DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Announces Production Premium CS6 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/506859-adobe-announces-production-premium-cs6.html)

Thomas Smet April 23rd, 2012 02:08 PM

Re: Adobe Announces Production Premium CS6

You may not get a very good upgrade path when CS7 comes out if you don't have CS6. Adobe may only offer this same price upgrade path for older versions this one time only.

Robert Young April 23rd, 2012 04:46 PM

Hmmm....
Just looking at the Adobe website- upgrade of Production Premium CS5.5 to Production Premium CS6 is only $375.
Looks like a bargain to me.
I think I paid $600 to go from CS4 to CS5
Actually, CS4 to CS5 was priceless... :)

Steve Kalle April 23rd, 2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Bell (Post 1729038)
Just checked the " UPGRADE " price from CS5.... $750... So I'm sitting here asking... will the final output from CS6 be any different than the output from CS5 (CS5.5).. of course the answer is no...

So, it looks like I'm skipping out of this one... by the time I would upgrade to CS6 and spend the time and extra cost for all of the 3rd party plug-in programs that I have it will end up costing me a couple thousand $$$..

I could get a new camera for that...

see ya Adobe...

And who said you must upgrade your plug-ins or pay for them to be upgraded? Nothing of the sort occurred with CS5 to 5.5.

Andrew Stone April 23rd, 2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Young (Post 1729123)
Hmmm....
Just looking at the Adobe website- upgrade of Production Premium CS5.5 to Production Premium CS6 is only $375.
Looks like a bargain to me.
I think I paid $600 to go from CS4 to CS5
Actually, CS4 to CS5 was priceless... :)

Not denying that it is a good deal; getting cloud services along with ALL of Adobe apps, however, if you purchase CS6 Cloud at announcement time, you will be paying $675 for 18 months of use. Here's the math... You get 12 months at $30 a month and then the next six months are at $50 a month. In other words $360 for the first 12 months and $300 for the next six months. In essence you are getting Master Colleciton with Cloud services for slightly less than the price of the heavily discounted Production Premimum CS5.5 a few months back. It is a deal but it is not $375. for the whole length of time that CS6 will be sold.

Kevin Currie April 23rd, 2012 11:52 PM

Interesting:
CS5 --> CS6 = $749
BUT
CS5 --> CS5.5 = $399 WITH FREE UPGRADE TO CS6 until May 6!

*Production Premium CS from Adobe.com, US $

My question is, is there a catch? If I go this route, do I have to go through the hassle of installing CS5.5 in order for CS6 to install properly? Or can I buy it to get the deal, and then keep using CS5 until CS6 shows up?

Robert Young April 24th, 2012 12:20 AM

Usually, to install the Adobe upgrade version (CS6), it is not necessary that the older version actually be installed.
You'll just need to enter the prior version SN/Activation Key when asked.

Kevin Currie April 24th, 2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Young (Post 1729186)
Usually, to install the Adobe upgrade version (CS6), it is not necessary that the older version actually be installed.
You'll just need to enter the prior version SN/Activation Key when asked.

Thanks! Guess I will go the cheaper route and get 5.5 even though I was planning on skipping it and going to straight to 6.

Alan Craven April 24th, 2012 05:21 AM

I expect Adobe have a lot of unsold CS5.5 disks to dispose of!

Vincent Oliver April 24th, 2012 05:24 AM

The Adobe disks work very well for scaring birds, especially in an Apple orchard :-)

Ray Bell April 24th, 2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kalle (Post 1729155)
And who said you must upgrade your plug-ins or pay for them to be upgraded? Nothing of the sort occurred with CS5 to 5.5.

CS5 is when Adobe switched to 64bit only...
that upgrade was murder on all of my plug-ins... still haven't recovered from it all
Premier,After affects and Photo shop... not to mention Hard Ware upgrades to add it all

Pete Bauer April 24th, 2012 11:55 AM

There's already getting to be a FUD factor here in this thread. Let's keep it factual. Directly from the Adobe site, here are the upgrade prices:

From.....Upgrade price to MC6
MC 5.5......525
PP 5.5.....1049
MC 5.0....1049
PP 5.0.....1049
MC 4.......1399
PP 4........1399
MC 3.x.....1399
PP 3.x......1399

From.....Upgrade Price to Prod Premium
MC 5.5.....375
PP 5.5......375
MC 5.0.....749
PP 5.0......749
MC 4........949
PP 4.........949
MC 3.x......949
PP 3.x.......949

CLOUD
(Equivalent of MC plus the Cloud Apps, immediate updates/upgrades, probable additional apps later in the year...hoping Lightroom 4.x...and 20GB cloud space with automatic synching of CS files):

Introductory offer for existing customers as far back as CS3: 29.99/mo x 12 months = 359.88
49.99/mo x12 months = 599.88 for NEW customers

If you look back at the upgrade costs for the last couple of releases, they stay right in the same ballpark:
A Spring Surprise from Adobe: CS5.5 at DVInfo.net

That's what a massive suite of state of the art production software costs. In particular, I think the Adobe Creative Cloud offer is a pretty good deal. If you don't think so, then you certainly have the option to stick with what you have!

Adam Gold April 24th, 2012 02:39 PM

On your chart above, does PP mean Production Premium or Premiere Pro? I assume the former.

Pete Bauer April 24th, 2012 05:33 PM

Yes, Production Premium. And MC means Master Collection.

Dan Tolbertson April 24th, 2012 09:17 PM

Your chart is missing the best deal going though? Those prices really only affect someone that already has Version 5.5

If you have a previous version then it is a different price to upgrade to CS5.5 and you will get a free update to CS6 when it releases.

It worked for me as I have Production Prem CS5 and I paid $399 (NOT the $749 your chart shows) very sweet deal it seems for everyone if they act before May 6th

So just for the record in the past few upgrades I have never got an upgrade for only $399
CS4 to 5 was $599 as an example.

Pete Bauer April 24th, 2012 09:29 PM

Good point, Dan. It'll also help those out there with CS2 who would otherwise be left out of the upgrade pricing offers. I heard about the 5.5 - 6.0 free upgrade at NAB and also get ad emails from Videoguys for that same offer (plus/minus a few dollars, good through May 6th) but didn't think about adding that info in my chart.

EDIT: Turns out the 5.5 offer at the Adobe site is kind of buried in the online Adobe Store:

https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/sto...5&store=OLS-US
https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/sto...5&store=OLS-US