DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   project manager in premiere pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/49998-project-manager-premiere-pro.html)

Jon Turner August 25th, 2005 02:50 PM

project manager in premiere pro

cannot get this damn feature to work at either trimming or consolidating files for my feature (90 mins) project (c.10 hours raw footage). every attempt results in 'unknown error' after 20 minutes wasted processing time. also it is slow AS HELL and has infuriating latency problems.

the app should be renamed 'adobe second-rate amateur 1.5'

Steven Gotz August 25th, 2005 03:10 PM

It works fine for me!

Maybe you should ask for help instead of just complaining about your problems. It works fine for me.

Jon Turner August 25th, 2005 03:19 PM

help please!

the program will not do what it is supposed to do for me.

there is a problem with everything! it successfully saves three out of five times.

all the problems have started since the project got to its present size, it was fine until now.

what to do?

Steven Gotz August 25th, 2005 03:27 PM

Try this. Make two copies of your project. Open one and delete half of the sequences - or if one sequence, delete half of it.

Then open the other and delete the portions you kept the last time.

Try trimming each new project. If it succeeds, import the second one into the first. If it does not succeed, cut even more away until you find the offending file.

Jon Turner August 25th, 2005 03:41 PM

thanks

thank you for the suggestion, i have been trying that technique all day, but my project is complex and the program constantly fails to save and is unworkably slow at executing every command. looks like it going to be a long night.

Steven Gotz August 25th, 2005 05:43 PM

Try importing the entire project into a newly created project. Perhaps there is a problem in one of the file headers.

Ken E. Williams August 26th, 2005 11:15 AM

I've had problems trimming a 30 minute TV show. In my case, the answer was to look at the 'output' folder, compare it to the project's resources and see which file the Project Manager choked on. The problem was caused by a video clip file that had read errors.

Jonathan Nicholas August 29th, 2005 12:16 PM

I've also had a problem with this just now - in prem 6.5 you this feature would do a consolidation and make lots of video clips that make up your edit, whereas now it just copies the chunks of video I've edited with - end result no reduction in hard disk use.

This feature is now only any good if I've digitised in very small pieces.

Jon

Joshua Provost August 29th, 2005 12:19 PM

Jon, you might try deleting the two or three preview and conformed folders in your project folders that Premiere creates. These can become corrupted and cause problems on previews and renders. Deleting them will cause Premiere to start fresh and re-render previews and re-conform audio, and it has done the trick for me in the past.

Steven Gotz August 29th, 2005 01:27 PM

Jonathan,

Many people do capture using Scene Detection, so small pieces are normal. But if you capture DV AVI it should still create new AVI files and save a lot of disk space if you tell it to trim the project.

Jon Turner August 30th, 2005 04:50 AM

steven

I think i figured what the problem was. It can't have been the size of the project because it's now working fine.

I think it was that I had several video tracks and in each track there were many small clips, some only one frame long which were effectively functioning as an animation.

I was finally happy with the edit and exported these 'animations' as movies, imported the exports as sequences, and deleted the original edits (now surplus to requirements).

Having simplified it, everythings a lot faster, as you would expect, and the project manager works, and the program saves! (can't see how the complexity of a project would affect that in any way other than time taken).

Steven Gotz August 30th, 2005 06:56 AM

Interesting. Thanks for posting your solution.