a third computer monitor and some are for running a tv signal out to a tv. Assuming you want to use a tv (or a monitor in tv mode), the least expensive options are from Matrox and Black Magic Design

The Intensity Pro card is an older card but is still available from B&H for about $199 ($US). It has some timeline format limitations that got varying responses from DVinfo members. Some hated it, some loved it. A search of forum posts will turn up a number of discussions of it over the last few years. It would be a good thing to search those to find out whether a BMD card will have limitations that will enhance or interfere with the way you work.

BMD seems to be replacing the "Intensity Pro" with the new "Intensity Shuttle." This is also about $199, and can be run from either a USB 3.0 port or from a PCIe card slot. Do note that the Intensity Shuttle is only supported for certain motherboards. Blackmagic Design: Intensity

Have you looked at Matrox's MXO2-Mini? I have one which has worked very well for me with CS4 and 5. The MXO2 Mini might (or might not) be somewhat familiar to you as an RTX2 user, and also would allow you to continue using component video if that is what you have been doing. (It also does hdmi, which is how I use it.)There might be an upgrade package from Matrox. A good thimg to check.

At $459, the "Mini" is more than twice the price of the Black Magic Design products. The Mini has some screen calibration utilities which make the picture better on an external monitor and which I find very useful for what I do. The Mini probably would not be suitable for high-end color grading. For that, you would want say, a Dreamcolor monitor or an AJA card. That, of course, requires a budget that makes the cost of a "Mini" seem postively paltry.

CS 5.5 should be supported by the "mini." Matrox has announced that software will be available as a free upgrade for supporting CS 5.5. See: Matrox Announces Support for Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Production Premium Software

I have been holding off on upgrading from PPro CS5 to CS5.5 in part because I do not know when that free upgrade will be available from Matrox.

If memory serves, the RTX2 card is a very large one. The cards for the Black Magic units and the Matrox Mini will seem tiny. A bit mroe flexibiity there.